FZ6 R6 motor swap.

fire561

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I have an 09 FZ6 that threw a rod putting a whole in the case right under the starter on the back side and a crack on the front side. I'm having a really hard time finding an FZ6 motor with in a decent radius of where I live (around Tulsa, Oklahoma). Micro-sprint cars are pretty popular around here and they use a R6 motor pretty often. I have heard of people doing the R6 swap before, and with more decent R6 motors around here (and for quite a bit cheaper) I was planning on doing the swap. Anyone tried it before or have any advice? Pictures attached.

joshk5145

Reaction score
Visit site
There is a member that just did this swap, I believe he documented the process should come up with a quick search.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you follow the thread, it is EXTREMLY INVOLVED, not cheap, just about everything electrical, frame modified, etc was done.

IMO, it'd be much cheaper and easier paying shipping to put the stock engine back in there.

Check the for sale section here, there's usually a bike getting parted out and /or put a WTB ad up..

Good luck..

BTW, did you over rev it, run out of oil, ?

fire561

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not positive what caused it. The bike wasn't high miles but I was doin 154 when it blew. I have heard of people being way harder on their FZ's and they just ask for more. High rpm's is a good possibility. I'm not planning on swapping the wiring harness or the throttle bodies as of yet if they work. I have a busy that completely rebuild an engine for 250 and another that just wants a project so price shouldn't be too bad unless I'm just not seeing something. I'm more or a mental midget than mental giant when it comes to mechanical issues. I'm trying my best to learn I'm just better at riding.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I do like to ride some what like this though so that might explain it. But I have always heard people ride hard and they ask for more.. http://youtu.be/fMgaZJpl6zY

Surprised he isn't dead or in jail... Anyone want to buy a low mileage, babied FZ? Ridden to church on Sundays only.

BTW, there's another member here who wrecked his bike (minor damage but the insurance wants to total it-good engine).

You two may want to get together and make one bike...

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Surprised he isn't dead or in jail... Anyone want to buy a low mileage (80,000 miles), babied FZ? Ridden to church on Sundays only.

BTW, there's another member here who wrecked his bike (minor damage but the insurance wants to total it-good engine).

You two may want to get together and make one bike...

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I think it's in the form rules about posting vids like that:don'tknow:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do like to ride some what like this though so that might explain it. But I have always heard people ride hard and they ask for more.. http://youtu.be/fMgaZJpl6zY

Wow, you are a serious mental midget. You stupid ****, you don't go 95+ in traffic let alone 145+.

If you want to go that fast in the craptacular state of Jokelahoma, go to the Indian Nation Turnpike where it is arrow straight, no traffic, and if you off no one will find you.

You Sir, are as dumb as a stump and deserve a blown motor.

fire561

Reaction score
Visit site
Mental midget in the terms of mechanics.. I'm a firefighter/EMT I run in bike wrecks 4-5 times a month. I knows chances and I defiantly know the consequences (I have been in life flight breathing for a victim of a bike accident on the way to the trauma center. Grow a pair on your wheels don't criticize people online to get off. Also I grew up in Florida so your stupid little
Oklahoma joke is pointless. Get a real life.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now I know why my gas mileage has been bad, you're already at 8000+ on a trip and barely knock a peg down on your gas gauge. I need to commute your style so I can get infinitely more then even 200mi out of my tank :D

Last edited: