FZ6 is a beast!

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I do not pick flat lands like Illinois to ride. I pick nice mountain roads with plenty of curves. If I were choosing a bike for solo riding, I would choose the R6 over the FZ6.

This space intentionally left blank.

****, I don't pick Illinois either, but this is where family is. :thumbup:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I do not pick flat lands like Illinois to ride. I pick nice mountain roads with plenty of curves. If I were choosing a bike for solo riding, I would choose the R6 over the FZ6.

You can pick your fun rides. You can't pick your commute. A lot of FZ6 owners use the bike for commute and fun. Personally I don't have the time to ride on the weekends with all the weekend hobbies and projects I have going on at my house so I often take the "long way" home from work. Blah

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's where the crank number came from, I haven't been able to find a reliable source that backs it up. None of the official Yamaha documents show a claimed HP.

If they posted it; people would call them out on it. Again, a dyno's repeatability may be great (i.e. same dyno, same operator, same weather), but comparing one to another almost always gives different results.

There are simply too many variables (excluding the weather = temperature, humidity, water vapor content, barometric pressure, etc, etc), so I'd guess it keeps them out of reach from litigation. Its a smart choice on their part....

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
You can pick your fun rides. You can't pick your commute. A lot of FZ6 owners use the bike for commute and fun. Personally I don't have the time to ride on the weekends with all the weekend hobbies and projects I have going on at my house so I often take the "long way" home from work. Blah

I would commute on the R6 as well, if my commute was longer than two miles, each way.

Dvan5693

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup this is true, but how many supersports do you think are actually tracked regularly? On the street the acceleration at redline isn't enough to really put any real distance on the FZ6. In my experience it only makes a good size difference if it's constantly wot turn after turn on a track.

On the street maybe the R6 will pull a bike length, but that's honestly not enough because you'll likely catch the R6 in the braking zone as most people aren't as hard on the brakes on the street as they would be on the track.

Haha ummm...no. An R6 is far lighter...better accel and braking. As well as the R6's having better braking systems and suspension, which also aid in better braking. Why in the world would a heavier, less powerful motorcycle catch a lighter motorcycle that has superior suspension and brakes.....literally makes no sense lol sorry.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Haha ummm...no. An R6 is far lighter...better accel and braking. As well as the R6's having better braking systems and suspension, which also aid in better braking. Why in the world would a heavier, less powerful motorcycle catch a lighter motorcycle that has superior suspension and brakes.....literally makes no sense lol sorry.

Probably because the lighter and better setup bike is geared differently, and makes its power higher in the RPM band than the heavier bike. It's entirely plausible that an FZ6 with a good rider could beat out an R6 with a mediocre rider.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site

Like I said it depends on the situation, if your riding somewhere like the Dragon sure the R6 will run away.

However, since most streets are not race tracks the acceleration difference is very small.

Also be careful when you say " R6's having better braking systems and suspension", the FZ6 shares brakes with the 2nd gen R6 and many on these forums have R6 suspension as well.

Likely, between these two bikes it would come down to rider skill level.

Dvan5693

Reaction score
Visit site
Probably because the lighter and better setup bike is geared differently, and makes its power higher in the RPM band than the heavier bike. It's entirely plausible that an FZ6 with a good rider could beat out an R6 with a mediocre rider.

Like I said it depends on the situation, if your riding somewhere like the Dragon sure the R6 will run away.

However, since most streets are not race tracks the acceleration difference is very small.

Also be careful when you say " R6's having better braking systems and suspension", the FZ6 shares brakes with the 2nd gen R6 and many on these forums have R6 suspension as well.

Likely, between these two bikes it would come down to rider skill level.

As I said before we could play the "what if" game or "rider skill level" game till we die. Spec for spec any 600cc SS or 1000cc SS will out run an fz6 at any given point. Bike for bike.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
As I said before we could play the "what if" game or "rider skill level" game till we die. Spec for spec any 600cc SS or 1000cc SS will out run an fz6 at any given point. Bike for bike.
Literally everyone in this thread agrees with you. Bike for bike, R6 is faster. Apparently you haven't read a single one of my posts because this is now the third time I've said the exact same thing to you.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site

If you go back and read the original quote you did of me you will see that I said the R6 is faster, but that it's not that much faster to really matter on the street.

If your not riding somewhere that you can exploit it's cornering advantage over the FZ6 the power difference isn't enough to really put distance on the FZ6 on the street.

Sure it's faster, but it's not that much faster. I think the R6 runs the 1/4 in something like 10.9 at 130 mph while the FZ6 does it in 11.3 at 120 MPH.

That's really not enough of a difference to put distance on a FZ6 on the street, unless you regularly ride around at over 100 MPH.

So really the only option if you want to really out run a FZ6 on the street is if your a better rider than the FZ6's pilot, or if your on a road that you can exploit the extra lean angle of the R6.

Personally, if I wanted something "faster" than the FZ6 I would skip the 600cc class of supersports entirely and get something that has some torque.

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you ever even been on a R6? The thing doesn't even feel faster than the FZ6 until your way up there in the RPM range. It's such a tinny difference unless your on a race track. Heck, the FZ6 might even make more power than the R6 under the curve.

This reminds me of a conversation I had where someone suggested that the ECU from an equivalent R6 can be swapped into an FZ6. I had a long chat with my uncle who's been doing bike work for years (selling and teching) and the general consensus was, yes you could do it but then in order to get the performance you'd have to redline through the gears on the FZ-6 because that's where the power of the R6 is, also as the engine uses different crank/porting arrangement or whatever it was he said it would tend to wear the engine a lot quicker. Whereas when stock the FZ-6 is deliberately mapped for midrange torque which is far more useful on the streets. Yamaha tried the same midrange torque tuning trick again on the less powerful/more heavy XJ-6, which I had, except this time they made the engine buzzy and overall it's a much less interesting/fun bike.

Anyway. What I like about the FZ-6 is it's very flattering to the rider. With good rubber on the rims it'll forgive little mistakes that flightier bikes will throw you into the dirt for, while also encouraging you to push yourself just a little more each time. Sure if you're a very experienced long time biker it'd probably feel a bit slow but for us mere mortals it's all that's good about a supersports with way more practicality, and it'll fool those that don't know much about bikes into thinking it's an R6 or similar at first glance.

One of the very few things I don't like about it is pulling away in first gear from a standstill - there's a little "dip" of low power where it feels like the mapping could be better as you let the clutch out with gentle throttle. The solution is more throttle and let the clutch out later which makes more of a din and is kinda fun so it balances out, but it means you have to be careful if you have a pillion and you're trying to keep the ride smooth. Which I think should be the goal of any biker who has a passenger on the back. No sense in scaring the hell out of them.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
One of the very few things I don't like about it is pulling away in first gear from a standstill - there's a little "dip" of low power where it feels like the mapping could be better as you let the clutch out with gentle throttle. The solution is more throttle and let the clutch out later which makes more of a din and is kinda fun so it balances out, but it means you have to be careful if you have a pillion and you're trying to keep the ride smooth. Which I think should be the goal of any biker who has a passenger on the back. No sense in scaring the hell out of them.

I just increased the rear sprocket by two teeth. That seems to help the lethargic standing starts.