FZ6 Help!

Panther70

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I am currently repairing my 04 FZ6 after it was stolen and recovered. It was hot wired to run. I have replaced all the fuses checked all the wiring that I know. The instrument cluster lights up but does not display any info but the neutral and headlight indicator. There is some moisture in the cluster from where the bike was laid down in field for about a month until it was recovered. I have tried to start the bike after replacing the battery, spark plugs, and fluids. It cranks but doesn't fire up. The fuel pump doesn't hmmm so I figure it isn't kicking on. Does the instrument panel control the function of the fuel pump? I wanted to find out any more info before going and purchasing a new cluster or fuel pump. Any info to troubleshoot would be very much appreciated!

Nathanizer

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds to me like its not fuses, its the main ECU, you might have to replace the ECU. If it sat in a feild on its side for a month, water most likely got to the ECU and screwed it up. A motorcycle shop should be able to hook it up and find out what the problem is. An Autozone or Pep Boys Auto shop also have a OBD-1 & OBD-2 engine code reader that they might be able to hook up to your bike free of charge, maybe try that first. Sorry this happend to you, good luck

Ryce Krysp

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I am currently repairing my 04 FZ6 after it was stolen and recovered. It was hot wired to run. I have replaced all the fuses checked all the wiring that I know. The instrument cluster lights up but does not display any info but the neutral and headlight indicator. There is some moisture in the cluster from where the bike was laid down in field for about a month until it was recovered. I have tried to start the bike after replacing the battery, spark plugs, and fluids. It cranks but doesn't fire up. The fuel pump doesn't hmmm so I figure it isn't kicking on. Does the instrument panel control the function of the fuel pump? I wanted to find out any more info before going and purchasing a new cluster or fuel pump. Any info to troubleshoot would be very much appreciated!

well, upon turning the FZ on you would hear a disinct hum...if you don't then no power is getting to the fuel pump...I would check all the fuses before going to the fuel pump...also make sure that the connectors for the ECU is secure. :BLAA:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd disconnect the wire harness from the bottom of the tank (to the fuel pump) and check the voltage going to the pump (when turning the key on). If its got 12 volts its the pump, if theres no power or little start checking relays, fuses etc. I don't believe the cluster would have anything to do with the pump running. There is a separate line for the fuel gauge between the pump and the cluster (gas gauge)

Someone just posted a bad fuel pump relay (located under the left side pod(sealed but water got into it).

Do a search, he took it apart and it was green inside with corrosion.. New relay took care of it..

Last edited:

Panther70

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok...I researched the fuel pump relay and found where it is located..I'm going to try to look for the ECU. Would there be any reason why my instrument cluster lights up but does not display any info?

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
like nathanizer said, if the ECU is messed up because water or whatever leaked into it..
All you can do is check the wiring, not sure if there's any way to test the ECU.

Panther70

Reaction score
Visit site
I checked the voltage at the tank and there was no power. I also looked at the fuel pump relay and it clicked when I turned the bike on. Originally, when I first looked at the fuse panel it was corroded and the first 3 fuses were blown which I believe are the EFI, back up, and fan. I cleaned it up and replaced the fuses. But, after checking the relay today I pulled the panel off the frame and checked the power to the fuses. The first 3 did not show power to them. so, i examined it and noticed that the two solid red wires one thicker than the other the thicker one being hot. They were disconnected at the harness..After discovering this I am planning on replacing the fuse box if it is possible. It anyone is noticing something that I am doing wrong or I have looked over I am open to some feedback or help! Thanks!

Panther70

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok..so I replaced the wire harness due to a fouled up fuse box. I also replaced the instrument cluster and it works also. The only problem I have now is that the fuel pump is still not kicking on. I have checked the fuse pump relay and it was fine. I also checked the two connectors the white one had some current and the green one didn't have any..is that correct? I need some more info before I order a new ecu or pump. Thanks!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
There's a tip over sensor on this bike..... if it laid on it's side for some period of time, that may have gotten stuck in the 'tipped over' position. Not sure where it is, but it's another point that you can check to confirm that the ECU is getting the inputs it needs, to allow the pump to work....

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
Be advised that this is my simple thinking going on here and take this with a grain of salt as I am by no means an electrical guru. It seems to me that if you checked the voltage at the tank with the ignition on and there was no power then the pump is not necessarily bad. If you start tracing the wire back to the last place that it it "hot" some sort of switch, relay even the ECU etc., that would likely be your sticking point. Electrical gremlins are always a pain and usually turn into a can of worms. I would say hold off on buying a new fuel pump until you are sure that it does not work when the power is on. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe the fuel pump is energized when you initially turn on the key (the whirl sound). Once the fuel rail is pressurized, it'll turn off until the bike fires up, so you'll only see 12 volts when turning on the key or the bikes running...

Did any diagnostic codes show on the dash?

Last edited:

Panther70

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone heard of that turn over switch and where it would be located. I have flipped the kill switch on and off but it doesn't change anything. I used a test light on both connector wires that ran to the tank. the white had power and the green no power. I don't think any codes have presented themselves but i'm gna double check. Thanks for the help. I will let yall know what happens. I've tried to pull the pump to test it but it doesn't pull out of the tank. It snags.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone heard of that turn over switch and where it would be located. I have flipped the kill switch on and off but it doesn't change anything. I used a test light on both connector wires that ran to the tank. the white had power and the green no power. I don't think any codes have presented themselves but i'm gna double check. Thanks for the help. I will let yall know what happens. I've tried to pull the pump to test it but it doesn't pull out of the tank. It snags.

One wire will be hot, one will be ground.

As for removing the pump from the tank, it comes out in 2 pieces. The gas gauge part of it has a small retainer clip (that's kind of a PIA) to release. Once that's off, it'll come right out.

For re-assembly, it goes back in as ONE PIECE(snapped back together).

Do a search, someone posted some pic's on removing it. I was able to remove mine initially without damaging it (in one piece) when replacing the damaged gas tank(previous owner).

Re the tip over switch (Lean angle switch), per my 07 on-line manual, its located adjacent to the front of the seat and the left side of the gas tank area... Page 8-63

Also, if you can safely put 12 volts to the correct terminal and ground the ground wire to the pump(while the pump is in the tank) may save you from pulling the pump..

Last edited:

Panther70

Reaction score
Visit site
ok...I checked the lean sensor..it was fine. I tested the connector to the pump again..the white had little power and was constant and the green had power on for five seconds until the relay kicked it off..so I'm sure its getting power. I pulled the fuel pump and hooked it of directly to the battery..it made a slight vacuum noise but I had to put my ear fairly close just to hear it. I am now almost for sure that it is the fuel pump. Any other suggestions or people that agree?