Votes: 109 25.7%
  • Visor down all the way.

Votes: 315 74.3%

• Total voters

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride with the visor "cracked open" until I get to highway speeds, then it's fully closed. I always use a dark tinted visor, no glasses here, hate wearing them.

I'll be stuffed if I ever need prescription glasses, as soon as I move my head, the glasses move... that's why I got the darkest tinted visor I could get.

:)

Yatz86

Chick Magnet
Reaction score
Visit site
i wear it closed untill it gets too hot....wanna avoid stone, flying bugs going to my face...usually feel hot when riding around city area

IceCarver

Reaction score
Visit site
Visor down at all times unless I'm a stoplight. as many things that have tagged my visor including small rocks sand off the road bugs and a cigarette butt, its not worth my eyes to ride with it up, I've never seen a blind man on a bike, I'd rather not be one on a bike.

ps I do have issues with fogging in cool weather any ideas on how to get around this, it clears when up to speed but fogs at a stop

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now I have my new Caberg helmet I am open face at speeds below 30mph then I just close the whole front down.
Stumbles have a look at some of the new integrated dark visor helmets like the caberg and HJC.
Gives you the best of both worlds.
Dark visors at night can be a real pain.

Nelly

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Visor down, tinted, no sunglasses.

IMHO it is a lot safer to ride with visor down....fortuneatly i dont suffer from feeling closed in by my visor.

Hate fogging in winter, drives me nuts...visor down, foggy, visor open in anyway at all, freezing!

:thumbup:

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
Visor down at all times unless I'm a stoplight. as many things that have tagged my visor including small rocks sand off the road bugs and a cigarette butt, its not worth my eyes to ride with it up, I've never seen a blind man on a bike, I'd rather not be one on a bike.

ps I do have issues with fogging in cool weather any ideas on how to get around this, it clears when up to speed but fogs at a stop

I bought some Dr. Zooke products when I went to the Long Beach cycle show and it seems to work pretty well. Here's a link;
Zooke Anti-fog | Sunglasses, Goggles, Windshields, Camera Lens

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

What is Cat Crap? - Cat Crap

That stuff works well, and we only just got it here in Oz... Guy's in the States have had it for 15 years :eek:

Worked a treat when I got caught out in the rain a few weeks ago, visor locked down, and only a slight bit of fogging right in front of my nose... other than that, clear vision all the way home.

:)

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Visor up at the lights.

Visor down to almost closed (around a 1/4 inch/6mm gap) at city speeds to allow some extra air and traffic noise in which has saved my skin more than once.

Then close it up for the HWY or twisties.

In winter in heavy rain at night, I sometimes have to pop up my visor to behave like the brim of a ball cap which shields my amber lensed goggles underneath. Need a balaclava on for this though.

I had Cat Crap on my shoe once and my shoe didn't fog up so it must work...lol:spank::spank::Flip::D:ban:

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a flip-up helmet and keep the visor open just a crack for fresh air flow. But to ride at any kind of speed without an eye barrier is foolish. I've had stones kick up and hit me unexpectedly. It would have been disaster without protection.

As for color, I use a clear visor. I would find smoke too confining. At low speeds especially I need full vision for balance. I have a narrow band of flat black spray painted across the top of the visor to do sun screening chores. It does that very well, and also comes in handy muting glare from oncoming headlights at night with a slight drop of the head, and it doesn't materially obstruct normal vision.

Take care of your eyes.
p.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Now I have my new Caberg helmet I am open face at speeds below 30mph then I just close the whole front down.

I have the Caberg Trip with the sun visor, really good (noisy at speed though).

I would be careful running with the front up, I don't think they are approved for this, which means you can get done for no helmet.

YoungC33

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive got the Shoei RF-1000 and wear prescription galsses underneath and dont have a problem, it breathes wonderful. plus Ive got a tinted visor so im good to go. it does feel good around town with the visor up though.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been looking at the SCORPION EXO 1000. It has that sun shade flip button and the full face never-fog shield.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Around town,where most of my riding is , I have my visor up all the time with sunnies on.I only close it when raining.I like the breeze in my face .

CodeMonkey

Reaction score
Visit site
I PREFER up but I keep them down. I rarely use glasses under my visor so I keep it down for safety. Plus I don't want a ticket for riding without eye protection.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
If I was going slow enough I'd have the visor up, because my HJC had a flip down sun visor that would protect my eyes. The MSF guy called me Terminator.
Sometimes I'd lift it up at a stop light, then have to take off real quick and forget to flip it down, but the wind/acceleration would slam it down for me :D

My new helmet is a Shoei so I have to rely on sunglasses now, which kind of narrow your field of vision compared to the HJC visor.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
I also raise mine at stop lights. Sometimes when I am not in traffic, and going slow, I leave it up, but generally, Down for safety and a lot quieter.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone found a way of over coming the enclosed feeling?

How about one of these to stop you feeling enclosed? I don't know about the Shark rating etc but it's probably safer than an open-face helmet and feels more open than a full-face helmet. It's the Schuberth J1:-
leftbox-j1.jpg

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I have also just realised (dufus) that my visor has to many small scratches on it now + the fog shield has stopped working a long time ago. I need to replace it. I only realised when I wore my new AGV. It was crystal clear. So lesson learnt.

Nelly

lol, - must have been a revelation for you :)
I change my visor every year during the winter months, - it's perhaps a bit over the top, but it keeps it in mint condition.
Also I use Pinlock type Visors, - and change the Pinlock maybe once or twice a season.