Visor up or visor down

• Visor up as much as possible.

Votes: 109 25.7%
  • Visor down all the way.

Votes: 315 74.3%

• Total voters
H

HavBlue

Stones, bugs, bees, dust. My visor stays down as much as possible. You need a good helmet with good ventilation.

Steve

I have been stung twice and both times were visor down. The bee came up to the chin bar area and decided to commit suicide by letting me have it. I now wear a balaclava that seals my head in that helmet.

About a year ago I left the property visor up and when I flipped it down I was looking at a wasp on the inside of the helmet. That had to be the fastest visor up in history.

B

Bo67

I'm a visor down guy except at stoplights when it's cold out. I wear polycarbonate sunglasses during the day. I bought a pair of clear safety glasses in the hardware department at W-Mart for when I ride at night. The frames are pretty flexible and they don't cost as much as the ones I've seen at the motorcycle shops.

H

HavBlue

I'm a visor down guy except at stoplights when it's cold out. I wear polycarbonate sunglasses during the day. I bought a pair of clear safety glasses in the hardware department at W-Mart for when I ride at night. The frames are pretty flexible and they don't cost as much as the ones I've seen at the motorcycle shops.

I was at a bike night and a new rider was talking about a night ride where he ran into fog and as he began slowing down the fog was getting much worse so he pulled over and turned on the flashers. After a minute or 2 he decided to pull the helmet off only to find there was no fog at all. As the folks around him wear laughing they suggested he pull his visor up notch from time to time......

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride open faced when in cities, but as you said yourself...over 30 miles an hour is a bit painful! I'll close my visor fully when this happens but I do enjoy riding with it up when going slow...i feel very much enclosed otherwise..dont like breathing my exhaled breath when going too slow for air to circulate inside the Shoei XR-1000 that I have. Good vent system but not good enough for me to be comfortalbe when going slow.

And yes..my visor saved my eyes (and glasses) when a stone hit it at speed...so I wouldn't not ride with it open over 30.

Dont know what other option you have though!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been stung twice and both times were visor down. The bee came up to the chin bar area and decided to commit suicide by letting me have it. I now wear a balaclava that seals my head in that helmet.

About a year ago I left the property visor up and when I flipped it down I was looking at a wasp on the inside of the helmet. That had to be the fastest visor up in history.

HavBlue - If we ever ride together I'm going to wear on of those insect hats over my helmet! That sounds painful!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Stones, bugs, bees, dust. My visor stays down as much as possible. You need a good helmet with good ventilation.

Steve
The HJC I have has excellent ventilation. The AGV is really poor. The problem I have is feeling slightly enclosed with the visor down? wierd I know.

H

HavBlue

The HJC I have has excellent ventilation. The AGV is really poor. The problem I have is feeling slightly enclosed with the visor down? wierd I know.

Not weird at all Neil. Some folks just have an apprehension to having their head enclosed. My wife will wear the older style helmet with the flip up face shield but don't even try getting her to try a FF helmet.

PlasticPig

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a scorpion helmet and it has great ventilation, anti-fog visor and does not have the closed in feel of a lot of helmets, so down for me.

Also, my lad dropped his scooter last year as he got a bug in the eye when riding with his visor up.

H

HavBlue

I have a scorpion helmet and it has great ventilation, anti-fog visor and does not have the closed in feel of a lot of helmets, so down for me.

Also, my lad dropped his scooter last year as he got a bug in the eye when riding with his visor up.

Was he not wearing secondary eye protection?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
mine is usually just cracked a few mm. When on the highway, it is down all the way

+1 here!

Mine closes automatically to almost fully down once I hit 45 mph. I tend to keep mine cracked one or two notches unless I'm doing more than 45mph.

CMHrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I keep it closed while moving. I learned my lesson when a bee flew in and stung me on the side of my head. Also, I've had too many rocks hit my shield to ride with it up.

Jeremiah

Reaction score
Visit site
Visor down with safety rated glasses underneath.

x2.... kinda

I have safety rated glasses ($3 from Harbor Freight) that do just fine up to 30MPH or so. After that, I put the visor down for fear of something hard smacking me in the face. I've been in my car a few times (freeway mostly) when a rock came up and BAM - don't want that to be my face.

Fippo

Reaction score
Visit site
Down as much as possible. I know what you are saying about the enclosed feeling, but I overcame this by being obsessive about cleaning the visor. I keep glasses wipes at work, at home, in my gear! I was riding yesterday and thought it must be up as it was so clean, I even checked!

It paid dividends today as a pigeon flew into my lid. I would have had a mouth full of feathers otherwise.

tag1963

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a full face helment with smoke visor and I usually wear it down when I'm riding and when I stop I'll crack open alittle bit to get some air. It's pretty sunny here in San Diego. I know what you mean about the eye watering thing, man it sucks especially when I'm traveling down the highway.