Fuel injectors

tuul01

tuul01
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

Just had a quick question about the fuel injectors. Was talking to a guy about possibly swpaping out the standard ones on the the FZ6 for those of the equivalent model R6. The diatmeters are larger on the R6 and should therefore increase power BUT is this going to compromise the midrange and bias it more towards the top end?!

If so, I'm not so keen on the mod but if it won't make a difference then it may be the next one on the list!

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
your friend must be used to tuning turbodiesel cars...which are typically tuned quite lean from the factory to keep smoke to a minimum, and can benefit from bigger injectors.

Like townsend said, extra fuel without extra air is not going to add any power. In fact you may run into issues as the FZ6 and R6 use different injection control systems (ECUs). I think the best way to get the most out of the bike is to add a PC3 or use the CO adjustment procedure to richen it up a bit (if it is indeed running a bit lean of optimum). Or, pull them and have them "balanced" ie make sure they all flow at the same rates.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
It will rob you of power. The injector flow rates are different, so you'll be screwing up the bike's fueling over the entire map.

Rule 1. R6 parts do not add power to an FZ6.

Rule 2. But the R6 forks do help the handling.

tuul01

tuul01
Reaction score
Visit site
I've already got a PC III and sports filter (and R6 forks!) but the only reason I asked is because whilst changing the head gasket on the bike to one from an R6 (which added another 4bhp to the machine!) I was told about the fuel injectors and thought I'd ask the question. As I said I wouldn't be keen on changing them if my mid range would be affected.

Thanks again! :thumbup:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
As well as the sports filter, you could enlarge the airbox intake to help. Maybe even compare the FZ6 airbox to R6 and see what the differences are. Then it need not be running rich with the larger injectors. A PC3 sounds like it would be a good bet too - especially as you seem to want to get the most out of your bike in terms of performance. Pricey though. :(

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I've already got a PC III and sports filter (and R6 forks!) but the only reason I asked is because whilst changing the head gasket on the bike to one from an R6 (which added another 4bhp to the machine!) I was told about the fuel injectors and thought I'd ask the question. As I said I wouldn't be keen on changing them if my mid range would be affected.

Thanks again! :thumbup:

Do you have the before and after dyno plots to back that up? Obviously, a thinner gasket will increase compression... if anything that should have added to your midrange. What grade of petrol do you run, now?

tuul01

tuul01
Reaction score
Visit site
yeh had the before and after dyno runs to compare. They were a couple of months in between and the only change I had was to switch from pilot road 2cts to pilot power 2cts (which I've been told give a slightly lower bhp figure on the dyno as the softer rubber deforms more thus given less energy into the dyno) so it should give you 4 bhp minimum.

The mod is straight forward in the sense that its literally plug and play but obviously you gotta get at it first!

Am having the ignition advancer rotated forward tomorrow and putting back on the dyno to see if there is any recordable difference on the dyno, last time it was done the bike 'felt' better but the dyno showed and drop off in power but that was on a hot day compared to a cold day so getting it done on the same day to see for definite... I'll post the results when I have them.

tuul01

tuul01
Reaction score
Visit site
oh yeh... I run standard unleaded (95 octane), don't find that adding anything or using 97 octane has any real noticeable benefits

tuul01

tuul01
Reaction score
Visit site
just done the ignition advancement - released another couple of horses and gave me a little more torque as well.

bogdani0405

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

If you want an R6 you should buy an R6, although the Fizzer has good handling it's not an R6, so if you change the engine, change the chassis, change the forks, the brakes, ECU... I believe you would have ended up cheaper buying the R6 in the first place, which would normally be the choice if that's what you're aiming for... more power.

Asfalt uscat

tuul01

tuul01
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats what everyone says but I like the bike and the comfort it affords me. I think an R6 would not be as pillion friendly, it wouldn't be comfortable as a long distance tourer and with that in mind would do badly with luggage.

What I have done so far is to use what I can to sharpen up the bike for the occasional track day but also make it a bit more fun out on the road when I decide I wanna roll on the juice! ;)