Freeway torture

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
simplest solution is usually the best..in this case..keep riding, you will stop feeling it, i guarantee

Anesi

Reaction score
Visit site
Might be time to spend some money on some new gear :thumbup:

That's definitely the next item on my list. Get new gear. This was only supposed to be temporary, so planning on doing a trip to Germany and see if I can't find some nice gear :) They guy I bought it from was about a size or two larger than me, so it kinda makes sense that the jacket ballons. Not too bad though. Only above about 110 I'd say. Speed below that is just fine - but would like some gear that fits just right ofcourse :)

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
I am driving 300km+ trips with my naked fz6.

At first i thought it was a torture.

But then i spent some money on proper gear. A leather motorcycle jacket, very tight-usually a number smaller. (I have a dainese)

A nice quite helmet. (I have a Shoei XR-1000)

Leather gloves with protection, and a decent pair of boots and you are ready to go!

Next thing i'm going to do is mount my Secdem bullster mini fairing, and turn my handlebar up-side down, hopefully this will give me almost a clip-on riding position.

This will almost eliminate any wind resistance and noise!

:thumbup:

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
I have posted this before the Ermax screen made a massive difference to mine and I liked the look of it [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA6QjkyTWnQ]YouTube - FZ6 with Ermax screen and Acerbis handguards fitted[/ame]

Watch a lot of advice on here as it is USA based, as they don't have the naked as standard they forget that a naked FZ6 exists.

expatmanxman

Reaction score
Visit site
Got a Yamaha fly screen on mine, cheap on fleabay,keep your eye out for a bargain. Takes a lot of the weight off your chest so eases the strain on your arms.
Also try some Renthal Low bars, because they are a little wider you tend to lean further forward so lean into the wind a bit more.
If you are on your own get your rear footrests out and hook your legs over them, lie on the tank and it's suddenly not as windy. For ultimate streamlining get your left hand down on the fork leg like the USA shorttrackers do. It's a good way of changing your weight distribution for a bit, stops your butt going numb. I've done several 3000 mile weeks on unfiared bikes with a small fly screen, shifting weight around becomes important when you are doing over 300 miles a day for a week.

Redback

Reaction score
Visit site
those little screens make a big difference i had a little one on my naked GSR
just keep pushing away at it mate and try to relax don't be stiff becomes the norm after a while then the fun stuff begins like side winds pushing you into the next lane:D

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Quick solution is just to get your girlfriend to ride the bike while you sit passenger.

:)

Short of that, just keep your speeds down and enjoy the scenery.

(it's not so bad....I rode about 3500km without any wind protection on a trip once....once you settle into a nice pace it's not so bad. ~120-130kph or so was my comfort zone. I only really noticed it when the temperatures dropped a bit).

Last edited:

Twitch

Elite Pimp
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hey Anesi, my friends name is Casper Fussing. He is from copenhagen denmark as well. Have you ever heard of him? He was a foreign exchange student here in the US in PA, and is visiting again right now

ericausand

Reaction score
Visit site
The number one reason I sold my cruiser and bought an FZ6 was to gain some wind protection. (I don't like the way cruisers look with windshields.)

1) keep with it, call it practice
2) find 3 comfy ways to sit and rotate
3) one hand on the bars one arm leaning on the tank
3) get a windscreen
4) adjustable rear pegs, you can swing them around for comfy forward leaning.
5) adjust your pegs, and pedals so you can relax. if you have a tight squeeze between the peg and clutch you may feel anxious to shift, I know I do.
6) throttlemeister!!!!!!!!! freeing up your right hand allows for twice the flexibility when adjusting your seating! 150 bucks well spent and they look nice.
7) after market seat, I have the TS seat and it rocks. Six hours is no biggie.

Thats all I've got.

Have fun!

Anesi

Reaction score
Visit site
Next thing i'm going to do is mount my Secdem bullster mini fairing, and turn my handlebar up-side down, hopefully this will give me almost a clip-on riding position.

This will almost eliminate any wind resistance and noise!

:thumbup:

I was thinking about getting a screen like that, but to be honest I'm not too keen on the looks. But suppose for longer rides (like vacations) I could live with it, since it would be a great help on the motorway.

I'm very seriously contemplating sticking on som clip-ons to get that lower, sportier feel - and they just look plain awesome :D However it looks like the stock headlight will be an issue, so don't know yet.

@ericausand: A better seat, maybe TS is also on the wishlist. Won't help with the wind ofcourse, but will hopefully allow my butt to last longer :) Never considered the footpeg thing. I'll look in to it. Thanks :thumbup:

@Twitch: Sorry, I don't think I know your buddy. We have like a million Caspers here :D

As for the gear, yeah, will definitelty get some nice and tight fitting leathers by next season :rockon: And besides from that, and maybe some clip-ons, maybe new handlebars, I guess I'll just have to toughen up :rolleyes: Thanks for the replies guys :thumbup: Much appreciated.

/anesi

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I dunno if people have mentioned it but the faster you ride the more used to it you become.
Making sure your visor is down helps, as does the Yamaha screen which is expensive, but cuts off most of the wind at your chest.
Posture and remembering not to grip too tight are also important. Depending on your size there should be room to duck in quite a bit.

I have found taking regular stops and stretching my legs does far more than a better seat, one of the gel velcro ones, or anything else. They can help, but stopping for a break every 90-120 mins is by far the best.

Anesi

Reaction score
Visit site
I dunno if people have mentioned it but the faster you ride the more used to it you become.
Making sure your visor is down helps, as does the Yamaha screen which is expensive, but cuts off most of the wind at your chest.
Posture and remembering not to grip too tight are also important. Depending on your size there should be room to duck in quite a bit.

I have found taking regular stops and stretching my legs does far more than a better seat, one of the gel velcro ones, or anything else. They can help, but stopping for a break every 90-120 mins is by far the best.

Very good advice, thanks :thumbup: It's mainly on the motorway it's an issue though - on 130 km/h or above. Anything faster than that may toughen me up but will also have a price (in the form of tickets or worse :eek:).

There seems to be a consensus that getting used to it is the one biggest thing. Lots of great advice in this tread :) Can't wait for the winter to clear (still 2-2,5 more months :().