Fork Oil Brand???

ddg

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondering what brand everybody has used for fork oil? I apologize in advance if this turns into as heated a debate as motor oil. Prior to the next riding season I plan on putting in race tech springs and have settled on 15w oil. Race Tech fork oil is pretty pricey and even more of a factor it is harder to find.
Thanks

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use whatever is cheapest. Cycle Gear sells maxima brand, which I take to be their "house" label. That's what I bought. They had bel-ray and some others, but in the end, to me, it's suspension oil. I'm going to run it for a year or so and then swap it out. If it's the correct viscosity, then that's what I need.

I don't believe that *I* would ever be able to tell the difference between the "quality" of one brand over the other. I seriously doubt that there's a maxima refinery. It's more than likely made by one of the big brands and just labeled differently.

Let the flaming begin! ;):Flip::eek::Flash::D:thumbup::rockon:

racerws

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In my refurbishing efforts for Classic motorcycles, some repair manuals
recommend using ATF 10w in the forks. I did on a couple, seemed too
mushy for me. Changed to 10w BelRay and it seems to work better.
Got my fork oil at Cycle Gear also.

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
I used Fuchs 5wt fork oil in my r6 forks when I changed the springs out. I hear alot of people like Belray, but it's pretty expensive and hard to find around here. I don't know what exactly makes "good" fork oil so I can't tell you if Fuchs is good or bad.. all I can say is it works.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use whatever is cheapest. Cycle Gear sells maxima brand, which I take to be their \"house\" label. That's what I bought. They had bel-ray and some others, but in the end, to me, it's suspension oil. I'm going to run it for a year or so and then swap it out. If it's the correct viscosity, then that's what I need.

I don't believe that *I* would ever be able to tell the difference between the \"quality\" of one brand over the other. I seriously doubt that there's a maxima refinery. It's more than likely made by one of the big brands and just labeled differently.

Let the flaming begin! ;):Flip::eek::Flash::D:thumbup::rockon:

Me too. I used what the guys at Cycle Gear handed me. :confused:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used Fuchs 5wt fork oil in my r6 forks when I changed the springs out. I hear alot of people like Belray, but it's pretty expensive and hard to find around here. I don't know what exactly makes \"good\" fork oil so I can't tell you if Fuchs is good or bad.. all I can say is it works.

Yeah Ed I know, :rtfm:, but I don't have on for an R6. I've not done anything to my R6 forks. Is 5 wt the correct weight? Also, have you pulled any maintenance on it? I've never worked on a cartridge fork before. It is difficult to do? Special tools?

Sorry to t/j...

W

wrightme43

I used belray 15w.

It hasnt blown up yet.

I am still waiting.