Plan of Action

RainCityRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone. I've been lurking for awhile and wanted to get feedback on my plans for my bike. I bought a 2007 a few months ago and have already put 4000 miles on the clock. Here's an old ad with some pictures:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/sell-your-bike-car-truck/56111-2007-fz6-sport-touring-3900-givi-bags-heated-grips-lots-mods-west-coast.html

So far I've replaced the brakes, fork seals & oil, and the steering head bearings. My goal is to have a good commuter for college and work with capability for fun on the weekends. I want a well maintained machine that handles predictably with smooth throttle response. Doing the fork seals and overfilling with new oil helped some but I find the suspension to be lacking. I ride occasionally two-up with my girlfriend occasionally as well.

I've planned to bring the bike up to speed in three phases:

Stage 1 - Baseline (bring the bike up to standards)
Chain & sprockets: I have a grinding noise on takeoff and at low speed. I adjusted the chain numerous times and have bathed it in lube to no avail. It has a bind that I can't seem to adjust out. Wheel has been string aligned.
Air filter: the air filter needs to be changed, is a K&N worth it?
Valves - the P.O. adjusted them about 5k ago. I want to verify they are in spec due to light ticking.
TB sync
Spark plug: check for vibes
Dual headlight mod

Stage 2 - Ride-ability (stabile and predictable handling)
R6 forks: either machine the spacers myself or buy from Dako
Rear shock: R1 or other options?

Stage 3 - Performance (improve response)
S1 Header
De-cat the midpipe
Airbox mod?
PC fuel controller
Dyno tune (Nels at 2wheeldynoworks)

Questions
Is it necessary/worth it to upgrade the springs in the R6 forks?
Despite having a Puig screen (the race version I believe) wind buffeting on the highway is extreme to an uncomfortable level. Any other options?
Should I go down a tooth on the front sprocket despite doing lots of highway riding?

Dreams
Powdercoat wheels next tire change.
Repair small crack on underside of fairing.
Electric exhaust cutouts with tune for open/closed, switched with same button on bars.

Last edited:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry I can't help with the technical stuff, but can:

Welcome you to the forum!

p.s. Love Seattle....especially in the summer!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
List looks solid. Do the required maintenance items and start looking for forks.

Springs - most of the bolt on forks are old and its a roll of the dice spring wise. Put them on and measure the bike and rider sag. Youll want fresh oil in them before install too. Anyway, the sag numbers for you w gear, now you decide if you need springs.

Start there and pick away at the list.
Good luck neighbor!

PS a search for JJD952 suspension
Should find helpful info...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re the chain, make sure its clean and well lubed.

Most importantly, make sure it has approx 2" total up and down play at its tightest point.

If it noisy, grinding, you may pull off the front sprocket cover and watch to see if the chain
is kinking/not straightening out coming off the front sprocket..

Also, pay attention to the brake pad drag on the ft wheel once the pads are installed.
Yamaha recommends brake seal replacement every two years.. In real life, 4-5 years
before replacement..

Last edited:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm on 9 years with the brake seals and will be replacing them in the next few weeks. Brakes still work fine, but I definitely have been lazy on the seals. Hopefully they will be smoother, but honestly with SS lines I don't think ill see much improvement. More piece of mind!!

As for alot of highway driving with a Puig. I have the stock windscreen for the 05 and as yes its annoying at speeds over 100mph, anything under than that I find reasonable. I have heard the 07+ screen is much better and have heard mixed reviews on the Puig over the years. I found cheaper helmets give me a headache after a while on highway speeds (press's into the forehead mostly), but when I went up a level in helmet price, (scorpion evo-500 to a scorpion evo-700) the headaches were way less. Good Gear pays you back!!

oh, and that light ticking from the valves.. most likely normal.. mine has ticked since the day I got it as do most Yamaha's!

Last edited:

RainCityRider

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I'll put the stock screen on and see if that makes any improvements. I have a decent helmet but still lots of buffeting on my head and shoulders.

What's the part number for the caliper seals?

As far as the chain goes it is definitely binding. I haven't pulled the front sprocket cover but I think it best to replace it. Any opinions on going down a tooth up front?

I'm sure the valves aren't far out of spec. I would feel better knowing they're properly adjusted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RainCityRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Update!

Swapped out the chain, sprockets, front pads, and changed the oil. Oh my! It's a completely different machine. The clutch feels smoother, the engine quieter, the exhaust even sounds better! I went with Motul oil, stock sprockets numbers from sprocket center. Really really happy with this tuneup.

Side note, my rear brakes aren't working. Pedal is squishy and applies no braking force, yet reservoir is full and the caliper appears properly mounted and torqued. It did seem to be more difficult to reinstall the caliper than last time I took it off to change the pads... Will investigate soon.

As far as what's left to do in phase I, I don't believe I need to check the valve clearances any more. The fresh oil seems to have eliminated the ticking I noticed before. Next up is to sort the rear brake, sync the throttle bodies, and replace the air filter. Any comments on the airbox mod? I know I read somewhere that there is some reasoning in creating a pressure reservoir for the engine to draw from.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It obviously should have gone back on the same. You may want to recheck the TWO anti-rattle springs, that their properly installed. Also, make sure those rubber accordion boots are greased up well with BRAKE SPECIFIC grease.

Could be air but if you didn't mess with the bleeder, springs / assembly are more likely the issue

Re the air box mod, pretty much just makes it noisier.

IMO, I wouldn't but you can always duct tape up the holes if you don't like it..

Last edited: