FJR 1300 yamaha test ride

FZ6771

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking about trading my 2010 Buell XB12xt for a 08 FJR 1300 super clean with only 6500 miles . After the test ride I was not impressed at all I will keep the Buell.....

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
It's about 600 lbs. handles like **** and very slow my FZ6 will smoke it ! I like the Buell more .

Only if the FJR was running on 3 cylindars... I have owned both at the same time and I can confirm the 145 HP stock FJR is faster than a stock FZ6.... :thumbup: It may weigh 600lbs, but it is a 600lbs rocket sled....

Last edited:

FZ6771

Reaction score
Visit site
Only if the FJR was running on 3 cylindars... I have owned both at the same time and I can confirm the 145 HP stock FJR is faster than a stock FZ6.... :thumbup: It may weigh 600lbs, but it is a 600lbs rocket sled....

It was running on all 4 and any one of my 2 FZ6's feels way faster from 0-100 MPH but my FZ6's are not stock...The FJR 1300 will probably go faster on top speed but not by much .

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I'd guess the FJR has less 'cam', and a much broader power spread. I've ridden an ST1100 and thought that a very boring bike. Electric motor characteristics don't do much for me on a motorcycle.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My 04 FJR is geared slightly lower than the gen II's (06 and up) and it will, as noted above, will beat the FZ. The FZ is more flickable... I don't believe the 5th gear higher change is that big but my friend said his 07 FJR wouldn't power wheelie... I can power wheelie in first and second using the throttle only, and that's at 4,000 RPM (approx 100 HP). It red lines by 9,000 RPM so you don't need to scream it to get into any power...

With 145 HP by 8k, yes its heavier (I ride it mostly without the bags on as they are noticably heavier) and with considerably more torque, it'll get to 125MPH much faster than the FZ.

With the stock mufflers/windshield on the FJR, you can't tell how fast your going until you look down at the speedometer. BTW, my speedometer is within, stock, 1 MPH of the GPS speed. Triple digits are MUCH FASTER to get to on the FJR...

Last edited:

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
Just what you get used to. The fjr has heaps more poke. Feels like your throwing an oil tanker around compared to the fz6. I know of a few people one being my boss that will show most people up in the twisty stuff on the fjr even when others are on gsxr, zx, r1 etc. For the what they are (a large sports tourer) they are great! But you can't expect to try and throw it around like a ninja 250.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
It was running on all 4 and any one of my 2 FZ6's feels way faster from 0-100 MPH but my FZ6's are not stock...The FJR 1300 will probably go faster on top speed but not by much .

Even side by side (friend riding my FZ6) at 100kph... roll on... The FJR just walked away from the FZ6. Fz6 never gained any ground (in fact was slowly vanishing in my rear views) until we had to shut the party down due to some ridiculous speeds.....

Saying that, the FZ6 is still a seriously fast bike considering it's displacement (or lack there of) and price point.... Not knocking the FZ6, in fact I prefer it over the FJR that's why I sold the FJR....

FZ6771

Reaction score
Visit site
Even side by side (friend riding my FZ6) at 100kph... roll on... The FJR just walked away from the FZ6. Fz6 never gained any ground (in fact was slowly vanishing in my rear views) until we had to shut the party down due to some ridiculous speeds.....

Saying that, the FZ6 is still a seriously fast bike considering it's displacement (or lack there of) and price point.... Not knocking the FZ6, in fact I prefer it over the FJR that's why I sold the FJR....
Speed wasn't the only reason I disliked the FJR it's a nice bike . I was just expecting more out of a I-4 145 h.p. motor. It's the weight over 600 pounds and the way it handles and seating position. My Buell handles way better 125 pounds lighter and more luggage room plus more fun to ride. the best thing about the FJR is its a Yamaha and the worst thing about the Buell is if you have problem you or need certain parts you have to deal with a Harley Davidson dealer.

FZ6771

Reaction score
Visit site
the FJR is perfect for it's intended use. Sport touring, 2up riding, highway cruising. sounds like you should have test rode an r1 instead :BLAA:

You're right the FJR it is a good sport touring bike. I just thought after the test ride that my Buell was a better sport touring ,2up riding,highway cruising bike so I'm not going to trade it for the FJR or a R1....

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Like you said, it's what you are used to riding. Other than in the twisties the FJR will smoke the FZ6. And with some suspension upgrades the FJR isn't to shabby, (ask Motogiro about my FJR). Try holding the FZ6 at 125 mph for 20 miles (love those desert highways in Nevada)and then you'll love the Feejeer .

What you need to do is ride a FZ1 that has been allowed to breathe. Sometimes I think mine sucks my eyeballs back into my head when I really jump on it.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll echo what others have said. I owned an '03 FJR when they first came out and once rolling at more than walking pace it felt light to me, very easy to maneuver and ride, and when on the road downshifting to pass was never a necessity. It rocked from that standpoint. My problem with it was I wasn't using it for any sort of sport touring (over night trips) and it was a bit heavy for a Saturday morning sprint. Plus that first generation FJR's gearing wasn't sorted out yet, I always felt I needed a 6th gear, and vibration was a bit of a problem. And the heat issue .....

FZ6 was much more nimble and closer to my style of bike, but I missed the roll on torque and horsepower of a liter bike which is why I stepped up to an FZ1 last week. Best of both worlds in my opinion: able to use as a sportsbike and to do some touring if desired. The FZ series of bikes suits a different purpose than an FJR.

FZ6771

Reaction score
Visit site
What I meant to say when I said the FJR was very slow was, for a 1300cc motor that makes around 65 H.P. more than my FZ6 it's not as fast as I expected. Any new 600 sport bike will run a 1/4 mile drag race in the 10's and do over 160 MPH .

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What I meant to say when I said the FJR was very slow was, for a 1300cc motor that makes around 65 H.P. more than my FZ6 it's not as fast as I expected. Any new 600 sport bike will run a 1/4 mile drag race in the 10's and do over 160 MPH .

The FJR will run a 10 second quarter and do it with baggage under 9,000 RPM, not 15,000 RPM's. Its a Sport/tourer.

I'd like to to see any 600 sport bike run 85MPH, loaded with luggage, 2 up for 500 miles (6-8 hours) a day AND allow the rider to be comfortable....
That 600 would be revving at 8-11,000 RPM. I wouldn't run my FZ6 half that hard for half that long, the FJR, in a NY minute.... :)

Now I'd take the FZ6 on the Dragon in a minute (haven't yet) but love that bike as well for what its designed to do...

Last edited:

ssmotorcycle

The Emmy Winning Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I would agree with CanadianFZ6 and others on this one. I have done "The Ton" plus on both of these bikes and the FZ couldn't hold a candle in the power and top end of the FJR. It really depends on what kind of riding you like to do...I am one of those that does a ton of different types of riding. I live in an urban area, but do 400 - 6oo miles (sometimes more) on the weekends. The FZ is awesome around town, but the FJR is the bike for the long haul. But if the question is strictly about having lots of throttle...there is no comparison.