FJ-09; A most certain replacement for my FZ6

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
... FASTER RED PAINT JOB!!! I LOVE IT!!!

hold up a second. red is the sexy color. blue = FAST(EST) color

black = boring
silver = old

and yeah it still looks a bit budget, but at least it has a centerstand.

id really like a 750 version of the fz6. about 115-120hp, and the same ergos, size, wheelbase, and weight. the 750 has always been and will continue to be the perfect sized bike. Suzuki has a monopoly on this and hasnt even realized it yet. a slightly detuned "GSX750F" would be the shiznit

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Excuse me? Black will always be, the new black. Young ladies all have a little black dress and matching hooker shoes for a reason you know.......

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When it comes time to replace my fz6 (hopefully) a few years down the road. The FJ-09 will most certainly be a great candidate!!

Yamaha FJ-09 leaked - Motorcycle news: New bikes - Visordown

ok all that i posted up there? i may have to take it back :spank:
check out these pics

Nieuw: 2015 allroadversie Yamaha MT-09 / FJ-09 - Nieuwsmotor

i must say i do like it. around twice as much as the FZ09. speaking for its looks

Yamaha has my attention

I keep looking around for a posible replacement for my FZ6 in a couple of years and up until now I can't really see anything that is as versatile and with the same looks and ergo's as the FZ6. I feel I'm ready for a bigger engine, but bearing in mind it's mainly a commuter for me I don't want to loose the MPG and the fun factor when you want to wind it up.

looking at this bike it doesn't really tick all my boxes, although it comes close. I'll have to see the bike up close (probably at the motorbeurs in Utrecht in February), as I really didn't like the FZ09 for looks or comfort.
This bike looks a bit more like a triumph tiger (all road) than a sport tourer, since the local yamaha dealer went bust and there is a triumph dealer nearer by I would definately compare these bikes.

I'm really hoping that the tank is bigger (than the FZ09) as well, otherwise I will have to fill up more than once a week. I'm really curious about the specs.

An important plus factor of the FZ6 is that the service interval is 10,000 km's (which I cover in less than a year) now several other bikes out there have intervals of 6000km's or less :eek: so I'm curious about this with the new FJ-09 as well

Another important point will be the insurance costs, as I would want a full coverage with a new bike.

Oh well this is all speculation for now but it's fun to ponder :thumbup:

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Close loop! Please correct me if Im wrong... FZ6 doesn't have a O2 sensor, FZ6R doesn't. The O2 sensor keep the AFR at 14.7 pretty solid in close loop with fuel cut off over lets say 4K RPM. I get the same or even slightly better MPG on the FZ09 then the 6R when it was all modded with PCV and the whole shebang.

If I keep it steady at 70 MPH I get 47 MPG on the 09, 45 MPG if I cruise 80-90 all day long (Huge tail bad and small saddle bags) That's with 250 more cc and almost 30HP and 25 ft.lb more torque!

Technology my friend...

That helps but my air cooled monster for real close to 50mpg without an O2 sensor. Then I went 3 up on the rear sprocket... :D

This space intentionally left blank.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
That helps but my air cooled monster for real close to 50mpg without an O2 sensor. Then I went 3 up on the rear sprocket... :D

It is still pretty sad the fuel economy of the high output small displacement engines.

This bike weighs 750 lbs and has a 1800cc engine and gets 62mpg at 65 mph.

CCTour_HP_image.JPG

I love my FZ6 but having ridden the new touring baggers from Victory and witnessed the insane fuel economy and comfort It's no wonder guys who put down 35,000 miles/ year on their bikes prefer big bikes. I've ridden one 1,000 miles in 3 days and had no real pain. I rode my FZ6 500 miles in 2 days and my knees and lower back were stiff for a week.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Makes you wonder how that guy who rode cross-country on his Paginale managed it.

Or the guy who went around the world on an R1.

I use to have pain in my right shoulder, whether I was on the fz6 or the monster. I knew it was not the bikes. After losing weight and getting in shape, that pain is nonexistent.

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Makes you wonder how that guy who rode cross-country on his Paginale managed it.

Simple: Youth and good health! I'm an arthritic 35 year old. Can't do that crap anymore. I'll be lucky to be able to ride when I'm 60 at this rate.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
I am 52. My body is not a good example of how to take care of your body. Multiple broken bones, yes it was a motorcycle wreck, in my youth. :D

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
It is still pretty sad the fuel economy of the high output small displacement engines.

Not sad really, just a trade off. I would rather have the lesser economy and the higher output. I can live with 40mpg.

I suppose if the high output small disp. bikes had the taller gearing of the baggers, they would get close to the same mileage. But that would not be any fun. [emoji41]

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site

I love my FZ6 but having ridden the new touring baggers from Victory and witnessed the insane fuel economy and comfort It's no wonder guys who put down 35,000 miles/ year on their bikes prefer big bikes.

Most of those guys are old (or at least act like it) and will not ride a bike unless it has ABS, TC, and heated seats. Oh and a GPS. I would not look to them for advice on what to ride.

I am a member of a forum of said individuals as I use to ride sport touring bikes. However, I grew tired of the excess weight, poor performance, and the needless shaft drive technology.

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sad really, just a trade off. I would rather have the lesser economy and the higher output. I can live with 40mpg.

I suppose if the high output small disp. bikes had the taller gearing of the baggers, they would get close to the same mileage. But that would not be any fun. [emoji41]

My Uncle has a 2012 Victory XC with cams, intake, exhast and PC-V and tuned it's makign 113 hp and 117 ft lbs of torque. No, it's no sport bike but low output is not what it makes! It will run away from a C6 Corvette up to 130 mph. He still gets 55-60 mpg on highway. Don't get me wrong I love my sport bikes but I appreciate good engineering and design. I have a sport bike and a nice touring cruiser because you really can't get that kind of versatility in one bike.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
My Uncle has a 2012 Victory XC with cams, intake, exhast and PC-V and tuned it's makign 113 hp and 117 ft lbs of torque. No, it's no sport bike but low output is not what it makes! It will run away from a C6 Corvette up to 130 mph. He still gets 55-60 mpg on highway. Don't get me wrong I love my sport bikes but I appreciate good engineering and design. I have a sport bike and a nice touring cruiser because you really can't get that kind of versatility in one bike.

I don't consider 113hp from a 1700cc engine good engineering. Now a Panagale that produces 195hp and 98 ft lbs from a 1200cc engine, that is good engineering.

As for versatility, the only thing the Panagale gives up is MPG. I do not ride bikes for economy purposes.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't consider 113hp from a 1700cc engine good engineering. Now a Panagale that produces 195hp and 98 ft lbs from a 1200cc engine, that is good engineering.

As for versatility, the only thing the Panagale gives up is MPG. I do not ride bikes for economy purposes.

It is when it's making 113 hp at only 5,000 rpms. Modern V-twins are just as much a marvel of engineering as high output I-4 and I-3 engines with 16K rpms redlines.

No, not everyone rides for comfort and fuel efficiency but the older you get the more you will! I never thought I'd buy a cruiser but now I can't imagine having to ride my FZ6 across the country when I have a bike made for it.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
It is when it's making 113 hp at only 5,000 rpms. Modern V-twins are just as much a marvel of engineering as high output I-4 and I-3 engines with 16K rpms redlines.

No, not everyone rides for comfort and fuel efficiency but the older you get the more you will! I never thought I'd buy a cruiser but now I can't imagine having to ride my FZ6 across the country when I have a bike made for it.

Let's just say, I find that small amount of HP to be lacking for so much displacement. I also do not like engines with a flat torque curve, they are so boring. This includes most V8s in cars.

As for older, I already am. At 52 I can not envision a world in which I will ever own a touring bike. With such examples of senior riders who still swing a leg over sport bikes, I don't have to.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site

To be fair, the Panigale that Dry Martini mentioned hits maximum power at ~11k rpm. It's not nearly as high revving as most bikes.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Let's just say, I find that small amount of HP to be lacking for so much displacement. I also do not like engines with a flat torque curve, they are so boring. This includes most V8s in cars.

As for older, I already am. At 52 I can not envision a world in which I will ever own a touring bike. With such examples of senior riders who still swing a leg over sport bikes, I don't have to.

Full torque at 2,500 rpms may be boring but it sure is usable for street riding. I love the thrill of a high revving I-4 for spirited riding but it's nice to be able to twist the throttle on the V-twin at any RPM and instantly plant to the back of the seat with the instant torque. On the FZ6 I have to drop 2 gears to get above 8K rpms for the same effect. Now I do love handling so I couldn't live with only a cruiser. I love to carve the mountains and the FZ6 does OK at it...enough to put a grin on my face. :thumbup:

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
You got any proof of this shakedown? Or is this just FUD?

While yamaha's middle weight bikes may be down on power, I have not heard of any decrease in their sport bikes. Ducati has not decreased their power output. Or any other manufacturer.

Define proof. Corporate memos? No, just logic. The Big 4 and BMW, MV, and Duc had a meeting at one of the bike shows about 3 or 4 years ago. This was in response to the EU Bureaucrats talking (circulating memos) about restricting HP. Remember when a bunch of 74 (76?) HP Fz-6's were sold in France, I think. One of the major EU nations passed a law limiting motorcycles to 75 HP.
https://rideapart.com/articles/the-facts-behind-europes-pending-100-hp-motorcycle-limit
European Commission Could Be Considering 100HP Limit for Motorcycles

That was in 2010. The Bureaucrats wanted to cut HP in an attempt to reduce the carnage among young males on motorcycles. For males between 18 and 25, motorcycles are the #1 killer.
So the various manufactures agreed to restrict the HP wars before the government forced them to. BMW broke that gentleman's agreement with the 1000r (or S, I really don't pay much attention to euro trash).
BMW had the bike in development the whole time they were talking about voluntary limits. So the HP wars are back. That means the Bureaucrats will dust off their proposed regulations.
No FUD, I'm not selling anything. Just a prediction. The Bureaucrats had their ducks lined up when the Horsepower meeting cut them off at the pass. It won't take them long to re-do the paperwork and get it voted on.
Even before that some 20 year old with a pocketfull of daddy's money will buy a 300HP Kawasaki and turn himself into splintered bone and sausage.
That will light a fire under some politicians arse and then it's off to the barn.:confused:
Look how many 'learner bikes' there are today compared to just 10 years ago. Go back 20 years and a lot of 'regular (everyday?) motorcycles had about the same power as today's 'learner' bikes. The motorcycle industry has come to the conclusion that killing off your customers is bad business practice.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My SV is a lot of fun with a wide power band. It handles very well! I never try to wheelie but the times I've slipped the clutch ever so slightly by accident the front is up and away. It doesn't intimidate me, it makes me laugh!

If I ever did get a cruiser I'd probably go with the new Indian Scout. They're probably the only company that's bringing cruiser motors to today's technology. They shortened the stroke and doubled up the valves to stretch the power band and added water cooling for cooling the added performance.

There have been many great V-twins like the (Widow Maker) TL1000 and the RC51 from Honda. There are a few non Italian V-Twins that are great, fun bikes. :)