First tire change help

m.donovan

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone, I finally bought some new tires for my bike and took off the wheels and had them changed at a local shop. I got home last night to put the wheels back on, thinking I'd at least have time to go for a test drive afterwards! Well, I spent about three hours messing around with just the back wheel and got nowhere. I feel like I'm missing a washer. But I put everything I took off back on the axle when it was out, I had (from the side with the fixed nut) washer, right bushing, left bushing, then the nut. The nut on the side with the sprocket barely goes over the indented part with the notches for aligning the tire, so I moved the washer to that side, but then the other side really seemed like it was supposed to have a washer. So are there supposed to be two washers, one for each side? I have this set up---bushing in the tire, on both sides, then washer on the outside of the swing arm on the right side, axle goes through washer, then caliper, then wheel, then through the other side of the swing arm, then the other nut. Also, do I tighten the axle first, then the tensioner nuts? I'm having a difficult time aligning it as well...the hash marks really aren't helping because one side has a big ass washer covering way more marks than the other side with just a nut. I dunno, I'm just getting frustrated, this is something I should be able to do and I just keep going in circles! any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone, I finally bought some new tires for my bike and took off the wheels and had them changed at a local shop. I got home last night to put the wheels back on, thinking I'd at least have time to go for a test drive afterwards! Well, I spent about three hours messing around with just the back wheel and got nowhere. I feel like I'm missing a washer. But I put everything I took off back on the axle when it was out, I had (from the side with the fixed nut) washer, right bushing, left bushing, then the nut. The nut on the side with the sprocket barely goes over the indented part with the notches for aligning the tire, so I moved the washer to that side, but then the other side really seemed like it was supposed to have a washer. So are there supposed to be two washers, one for each side? I have this set up---bushing in the tire, on both sides, then washer on the outside of the swing arm on the right side, axle goes through washer, then caliper, then wheel, then through the other side of the swing arm, then the other nut. Also, do I tighten the axle first, then the tensioner nuts? I'm having a difficult time aligning it as well...the hash marks really aren't helping because one side has a big ass washer covering way more marks than the other side with just a nut. I dunno, I'm just getting frustrated, this is something I should be able to do and I just keep going in circles! any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

The shop manaual (page 4-9) shows a washer on each side (besides both collors) so I think that's where your problem is. Sounds like you have the assembly correct, just missing one washer. A washer should be under the axle head and again under the axle nut once fully assembled.

It likely fell out and is on the floor somewhere. That would explain why the nut isn't fully seating...

As for tightening, very slightly snug down the axle, and set the adjusters (make sure your adjusting the chain at the TAUGHTEST PART OF THE CHAIN). Once set and your comfy their even, tighten down and torque the axle to spec. Make surr the adjusters are good and snug.

Is it possible someone swapped out the stock washers for something larger?

I think once you have the correct washers on (I believe their the same size), you can use the outer edge of the washers with the marks on the swing arm.

BTW, there are numerous posts about lining the rear wheel up using a string method or inbetween the center of the swingarm and the center of the axle.

Last edited:

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Both sides of the axle have a washer. Here's a pic of how everything fits together...

On the left side of the bike, right side of the picture
#21 is the axle nut
#22 is a washer
#23 is part of the adjuster
#19 is the collar that fits in the bearing
#14 and #13 are the bearing and seal, which should not have come out of the wheel
#6, #4, and #7 also should have stayed in the wheel
#8, #12, #16, #18, and #17 are part of the sprocket damper.

Right side of the bike, left side of the picture
#2, #5, and #3 are bearing, seal, and clip - they should have stayed in the wheel
#19 is the coller for the right side
#23 is part of the adjuster
#28 is a washer
#27 is the axle

Hope this helps...

m.donovan

Reaction score
Visit site
Ah yea OK it seems like I'm missing a second washer. Hopefully it fell off while I was taking the wheel off, I'll have to check around when i get home from work. I wish i was more certain but i feel like one side never had a washer on it...bought it used obviously. Hopefully ill find it, if not, does anyone know where i can get one? Thanks for the help!

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Ah yea OK it seems like I'm missing a second washer. Hopefully it fell off while I was taking the wheel off, I'll have to check around when i get home from work. I wish i was more certain but i feel like one side never had a washer on it...bought it used obviously. Hopefully ill find it, if not, does anyone know where i can get one? Thanks for the help!

It's possible it was "stuck" to the wheel when you took it to the shop, and didn't even realize it. Check the vehicle you used to take the wheel in, and also give the shop a call and see if they found a random washer laying around.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
A washer should not have been on the wheel, but on the axle itself. If it was lost, it should be where you removed the wheel from the bike. You would have had to take one off when you pulled the axle through the wheel (on the nut side, fits between the nut and swing arm), but the other one may have stayed on the axle (right side). Now if it's a spacer/collar (# 19 in the pic above), that could have gone with the wheel.

m.donovan

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah, it's the washer that's missing, not the spacer. I checked around everywhere and no-gots. Like I said, I really am 98% sure I remember thinking, while washing it or just admiring, that it seems like there should be a washer. This was before i even bought the new tires, I mean, it's my first bike, who am I to question things? haha. I was just going to put it back together how it was but I work i a machine shop so I'm just gonna have someone make one up for me! I can see missing a washer in some places but on the wheel? If that sucker came off while I was driving down the highway :eek: bad news! It may not come off but if the nut slipped into the chain tensioner groove thing (know what I mean? lol) and the tire shifted that much....:eek: again. They shouldn't have even sold it to me with the tires that were on it, now i know to also be mindful of all components tire lol It's been a long day and I've had a few beers, I hope this all makes sense!:thumbup:

kennedyted

Reaction score
Visit site
i just went out to check my 07 fz6. my setup is axle nut/washer/spacer and other side is spacer/axle bolt head. oblong circular shape but with 2 flat side, a 2nd washer would not even fit on my bike and the axle head goes into grooves on the spacer/tensioner, and theres no room for a circular washer as the spacers are square, id look into, i dont think mine has 2 stock, it didnt have the 2nd one when i took tire off last month to have it changed........ on a side not, i noticed when i had my tire/rim off that the 2 washer/bearing caps....one on each side of tire that the axle bolt slides through, i nnoticed these are held on by nothing when the tires off, one fell off in my back seat and tire was off until i replaced it, the cover the bearings on rim so u dont get gunk in there, worth looking at

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i just went out to check my 07 fz6. my setup is axle nut/washer/spacer and other side is spacer/axle bolt head. oblong circular shape but with 2 flat side, a 2nd washer would not even fit on my bike and the axle head goes into grooves on the spacer/tensioner, and theres no room for a circular washer as the spacers are square, id look into, i dont think mine has 2 stock, it didnt have the 2nd one when i took tire off last month to have it changed........ on a side not, i noticed when i had my tire/rim off that the 2 washer/bearing caps....one on each side of tire that the axle bolt slides through, i nnoticed these are held on by nothing when the tires off, one fell off in my back seat and tire was off until i replaced it, the cover the bearings on rim so u dont get gunk in there, worth looking at

The 06 model and 07 model changed (among other things) the swing arm and chain adjuster design, very different set up...

As for the Op, the previous owner or mechainic that worked on the bike last (if you didn't loose the washer) lost it.

It should ride a bit better with the axle tightened down fully...