First time with a passenger

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday for the first time I (140 pounds with gear) took my son (215 pounds with gear) for a ride on my FZ6.

Totally not what I expected.

I think I should've adjusted the preload all the way up to 7, not 5 (I normally have it at 2). It felt squishy, although we didn't bottom out. That said, I took it waaaaay easy. But it was pretty nice that when sonny-boy sat down, I could flat foot and even had a little bend to my knees.

What I really noticed was that my bike felt like it had far less power while accelerating. Not that I need to take off super fast, but the bike sure had to work harder.

Handling on the highway felt OK. Whew!

In town, the handling was actually kind of ooky. My kid sits nice and still (he's the one who rides dirt bikes), but the bike felt cumbersome and top-heavy. I guess that might be normal, with all that extra weight up so high.

This is going to take some getting used to.

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When pillion outweighs rider, it certainly upsets the "apple cart" The 6 is a little awkward for 2-up for sure but handled correctly it's capable, but imo it's not best suited for it. It does help you develop smooth operation skills for sure, and yes dial up the preload, it will help significantly, sounds like a good experience overall:thumbup:

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good that he rides and knows to sit still the slower the bike is going. Still I admire you for riding him with that weight differential! :thumbup:

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
wow, I've never has a passenger that was within 60lbs of me, much less outweighed me. I would think thats no easy task at all. Good job!

peteehoward

Reaction score
Visit site
I think that you should crank it up to 7, i have tried 5-7 with my wife riding with me and it does make a big difference. We are about the same total weight and at 355 lbs with the max weight at 400 lbs on the bike to me it should be at 7.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Putting the R6 forks on the bike made it SO much better to ride two up. Night and day.

But in general the feeling you're having is brought on by changing the steering angle by adding weight towards the rear. The higher the nose gets (even tho it might have went down some with him on) the angle the bike sits at changed and makes it very squirrelly when the nose is high! Be careful!

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
My first passenger ride was with a 120lb girl and the biggest thing I noticed was stopping. I had a had time keeping it straight when stopping at a light lol. Took a bit but i got used to it after a few stops. My passenger had been riding SS passenger for about 6 years so knew how to lean and everything, i got lucky.

Still havent rode with any newbies as passengers yet.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I feel for ya on the handling and braking, when I finally took my fiance for a ride we bumped helmets like 2 turtles f.......:BLAA:

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Great job, Susan!! I haven't been brave enough to try taking a passenger yet. (My husband laughed at me when I asked him!) :spank:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, definitely crank the preload to 7 and remember that it doesn't only get up to speed slower, it also takes more time and effort to slow down!
I highly recommend practicing quick stops and swerves with him on the bike in controlled environment (quiet parking lot or equivalent).

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, definitely crank the preload to 7 and remember that it doesn't only get up to speed slower, it also takes more time and effort to slow down!
I highly recommend practicing quick stops and swerves with him on the bike in controlled environment (quiet parking lot or equivalent).

^^ +1

True - the first time braking in a corner the passenger pushes you into/over the tank you better be ready for it! IMO the FZ seat is just not well designed and puts you both at risk. I've had my kids on and they are learning to push back on the foot rests during breaking but my son at 6.2' has his knees pretty high and that makes it difficult for him. . .

Ridley

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride two up all the time. The location of the passenger seat on the FZ6 creates a situation where the heavier the passenger, the more it unloads the front end. I have found that at low speed that I have to be very careful that the front end doesn't wash out. It would be very easy to lowside, especially with the preload on the rear shock set soft.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my FZ6, but at the same time, imo, it's not well suited to passengers, especially when the passenger is heavier than the rider.

I asked my regular passenger (my son) for his opinion, and he agreed that the FZ6 was a little twitchy two up.

It has to do with the passenger being positioned too far behind the center of the rear wheel.

Last edited:

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
I found this to be a good read for a passenger BEFORE riding:

TIPS FOR THE MOTORCYCLE PASSENGER

Oooooooh. Excellent. I sent that one to my mom (who is brave and has asked me to take her for a ride).

Great job, Susan!! I haven't been brave enough to try taking a passenger yet. (My husband laughed at me when I asked him!) :spank:
Mine didn't want to ride with me, either, until sonny-boy reported that boy, Mom shifts reeeeeeally slow, which made dh ask whether Mom slips the clutch and then suggest I take him for a little ride so he can make sure I'm shifting correctly. I suppose I'm going to be in for some lessons now. :( If he gets up the nerve to ride with me, that is. In the meantime, I found the thread "I can't shift smoothly," which hopefully will smarten up my shifting a little.

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site

I tried to take my girlfriend 2 up last year without fully adjusting the rear shock, and it was a sloppy saggy mess. Definitely adjusting to 7 the next time she gets on the back.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
I've taken the wifey to work a few times, lane splitting is hairy!!

Put the rear shock on 7, no doubt about that. Pulling off is really hard, gotta work the clutch, and you have to watch out braking, the rear brake is great for keeping the balance right. But once you're moving the fazer is great with a pillion.

Best advice for pillions i ever heard:
the pillion should at all times behave like a sack of potatoes!!

Keep it safe :)

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Oooooooh. Excellent. I sent that one to my mom (who is brave and has asked me to take her for a ride).

Mine didn't want to ride with me, either, until sonny-boy reported that boy, Mom shifts reeeeeeally slow, which made dh ask whether Mom slips the clutch and then suggest I take him for a little ride so he can make sure I'm shifting correctly. I suppose I'm going to be in for some lessons now. :( If he gets up the nerve to ride with me, that is. In the meantime, I found the thread "I can't shift smoothly," which hopefully will smarten up my shifting a little.

I hate the idea of riding pillion. I just can't do it. I'm too much of a control freak, which amazes me that my wife can ride as a passenger.

With respect to your original post, the FZ6 is definitely an interesting one when it comes to having passengers. Definitely bump the shock to 7, and check your tire pressures (you'll want them a bit higher than if you were by yourself). One of the things I've taught my wife is that when we're going up a steep hill (we have a few around here), lean against my back. That way I can move her forward and get the center of gravity a little farther forward to keep the front end from feeling so light.