Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think so, i have seen that video too, but this one i believe is more of a hooligan, stunter group that isn't telling YOU how to wheelie, they are just explaining how THEY do wheelies...

That is their version of a disclaimer...

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think so, i have seen that video too, but this one i believe is more of a hooligan, stunter group that isn't telling YOU how to wheelie, they are just explaining how THEY do wheelies...

That is their version of a disclaimer...
I will look again tonight Mate.

Thanks

youngGun

Reaction score
Visit site
I will try to explain how to clutch it up in 2nd as best i can..

When you are rolling around 30-40mph pull in the clutch bring the rpm up to around 10k and dump the clutch be sure to fully release the clutch.

Once you release the clutch the front end will come up without you having to pull up or lean back. your first couple times, you should prob try lower rpm's when (popping) the clutch just to get you acquainted with the feeling.

When pulling in the clutch i just use my pointer finger all other fingers need to stay on the bars so you can hold on :D

2nd gear wheelies will allow you much more time to think before hitting the limiter. and are alot less violent, meaning that if you are kind of choppy on the throttle its more forgiving.

Once you have master 2nd gear and are able to keep the front off the ground till the limiter you will be able to shift into third and continue to carry the front up in the air.

When you get this down, I will explain how to do (Stand UP Wheelies) which you can perform in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gears. Our bikes will pull a fourth gear wheelie at Highway Speeds just in case you were curious. I really hope this helps you in your quest to becoming a Wheelie King :D

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

When you are rolling around 30-40mph pull in the clutch bring the rpm up to around 10k and dump the clutch be sure to fully release the clutch.

Once you release the clutch the front end will come up without you having to pull up or lean back. your first couple times, you should prob try lower rpm's when (popping) the clutch just to get you acquainted with the feeling.

When pulling in the clutch i just use my pointer finger all other fingers need to stay on the bars so you can hold on :D

2nd gear wheelies will allow you much more time to think before hitting the limiter. and are alot less violent, meaning that if you are kind of choppy on the throttle its more forgiving.

Once you have master 2nd gear and are able to keep the front off the ground till the limiter you will be able to shift into third and continue to carry the front up in the air.

When you get this down, I will explain how to do (Stand UP Wheelies) which you can perform in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gears. Our bikes will pull a fourth gear wheelie at Highway Speeds just in case you were curious. I really hope this helps you in your quest to becoming a Wheelie King :D

Sounds like you should make a "How to" video...

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

It should be noted that you actually have to twist the throttle pretty far, that is, it's not just about RPM. You can get to 10K with a 1/4 turn of the throttle but I've found I need a 1/2 turn or more to actually lift the front (same RPM). What are your thoughts and how much throttle do you use?

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome to hear about your wheelie experience, keep up with the practice and never ever go underdressed.

About the clutching method i heard you guys talking about. Try not to think about all these numbers....1/2 turn, 1/4 turn, ect. Just feel for it. Start out doing it at low rpms first to see how the bike is going to respond, lets face it not everyone can be the ideal height and weight the bike is set up for. Once you get the feel for clutching it at 3,000 rpms, move up to 3,500 or 4 and so on. Never bring it up to 10,000 your first time because the clutch method is too twitchy and a lot less controlled than the power wheelie, even though our bikes are 600s they can still loop you right off of it in a hurry. Now if you build up your skills in the clutch method real slow then you will be able to control it a lot better. A good piece of advice is practice on a small dirtbike if you can....they are way more forgiving than the fz6 and all you are really trying to do is get it to balance point.

hope this info helps
:thumbup:

youngGun

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome to hear about your wheelie experience, keep up with the practice and never ever go underdressed.

About the clutching method i heard you guys talking about. Try not to think about all these numbers....1/2 turn, 1/4 turn, ect. Just feel for it. Start out doing it at low rpms first to see how the bike is going to respond, lets face it not everyone can be the ideal height and weight the bike is set up for. Once you get the feel for clutching it at 3,000 rpms, move up to 3,500 or 4 and so on. Never bring it up to 10,000 your first time because the clutch method is too twitchy and a lot less controlled than the power wheelie.

hope this info helps
:thumbup:

I totally agree with you on trying not to think about all the numbers because riding wheelies is all about feel, but i was using numbers too try ang give a starting point for someone who is less familiar with the art of riding wheelies.

Personally i think that power wheelies are much harsher and harder to control just my own opinion though

I am going to have to make a video to better explain my personal technique.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks mate,
I will give it a go on Grommit or Numptys bikes on our ride out next week.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
Great video thanks for posting it. My one question is slipping the clutch when it slips is that what brings the front wheel up or is it when you pull it in a touch and let it back out?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great video thanks for posting it. My one question is slipping the clutch when it slips is that what brings the front wheel up or is it when you pull it in a touch and let it back out?
Both the actions your describing are the same mate, pulling the clutch in until the revs rise and then opening the throttle a little whilst simutaneously letting the clutch out (a blip if you like). Should get the front up. The million dolar queestion is how much of a blip and how quick doe you let the clutch out?
I am sure that there are others here who can desctibe the process more eloquentley than me.

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if I will ever try it. I am pretty happy with the power wheelies. If I ever get enough guts to try it, you answered my question and I have a place to start from. The video just made it sound like pulling the clutch in causing it to slip would lead to the front wheel coming up which didn't make sense I figured it was the pulling it in so you could get you revs up then letting it back out.