Fairing Protection vs. Deer

pacadermng67

Reaction score
Visit site
Today I was riding around Lexington VA when a deer bolts out in front of me. I was going about 45 after coming out of a curve. I saw it and tried to slow but to no avail. It hits the front left of the bike and it felt like it swung around and smashed by leg against the bike. Not sure but I think my boots may have saved my ankle. I managed to stay up and ride through the hit.

Anyways, the front end is banged up and needs to be replaced. I was thinking of converting the bike to a streetfighter but now, I am not sure if the fairing saved the bike and me from more damage. So now, I am thinking of getting another fairing.

Any thoughts?

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think the fairing really provides any real impact protection, it is only a couple mm of plastic. If it just barely hit the fairing and then swung into you it could have completely missed you if the fairing wasn't there.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You are real lucky nothing super major happened. That deer could have taken you out pretty easily. I think the fairing probably did help out! Fortunutly you and your FZ6 will be back to ride another day. :thumbup:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm amazed that you were even able to keep the bike upright. Good job! Glad you're safe!
You know, even a tiny branch can greatly deflect a rifle bullet, (even one with massive amounts of energy). Personally I would say that anything between you and an object's impact would have an effect upon your safety, (whether it's plastic, glass, or metal). We may never know. I'm just glad you are okay. (Yet another arguement for deer whistles on our bikes?)

dukesilver

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I'm sure the fairing helped somewhat. It may only be thin plastic but there's a steel framework behind it to help spread the load.

Good job staying upright. I hit one 2 years ago. She undercut me from the right and we all went down. Deer hair all over the fairing, radiator shrouds, front tire and yes - my right leg. I managed to get my boot up in the air to take most of the hit. We were all down on the right side. Bike went 150 ft and I went 100 feet. Deer was coyote bait.

Again, good job maintaining control.

Duke