Exhaust question?

nicholas.craft

Reaction score
Visit site
Purchased a 2005 fz6 about two weeks ago. I have put approximately 1000 miles on it. To my knowledge the only upgrade is a two bro exhaust with no db killers. Ever since owning the bike I notice a very heavy exhaust smell on me and all my clothes after rides. I searched the forum and did not find exactly what I want to know so I am asking here. I know that smell means its running rich or so I think. will the CO adjustment thread work to correct the smell? Do I need to change the spark plugs first? Those are the two things I have come up with so far by doing some research. The bike has 12500 miles on it. Thanks

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6's run a bit rich on startup, and stay rich until warmed up, which is very easy to smell. After that it should be fine though. I did do the CO adjustment on mine when I had that exhaust, but I richened it(I think, can't really remember), as typically when you add an exhaust, it leans things out a little bit. As for the smell, it's normal, as the Two Bros has a larger midpipe, and the inner diameter of the cans is huge, so you're going to smell more fumes.

As far as your gear smelling like it, that doesn't seem right. Check the connections for any signs of leaking.

Last edited:

nicholas.craft

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info I will have to check the connections and get back to the thread with the outcome. I am guessing I need no CO adjustments due to the heavy exhaust smell. That means its running rich right? Any more advice would be greatly appreciated as the smell on me and my gear gives me a headache in class all day (commuter who can afford these gas prices without a bike!) thanks.

nicholas.craft

Reaction score
Visit site
Shoot for free!!? I would consider that haha. only reason I have it is I bought her used that way. I do like being heard in traffic it actually helps people recognize me, but the noise and smell are killing me!

Amorousnerdium

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.jasonwoodcock.biz
Hmmm got me wondering now... I have the stock exhaust, however, my fiancé always complains that I smell like exhaust after riding... I just thought that it was normal man/fz6 bonding...

nicholas.craft

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats awkward that you smell like that with the stock exhaust. Now you have me thinking also.. maybe it is the under seat exhaust. Being that is exits right under the rear end of the seat it could be a negative air pressure area and suck the exhaust right back at you. Kinda like trash in the bed of a truck its just a wind swirl effect? I don't know, but I do know that I stink something awful and yes I do shower.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds to me like some people need to get their bikes tuned...You should'nt be smelling your exhaust on you after riding...

If it's an aftermarket pipe causing the issue, then a Power Commander, and custom map will fix things...if it is your standard exhaust that is stinky, then the bike is getting too much fuel too...throttle bodies might need syncing, or your plugs need changing.

:thumbup:

nicholas.craft

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I am hoping that it does not need a commander with just the two bro slip on pipes. I will try the plugs first and see if that helps then maybe the sync. I would like to stay away from custom comp and tune though if at all possible.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
According to most of the non biking population. Us bikers are:
a) Smelly
b) Hairy
c) Unwashed
d) Free loving

I wouldn't worry about a slight whiff

Nelly

Ps Option d) sounds quite good?
PPS Back on track. I sometimes get a petrol smell in my textile trousers (not with my leathers).
More noticeable when in traffic and moving slowly. My spark plugs are in fine fettle.