Exhaust paint or wrap

ggill09

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a 2007 FZ6 and the headers have a little bit of surface rust on them. I was thinking about using a little rattle can or some kind of wrap to help protect them plus make it look a little better. Any suggestions are welcome.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
IMO, long term exposure to wrap traps enough moisture in the off time/cool down, and/or wet weather that they will rust out over time. That and when subjected to the debris from the front tire, it will get ugly fast. I'd opt for paint, but ceramic coating would be better. Bear in mind even the best coating will have a hard time with high speed gravel. At least the paint you can touch up yourself.

Mark3d 4 D34th

Reaction score
Visit site
x2 alot of hot rod guys that wrap there headers find out later that there headers just rot underneath the wrap if not properly taken care of. I had that happen on a set of headers cause I wasn't aware, so I say go with paint then you can see whats going on!

philosopheriam

aka: Mr. Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
This is a bit of work, but the results are great...

Try a bit of fine steel wool and flitz polish - all of that rust will be gone pronto and your header will shine like a mirror.

IF you have the time/desire to pull off the header, then you can use an electric polisher with some flitz and the entire process will be much more efficient.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Just do what I do get your bike real hot then go hit I big mud puddle!!! The mud will hide the rust :BLAA:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just do what I do get your bike real hot then go hit I big mud puddle!!! The mud will hide the rust :BLAA:

Are we back to the cow slurry??? :BLAA:

Not all SS is equal. Ever notice that some SS parts are magnetic? All that iron in there can rust once the conditions are right. I'm pretty sure these are not pure as its too expensive and likely nickel plated to make to shine. Well at least before Chev puddles them!

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Paint, ceramic coat is pretty cool. Ceramic can be expensive. Not sure of the validity of this, but I was advised don't put wrap on your headers. In light of over time the excessive, channeled heat will crack your headers. Within 6 to 18 months depending on your riding frequency. What I was told.... My guess, would be depends on the type of riding you plan on doing. Great for grabbing some temporary minimal extra horses, if any. Also great for exiting hot gasses out the motor.

Last edited: