Engine cut off on freeway

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like the fuel might be shutting off. Could be a bad/intermettent fuel pump relay or fuel pump. Lift tank and check all connectors. Do you have anti theft that might control the fuel pump relay?

S107, did you check this relay? Can you hear the fuel pump when you first turn the key on? If not, your not getting 12 volts to the pump (either the relay or ECU/wiring problem). You can disconnect the pump harness at the pump and put a volt meter on it. You should have 12 volts. Sounds like your getting the initial 12 volts to prime the fuel system (that's why it runs for 3 seconds-from the fuel in the system, then it runs out of gas).

Someone, not too long ago had a similar problem, I believe their problem was replacing the fuel pump, do a search, it was within the last month or so...

cowboytk

Reaction score
Visit site
ok so im starting to get concerned..i did the simple headlight mod of changing the wire from one plug to the other..that is when the problem started..now it just shuts off at a stop occasionally several times..and then does the same while driving...then also sputters like the fuel is cutting out...and then it is perfectly fine for hours..wtf...sometimes when it dies i have to cycle the killswitch to get it back on..PLEASE HELP with my auto having problems this is my only means of transport and cant afford it to go down on me too..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
ok so im starting to get concerned..i did the simple headlight mod of changing the wire from one plug to the other..that is when the problem started..now it just shuts off at a stop occasionally several times..and then does the same while driving...then also sputters like the fuel is cutting out...and then it is perfectly fine for hours..wtf...sometimes when it dies i have to cycle the killswitch to get it back on..PLEASE HELP with my auto having problems this is my only means of transport and cant afford it to go down on me too..

I'd put the wires back they were (stock). If your not driving fast enough (city driving) you may not be charging the battery back up to full strenth. New bikes need a good battery or will act up. The fuel pump, needs 12 volts as does the ignition.. Getting the battery load tested (its free) at any automotive store/Walmart would eliminate that as a possible problem. BTW, My 2004 FJR likes a new battery every 3 years. I just replaced it as the digital screen turned off (not normal) when cranking. It started fine but was a symptom of the battery going... Its fine now... Your extra headlight on with a borderline battery could cause problems.

Also, if flipping the kill switch got you started again, I would check the contacts inside/wiring and clean it.

You could just by-pass it altogether eliminating it. It has come up before as a problem.

Good luck..

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

One of our members just recently had a similar problem and it turned out to be the wire in the harness a few inches away from the Kill Switch
He repaired the wire and it's good now. Check the kill switch and the wire from the kill switch. It may be where it bends in the harness when steering?

Have you eliminated the actual kill switch itself by jumping the kill switch wires? Take the wires off the kill switch and make a jumper between the two wires to complete the circuit. Tape it up and take the bike for a run. If this doesn't cure it, check the actual wires.

S107

Reaction score
Visit site
I do hear the buzz before i start the bike up. I took it out a few days ago for a 60 mil ride with no problem. The next day after that 3-4 mins after I get going on the road the engine cuts power for a split second but doesnt cut out. It did that 3 times before I went back home and called it a day. Today I re-checked the:
- kill switch wire- good
- Fuel pump + relay- good
- Lean angle - good
- kick stand switch - good

Spark plugs or battery maybe? Im all out of ideas. Dealer wants $90 to diagnose problem.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I do hear the buzz before i start the bike up. I took it out a few days ago for a 60 mil ride with no problem. The next day after that 3-4 mins after I get going on the road the engine cuts power for a split second but doesnt cut out. It did that 3 times before I went back home and called it a day. Today I re-checked the:
- kill switch wire- good
- Fuel pump + relay- good
- Lean angle - good
- kick stand switch - good

Spark plugs or battery maybe? Im all out of ideas. Dealer wants $90 to diagnose problem.

Have you tried jumping the kill switch to eliminate intermittent contacts?

S107

Reaction score
Visit site
I can try tomorrow. When I opened it up today i seen the wires solderd in. So I would just take the two wires and splice them in together? Also I was reading that the inside of the fuel relay can go bad. I pulled it today but its sealed closed. Anyway to test the relay at a dealership?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I can try tomorrow. When I opened it up today i seen the wires solderd in. So I would just take the two wires and splice them in together? Also I was reading that the inside of the fuel relay can go bad. I pulled it today but its sealed closed. Anyway to test the relay at a dealership?

If you can, make a jumper for the kill switch.

Yes, the fuel pump relay's contacts can fail.

When the coil is powered you should get voltage to the fuel pump. Best way is pull the relay and test it.

mduhon

Reaction score
Visit site
for an update on what i said earlier, I haven't had time to take and clean the throttle bodies but I have noticed I can push the kill switch to the side and it turns off. Hope that helps someone narrow down their problem

cowboytk

Reaction score
Visit site
maybe its not sinking in, but how do you jump the killswitch and are there any ill effects..i have switched the headlight wires back..it is what the yamaha dealer said it could be..causing the system to think it is grounding out and shutting itself off..but i have yet to be able to run it..well see whats up..thanks for te speedy imput yall

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
maybe its not sinking in, but how do you jump the killswitch and are there any ill effects..i have switched the headlight wires back..it is what the yamaha dealer said it could be..causing the system to think it is grounding out and shutting itself off..but i have yet to be able to run it..well see whats up..thanks for te speedy imput yall

The headlight spade switch wouldn't kill the bike.

There are 2 wires soldered to the switch. Jump the two wires together. This act as if the kill switch is in the on position. It has no adverse effect on the bike unless you short the jumper to ground9 Other metal on the bike.
Take a small piece of wire and bare back enough jacket on the original kill switch wires so you can twist your jumper wire on. see if it starts.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To jump the kill switch, you can also follow where the kill switch handlebar harness plugs into the main harness.

Disconnect it there, then jump the two wires (on the main harness). If your really ambitious, you can get some spade connectors (don't know off hand if their male or female) crimp them on a short wire and plug it into the main harness. You could leave it there permanently if you wanted (by passing the kill switch).

Something else you can do, start the bike, then turn the handle bars back and forth trying to re-enact the problem. Should that not work, manualy work the harness back and forth some (from the switch to where it enters into the the frame/body work) with the bike running. If there's a break INSIDE THE WIRE (not visable on the outside of the wire) it should act up.

I've found shorted wires where the outside of the wire looked fine but internally, the wire was rotted or broke. They were found using a meter checking for a solid connection. Manually moving the wires will reveal the problem if its in the wire(s) and not the actual switch.

Last edited:

cowboytk

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the input..i went riding yesterday..and was riding perfectly fine in the morning fog (thanks weatherman) then as soon as i hit stop and go traffic on the highway it started acting up...and pissing me off..once i made it through the traffic i had no problems..until it came to slow, low rpm driving. a few hours later after class, i went to start her up and she died three times..and twice more on my way out and not again the entire way home..btw forgot to mention all these times having to flip the killswitch was intermitten...please help cuz im on the verge of gettin rid of her..esp since its only been three months since i have owned it and already problems..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the input..i went riding yesterday..and was riding perfectly fine in the morning fog (thanks weatherman) then as soon as i hit stop and go traffic on the highway it started acting up...and pissing me off..once i made it through the traffic i had no problems..until it came to slow, low rpm driving. A few hours later after class, i went to start her up and she died three times..and twice more on my way out and not again the entire way home..btw forgot to mention all these times having to flip the killswitch was intermitten...please help cuz im on the verge of gettin rid of her..esp since its only been three months since i have owned it and already problems..

hotwire/bypass the kill switch........................

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the input..i went riding yesterday..and was riding perfectly fine in the morning fog (thanks weatherman) then as soon as i hit stop and go traffic on the highway it started acting up...and pissing me off..once i made it through the traffic i had no problems..until it came to slow, low rpm driving. a few hours later after class, i went to start her up and she died three times..and twice more on my way out and not again the entire way home..btw forgot to mention all these times having to flip the killswitch was intermitten...please help cuz im on the verge of gettin rid of her..esp since its only been three months since i have owned it and already problems..

I don't know if it's me or there might be something else going on here. A few times it has been posted on this thread to try and eliminate a common problem with intermittent kill switches by jumping out the kill switch. I keep seeing the same posts stating the same problem with out trying to eliminate the cause. It seems like you think the bike may heal itself. These bikes are awesome but in most cases they'll need a little help from you when they're ailing. If you are not understanding what we are trying to help you with or you don't have the ability to do the modification/ repair you should go to someone locally that might help you. Maybe another forum member in your town or cycle mechanic.
Please try to eliminate the kill switch circuit and associated wiring. Then come back and report. These are generally awesome bikes and I understand your frustration. Don't get rid of it just yet...:D

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if it's me or there might be something else going on here. A few times it has been posted on this thread to try and eliminate a common problem with intermittent kill switches by jumping out the kill switch. I keep seeing the same posts stating the same problem with out trying to eliminate the cause. It seems like you think the bike may heal itself. These bikes are awesome but in most cases they'll need a little help from you when they're ailing. If you are not understanding what we are trying to help you with or you don't have the ability to do the modification/ repair you should go to someone locally that might help you. Maybe another forum member in your town or cycle mechanic.
Please try to eliminate the kill switch circuit and associated wiring. Then come back and report. These are generally awesome bikes and I understand your frustration. Don't get rid of it just yet...:D

I'm done posting re this particular problem. He can bring it to the shop or sell it....

cowboytk

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm done posting re this particular problem. He can bring it to the shop or sell it....

no need to be like that guy..im just trying to make sure all of my bases are covered, before i do any unnecessary modifications..i am pretty sure splicing the kill switch will fix it from what everyone has described i just need the time to do it..ill try the fix and get back with yall..

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Seems to be two people on this one thread with similar problems, both are answering as if responses posted to them. Are you guys responding noticing that it is two different posters?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Seems to be two people on this one thread with similar problems, both are answering as if responses posted to them. Are you guys responding noticing that it is two different posters?

Yes, pleasere-read posts #36 and #35. It addresses his particular problem as well as possible/most probably fixes...