Electrical guru's, need your expertise

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay here's my issue.

Background Info;

I did a mod and put LED's inside my headlight's, Audi look. They are tuned on when the bike starts. I bypassed the low beam 'on' so the LEDs turn on instead. Been working awesome and no problems. I also installed LED lights around the bike in various spots and they all turn on with a switch. I also want to operate the front headlight LED lights on the same switch as the perimeter LEDs, when the bike is turned off.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/17557-audi-style-leds-2007-fz6.html

3686028154_43c4f45f92.jpg

Problem needing solution;

So I tried putting on a DIODE between the switch and headlight LED's, it lasted about 5 minutes before it burned to a crisp!. It was a 50v DIODE which I figured was enough but I forgot about the amps which probably caused it to burn. Anyway does anyone know what I need to put between the switch and headlight LED to prevent current from going back to the switch when the bike is running?

I hope someone understands what I am explaining and will try to clarify best I can since I know some electrical stuff but obviously not enough.

thanks for any help!

Steve

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i don't know the solution to your problem.. but that is one fine looking bike... digin the audi look... :thumbup:

S

Shamus McFeeley

If you wanted to operate your headlight LEDs on the same switch as your perimeter ones, you should have wired all the LEDS to that switch. It looks to me like you spliced the headlight LEDs onto the headlight circuit and removed the low beam all together. I am not sure what you mean by "prevent current from going back to the switch when the bike is running". I am not sure why you are using a diode in the first place.

If I had done this, I would have run the LEDs on their own fused circuit with a toggle switch. You could have used relays as well although it would have complicated things a lot more. You have to be careful when tapping into a power source for an accessory. It is important that you are taking into account the gauge of that wire or wires in the system, and whether or not they will be able to handle the extra amps/voltage you are going to be demanding though that circuit.

I've seen this with cars. A great example is the guy who uses the nearest 12vdc power source for his new radio. Paying no mind to what circuit it is even on, he installs his radio, only to blow out his electric fan motor because that wire he "spliced" into just happened to be part of the fan circuit.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like the LED circuit is trying to power the bike when you loop into it.

What you need is two diodes, not sure what current rating but guess 2amp.

The existing circuit to the LEDs needs a diode adding in series

Power source-------->¦-----LED------ground

You then need to attach the switched power via another diode that links into the circuit after the other diode

Code:
Power source----------->¦------------LED-----ground
                            ¦
Switched--------------->¦----

Hope that makes sense

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a quicky diagram that will work.
When the headlamp circuit is active The Audi style LED's will light but the diode will not conduct and light the other diodes. When the switch turns on the other LED's the diode conducts and lights the Audi style LED's.

I lived in Belmar for a little bit! Haha!

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd just power the LED's off the running light circuit to one of the blinkers/running lights as they come on as soon as the key is turned on. Use a relay if necessary. Why add more complexity?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd just power the LED's off the running light circuit to one of the blinkers/running lights as they come on as soon as the key is turned on. Use a relay if necessary. Why add more complexity?

He wants to run the Audi lights when he turns on the other LEDs but not the other way around. When he runs the Audi lights he doesn't want the other LEDs on the bike to come on.

You're right on about the running light circuit but I believe the low beam circuit and wiring is better because it switches off when using the high beam which will save current.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a quicky diagram that will work.
When the headlamp circuit is active The Audi style LED's will light but the diode will not conduct and light the other diodes. When the switch turns on the other LED's the diode conducts and lights the Audi style LED's.

I lived in Belmar for a little bit! Haha!

Steve wants to run the LEDs with the ignition off, with your circuit the diode will also be trying to power the headlight.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Steve wants to run the LEDs with the ignition off, with your circuit the diode will also be trying to power the headlight.

I believe he said he was bypassing the headlight (I'll assume low beam) and using that feed to power the Audi style LEDs. He wanted to power the Audi lights with the other LEDs from a separate switch.
Yes if the low beam headlight is still connected it would light....

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, the switch powers the perimiter LED's and I want that same switch to power the headlight LEDs when the bike is off. I also use the same switch to power the LED's while riding.

The reason I put a DIODE between the switch and the headlight LED's was just forethought that if the amperage that runs from the headlight LED feed (low beam wiring) back to the switch is higher than switch can handle, will I have a fire or electrical issues?

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, the switch powers the perimiter LED's and I want that same switch to power the headlight LEDs when the bike is off. I also use the same switch to power the LED's while riding.

The reason I put a DIODE between the switch and the headlight LED's was just forethought that if the amperage that runs from the headlight LED feed (low beam wiring) back to the switch is higher than switch can handle, will I have a fire or electrical issues?

So you want the switch to turn both on if the bike is off but only the perimeter LEDs if the bike is on??

Perhaps a state table would help, give conditions like is ignition on or off, switch on or off and what is desired condition for perimeter and Audi LEDs, like

..........INPUTS...........................OUTPUTS
Bike Ign...|...Switch..|....Perm LEDs...|...Audi LEDs
on/off......|...on/off...|.....on/off.......|...on/off
---------------------------------------------------
Off ............Off..................?.....................?
Off.............On..................?.....................?
On.............Off..................?.....................?
On.............On..................?.....................?

Those are your 4 possible combinations, fill in your desired output

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site

If you already have one diode you just need to wire from the + of the perimeter LEDS through a diode, and connect this after your existing LED as per my original drawing.

For protection you could add a fuse into the wire from the headlight circuit to your switch, if you have a 2amp diode then use a 2amp fuse. You should also add a fuse to the supply to your perimeter LEDs again 2amp (or slightly higher) if you haven't already.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you already have one diode you just need to wire from the + of the perimeter LEDS through a diode, and connect this after your existing LED as per my original drawing.

For protection you could add a fuse into the wire from the headlight circuit to your switch, if you have a 2amp diode then use a 2amp fuse. You should also add a fuse to the supply to your perimeter LEDs again 2amp (or slightly higher) if you haven't already.

Yes you should fuse any circuit (separate switch) you add to the bike. The headlamp circuit that he's using to power the Audi LEDs will already be fused on the bike. The perimeter lights circuit will be run from a direct source from the battery and should be fused from the source before the added switch.