Ear plugs or no ear plugs that is the question?

Do you use ear plugs to prevent hearing damage.

• Yes I wear them all the time

Votes: 201 54.0%
  • No never used them..

Votes: 132 35.5%
  • Pardon......

Votes: 39 10.5%

• Total voters

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the only time i actually wear ear plugs is when I am not actually riding but when i am cornerworking at the track. A pack of 20 bikes screaming by you 15 feet away at 100 MPH gets really loud without them.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
In the Motorsports Lab here at UNCC we have a ear plug despencer thing for use we we are grinding and such. I snaged a couple one afternoon for when I was planning on riding. I tried them and ditched them a few miles later. I did not like being able to hear everything going on. My helmet (CL-12) has alot of wind noise but after a while I just tune it out.

From time to time I plug in my iPod, if I know I will be on the highway for a period of time. (I avoid the highway at all possible cost, its so boring)

-bryan

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to experiment with using an iPod with JVC "Marshmallow" ear buds when I start riding again in the Spring. I went shooting last weekend using the JVC ear buds (both on their own and under my electronic ear muffs) and they block noise VERY well. They are compact, comfortable and easy to fit, and don't pull out when putting on my helmet like other ear buds do.

bike10

Reaction score
Visit site
Ear Plugs

I suggest you use these. I mentioned before regarding my hearing loss from riding. I have tried out a lot of ear plugs for riding and 4 years of Army helicopters and 8 years of shooting and have found that these work the best. The blue cord will pull out easily.

H

HavBlue

I promise if you try them, you will realise they are not a danger and are a help.
You will have more available mental capacity for the ride, be more rested, more calm, and still hear everything you heard before. Nothing you need to hear will be hidden. Try it and I promise you will like it. Get GOOD ones though, not cheap crap.

I can neither agree or disagree with this line of thinking. I will however say that it has been my experience the plugs (good ones) do reduce audible sound detection by the ear and as a result made it more difficult to hear things I want to hear at the range I want to hear them. This includes emergency vehicles. I will see the lights before hearing the siren.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
BAM! BAM! Then Vrooooom Vroooom!

I wear Israeli earplugs from heartech. They were rated high and are not disposable. On top of them :eek:, I wear Peltor's Ultimate 10. That's at the range though.:D

Seriously though, my FZ6 is not a loud bike at all. If it is the traffic noise (especially from those big rigs) I recommend a good helmet. I got a Shoei RF-1000, from my experience it does a good job filtering out loud noise. If that is not enough, try the Israeli heartechs.

Cheers

Last edited:

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
I didnt use them until I statrted after this thread. The difference they make in sound and rider concentration is fantastick. They block out most of the wind and road noise but can hear the engine and other vehicles just fine.
What a difference. Now I wear them even on short rides.

Hazardous006

Reaction score
Visit site
With the helmte i wear most noise is a bare min without quieting the important noise that i need like other cards around me and such. Tried wearing earbuds but after hour long drive my ears were hurting. I work around a 30 ton CNC Punch mahine all day and i use my headphones instead of plugs but u cant really wear headphones under a helmet. lol

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Those heartech ones look good. I usually depend on my iPod headphones to do it for me since they are the in-ear type buds that cancel outside noise. I might give these a try for when I'm not using the iPod. The wife might want a pair.

ecurb

Reaction score
Visit site
Never wore them before last Sunday when I went on my first sport ride with a group (thanks again, Jake!). We went over 300 miles and hit speeds that I've never even seen in a car, and I was extremely glad to have the ear plugs. I used the disposable, wax plugs and they were very comfortable and worked great! I'll never go on a long ride without them.

On a completely unrelated topic, I expected to have leg cramps or at least a sore butt after such a long ride (7.5 hours with 4 breaks), but was pleasantly surprised by how comfortable the FZ6 was, even after a full day of riding. A lot of people talk about the stock seat being uncomfortable, but I have no complaints. I found it more comfortable than spending the same amount of time in a car seat. No leg cramps either. :thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats two results then in one day mate. I swear by ear plugs for the longer ride.
We are also fixing up a UK ride so I look forward to not looking like john wayne also (abit a short slightly fat one)
Neil

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Ear Plugs

I suggest you use these. I mentioned before regarding my hearing loss from riding. I have tried out a lot of ear plugs for riding and 4 years of Army helicopters and 8 years of shooting and have found that these work the best. The blue cord will pull out easily.

my ears are sensitive to what i put in them, and those look huge! Hmmm, that sounds a little strange, I dont actually put much
in my ears :D

bu i am wondering if those come in different sizes? Some linkage would be great too.

thanks

gpwanabe

Reaction score
Visit site
Earplugs don’t just protect your hearing; they make it easier to hear your surroundings by reducing that annoying (and painful) wind noise. At least that’s been my experience.

Darren

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Earplugs don’t just protect your hearing; they make it easier to hear your surroundings by reducing that annoying (and painful) wind noise. At least that’s been my experience.

Darren
Hi Darren,

Can you just quantify your post a bit more. I am not an Audiologist. I was under the impression that the wind noise in your lid can reach up to 80-90dB. That is certainly the level required to cause damage.
Am I being a bit simplistic in my thinking, but if you cant hear the noise you reduce the damage? I agree though that other sounds can become easier to hear.

Neil

gpwanabe

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Darren,

Can you just quantify your post a bit more. I am not an Audiologist. I was under the impression that the wind noise in your lid can reach up to 80-90dB. That is certainly the level required to cause damage.
Am I being a bit simplistic in my thinking, but if you cant hear the noise you reduce the damage? I agree though that other sounds can become easier to hear.

Neil

Hi Neil,

Sorry, I have no scientific data to quantify my post. I am only posting my experience with earplugs. On those days when I forget to put earplugs in the wind noise can become painful above 65mph. As far as I’m concerned pain equals damage. I use the earplugs to reduce the noise below the pain threshold. Being more aware of my surroundings due to reduced wind noise is icing on the cake.

Darren

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Same as here mate. I have had experience just like you with that horrible wind blast.
RiDE did a good article on the subject:

See what you think.

Neil:thumbup:

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought this:

Foam Ear Plug Trial Pack: Try 'Em All! (58 Assorted Pairs) - Foam Ear Plug Trial Packs

Its 58 different types of disposable earplugs to try out. $14.95 + $7.50 for 2 day shipping 22.45$ for at least 2 months safe hearing. Plus when I am done I will have a shoot off of my favorites and the winner gets to bought by the gross and shoved into my nasty ear canal for years to come! :surrender:

hope this works, the headphones are struggling to top the wind noise and I dont want in on that battle.