Dyno Run video! Gas Cap! Krid80! Lots of PICS!

+1 to what Pete said...

I also heard that a 10-20% difference in base HP numbers from one dyno to another is pretty common (many variables... + don't most dynos calculate HP based on torque, and don't really get direct HP numbers? that would add another factor of error/variation)... I also heard that dynojet setups were "by far" the most "optimistic" of the bunch... (seems that OEM numbers are always a bit optimistic too).

While base peak numbers are important somewhat (for bragging rights), I thought what was more important was to use whatever map you get as a baseline for comparison when adding mods/adjusting FI/etc...

check your dyno chart and see what the CF was...

If you dynoed on a hot/humid day and did not correct to "standard" temp/pressure/humidity, the numbers will be low. Uncorrected dyno will show a CF of 1.0.

Uncorrected numbers are exactly what your bike was making for power on a given day/conditions. The CF attempts to compensate for air pressure/altitude, temp, etc.

It is something like 1% power loss for every 10F gain in temp. Humidity and altitude have similar effects.

You can also find out the exact model dyno used, I read your post before that it was a dynojet eddy current model, so maybe that will read lower (like a factorypro) as compared to the cheaper/older inertia dynos.

On my print out the CF is SAE so its standard, smoothing set at 5. As for conditions I dont have those anymore kinda sucks.

Dyno was new, only a couple of years old. Its their 250i.

For the record: The standard Euro FZ6 came with 98 hp in the period 2004 - 2006. When the 2007 S2 model was introduced, Yamaha restricted the non-ABS versions down to 78 HP. The S2 model was delivered with 98 hp.

Another thing that I'm pretty certain of, is that this restriction is merely a little washer fitted at the end of the throttle cable where it connects to the throttle bodies (I believe). This will prevent you from twisting the throttle all the way, and you will have a hard time hitting those high RPM's. The school bike I rode was a 78 hp version (2008 model, and looked exactly like mine). The difference between that and my bike is quite noticable.

I don't think this is a ECU thing, but I can't be 100% sure.

Another thing that I'm pretty certain of, is that this restriction is merely a little washer fitted at the end of the throttle cable where it connects to the throttle bodies (I believe). This will prevent you from twisting the throttle all the way, and you will have a hard time hitting those high RPM's. The school bike I rode was a 78 hp version (2008 model, and looked exactly like mine). The difference between that and my bike is quite noticable.

+1 ^

That's why the French FZ6 forum has multiple tutorials about how to get rid of the little "throttle blocking washer"..... :thumbup:

For the record: The standard Euro FZ6 came with 98 hp in the period 2004 - 2006. When the 2007 S2 model was introduced, Yamaha restricted the non-ABS versions down to 78 HP. The S2 model was delivered with 98 hp.

Could you enlighten a little more about this "washer". I'd really really really like to know if I can get rid of this washer or what can be done about it. If I can improve my performance by simply removing a small washer Im all ears!!!!:D

That 98hp you are talking about, is at the crank, not the rear wheel, where it is read from a rolling dyno...Factory HP figures are taken from bench reading's, when the engine aint in the bike.

:thumbup:

Could you enlighten a little more about this "washer". I'd really really really like to know if I can get rid of this washer or what can be done about it. If I can improve my performance by simply removing a small washer Im all ears!!!!:D

If your bike is US spec, I wouldn't bother fiddling with it. As Wolfman said, the 98 (or 78 in some cases) hp's are at the crank, not the rear wheel. As far as I get it, your bike has more than 78 hp at the rear, right? If so, your bike cannot be restricted in that way.

I havent' gone looking for that washer myself (as my bike is the 98 hp version), but I've heard that it's a replacement thingy for the original one. I think it has some kind of stopper on it, which restricts the throttle movement. It's located at the end of the throttle cable.

If your bike is US spec, I wouldn't bother fiddling with it. As Wolfman said, the 98 (or 78 in some cases) hp's are at the crank, not the rear wheel. As far as I get it, your bike has more than 78 hp at the rear, right? If so, your bike cannot be restricted in that way.

I havent' gone looking for that washer myself (as my bike is the 98 hp version), but I've heard that it's a replacement thingy for the original one. I think it has some kind of stopper on it, which restricts the throttle movement. It's located at the end of the throttle cable.

Nah my bike has 78 hp at the rear wheel.

So I guessing in order to increase my performance would be for me to get a PCIII, tune it and hope for the best?

But even with a PCIII will I be able able to come close to the 90+ hp range?:confused:

no. a 12 horse gain is pretty unheard of on a 600 without serious mods.

Yea thats true, 12 ponies= no simple blot on.

PC3 can only do so much, it aint a miracle worker lol.

Perhaps an airbox mod, PC3, clean plugs, clean filter, a true"y pipe design, and thought about a cat elim but I like clean air with power, plus if i have kids it helps with their future too. With that I could almost see 82hp if Im lucky. :thumbup:

Bikes available in Singapore think comes with 78 as well... I did my hard break in on a Dyno Machine, I'll try to dig out the graph hidden somewhere... Is pretty close to what was stated. After mounting a K&N, PCIII and LV pipe, I went for a 2nd run on the Dyno, could only touch the 80 range. But the Fuel Consumption went up to 15km/Litre. Now I'm arranging for another run with BMC, LV and PCIII see if there is any difference... By the way if you know how can we get back the 98 on stock do let me know, haha I'm very interested.

Back