^#$^$* Dropped the new bike

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
My lower screw hole was broken when I got it. I am using the pod lights as blinkers for now. I will install Flush turn signals in the future.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I have you beat with the dumbass newbie move. I went out riding with my cousin David, and when we got back, I put down my kickstand, or so I thought, and turned the wheel to the left, just like I learned in MSF class, and started to swing my leg over. Apparently I didn't get the kickstand down all the way. I (and my bike) went over in slow motion. My bike is OK, my pride is not. David was nice enough not to laugh at me too hard. Just a few scratches on the bike, but it I've only had it 2 weeks.:eek:

Se7enLC

Nerd
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha. Sadly no license. I take it as a sign that I should get my license through the MSF BRC.

That's what I recommend to everyone that wants to get into riding. The BRC is expensive, but not nearly as expensive as a bike. Not only do you get to ride around on somebody else's bike (and not have to worry about knocking it over), but you also get to take the exam on a 125 or 250cc bike. Those things are EASY to maneuver! I'm not 100% sure I could do the smaller box figure-8 on the fz6 even now, but it was a piece of cake on the honda rebel 125!

benjfoster

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I have you beat with the dumbass newbie move. I went out riding with my cousin David, and when we got back, I put down my kickstand, or so I thought, and turned the wheel to the left, just like I learned in MSF class, and started to swing my leg over. Apparently I didn't get the kickstand down all the way. I (and my bike) went over in slow motion. My bike is OK, my pride is not. David was nice enough not to laugh at me too hard. Just a few scratches on the bike, but it I've only had it 2 weeks.:eek:

Ouch, well sounds about even to me!! Sorry to hear about the scratches. It sucks for the first few days, but I have gotten over it and got right back into riding. So far so good. Enjoy the new bike!

S

sm00thpapa

I dropped my FZ6R the first day I got it in the grass. I can kick myself in the arse for not going to the BRC before attempting to ride it. But thats in the past and nothing to dwell on. The only damage was the left turn signal rubber holder broke and fell off. It only cut a slice in the rubber but I was able to put it back on and it holds firmly still. You can't even notice the damage it is so minor. I might pick up a new rubber peice so I can fix it permanently. Hopefully the dealer has them in stock or I might have to order a whole new complete turn signal to get it. Maybe I'll just buy after market flush mount turn signals.

2008fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine fell on my very first day with it, at the first stop sign! The bike started falling, and just didn't really want to stop. When I got home, the right turn signal mount was broke loose from the fairing, but with my dad's help we found a decent solution.
Unscrew the mount, and get everything lined up like it should be, then use superglue to get it temporarily fixed. Then after its dry enough to stay in place without being held, take some fiberglass resin and apply a coat to where it broke off, let it dry and repeat. After two coats, and drying overnight, it should be dry enough to screw the mount back in.

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site

and I think I have you trumped for the same thing happened to my bike.....courtesy of my neighbor who I let ride it up and down our street. FML

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
meh - it happens. My advice - if you're dropping it again while standing still and you know it's going to drop....

just help it down but don't put your back out trying to hold it up...I did that and then didn't ride for a week :( just let it down gently if possible.

S

sm00thpapa

meh - it happens. My advice - if you're dropping it again while standing still and you know it's going to drop....

just help it down but don't put your back out trying to hold it up...I did that and then didn't ride for a week :( just let it down gently if possible.

That's what I did when I dropped my bike. I kind of cradled it to the ground. If I would of had frame sliders on my first day the turn signal might of never even touched the grass.

Steve F

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi
sorry to hear about the drop and not passing the test.

I saw you mentioned retaking the test at the MSF BRC. May I suggest DEFINITELY taking the class. It's great but don't to the DMV test on a 125 cc bike. My belief is unless you can pass the DMV test on the bike you'll normally ride you shouldn't be out on the road. Best of luck to you.

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for your bike and sucks about the licence.
I was teaching my wife on my bike FZ6 and she did exactly the same.
I fixed the turn light with some epoxy plastiline and painted in black, since the bike is black and the fixe is inside, you won't even notice it.
Hope you get your licence soon.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
no you're not. +1 right here. Started on a 250cc and would recommend it to everyone.

ditto that. i don't think the fz6 is a first bike at all. and i don't think it's a conincidence in the amount of crashed that you continue to read about on here. i was telling my wife a few weeks ago. i spend time on this forum and total motorcycle world. on TMW there are a number of motorcycle instructors and the advice on there is to always start small. it's a rare thing to read about someone having an accident over on that forum. it happens... but it's rare. i wouldn't call it rare on this forum. 50 hp or below is a good first bike. not one with about 100, a light rear end and such sensitive brakes. but again, i do think we're in the minority.