Do you turn brights off in traffic?

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to run with brights on during the day, but it was mainly to illuminate the "other" headlight. Since I went with BD43s mod I don't do it any more. I saw a bike the other day who had obviously swapped his bulbs out for "bluer" ones and it really stood out. I may do that in the future.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to run with brights on during the day, but it was mainly to illuminate the "other" headlight. Since I went with BD43s mod I don't do it any more. I saw a bike the other day who had obviously swapped his bulbs out for "bluer" ones and it really stood out. I may do that in the future.

Go HID projectors and no one will ever miss you coming...color flicker! :thumbup:
Img_0231.jpg

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
Go HID projectors and no one will ever miss you coming...color flicker! :thumbup:

I have read with great interest the threads on here about going to HID projectors, but since changing a bulb is pushing my technical ability to just about breaking point I'll leave it at that :):):):)

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup I obviously like running my brights at all times and have noticed a difference on how many cars pull out in front of me and if I can see that im blindind someone I will turn them off

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Heheheheheh...then 'splain to me why I've never had anyone "pull out in front of me" w/o my either "anticipating" it or being able to slow down enough - and I'm not talking "emergency stop/swerve" - to allow them to finish their "maneuver" (no matter how idiotic it may have been at the time)? Then again, I ride at the posted speeds (ok, 5 MPH over), look ahead at least 4 car lengths, am constantly scanning and monitoring my mirrors. Mind you, I stay in low beam, stay to the right (or middle lane) and only have a yellow helmet to enhance my "visibility"...and I STILL enjoy the ride (huh...go figure :Flip:).

To each their own :rockon: Peace - may your c****y attitude keep you - and those around you - safe(r).

Clay350

Reaction score
Visit site
I seriously question how bothersome the high beam is to other drivers. I have been riding with my high beam every night 99% of the time. Never once have I had someone flash there brights at me. If I was in my car I would get flashed non-stop. The low beams are worthless on the FZ6.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Out of the NY DMV manual NYS DMV - Motorcycle Manual - Ride Within Your Abilities "The best way to help others see your motorcycle is to keep the headlight on - at all times (motorcycles sold in the U.S. since 1978 have the headlights on automatically when running.) Studies show that, during the day, a motorcycle with its light on is twice as likely to be noticed. Use of the high beam during the day increases the likelihood that oncoming drivers will see you. Use the low beam at night and in cloudy weather."

That being said i only use my brights at night when nobody is coming or in front of me.... i've been yelled at by my GF that to trun my brights off when i'm behind her, and they were never on.... Versys lights are exceptional
lol

ykbell09

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I seriously question how bothersome the high beam is to other drivers. I have been riding with my high beam every night 99% of the time. Never once have I had someone flash there brights at me. If I was in my car I would get flashed non-stop. The low beams are worthless on the FZ6.

I have to agree with you. I never really thought about it, but when I met my husband and started with him, he insisted that I leave my high beams on all the time. I've never once had anyone flash their lights at me, say anything to me, or drive noticabely different whether it is on or off. After picking up my new FZ6 I was riding behind my husband and he intercomms me and says, "wow you're light is bright." I asked him if it was too bright and I should turn my brights off and he said, no, it wasn't a problem. I'm sort of green, so I try to trust his judgement!

Also, we ride in a highly congested area, and a good majority of the people we ride with also follow the same rule of always riding with their brights. I have a feeling that living that even at night, with the multitude of street lamps here, the bright doesn't really seem as prominent as if we were in a rural area. I would be willing to turn it off if I felt like I was blinding someone I was behind ... but I generally don't ride behind anyone :D

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site

I have the opposite issue on my Versys... i get flashed when i low beams are on :( But tbh my low's are better than my cavalier's and the Highs are twice as good as my cars..

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Heheheheheh...then 'splain to me why I've never had anyone "pull out in front of me" w/o my either "anticipating" it or being able to slow down enough - and I'm not talking "emergency stop/swerve" - to allow them to finish their "maneuver" (no matter how idiotic it may have been at the time)? Then again, I ride at the posted speeds (ok, 5 MPH over), look ahead at least 4 car lengths, am constantly scanning and monitoring my mirrors. Mind you, I stay in low beam, stay to the right (or middle lane) and only have a yellow helmet to enhance my "visibility"...and I STILL enjoy the ride (huh...go figure :Flip:).

To each their own :rockon: Peace - may your c****y attitude keep you - and those around you - safe(r).

explain to you....cant do that all i can say is that maybe drivers up there are a little more curtious, cautious, or just slow. but i will keep doing what i have been without a second thought other wise until i see a car wreck in a firey explosion in my mirrors (very unlikely) and will keep enjoying myself very much so. So you do you and ill do me.....ohhh if i would have only known that my opinion on the topic would have gotten under the very thin skin of a select few i might have refrained from offering it....naaaaa i frogot...... thats kinda what this whole forum is for

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think of it like this - how would you like it if a vehicle approached you with their lights on high beam? I think it would be annoying and dangerous.

Courteous to drop high beam off for all approaching traffic. Having a car or bike come at me at night with high beams on - dangerous.

As for during the day time, I think it depends on the weather/conditions at the time. I actually still find it off-putting and annoying when someone has the high beams on during the day. Most motorcycle lights are bright enough and noticeable.

I don't think it's necessary to p155 everyone off on the road by shining a bright light in their eyes. Cagers hate us enough as it is.

My 2c worth :)

Last edited:

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I have read with great interest the threads on here about going to HID projectors, but since changing a bulb is pushing my technical ability to just about breaking point I'll leave it at that :):):):)

Don't waste your money on those "bluer" lights. You can't see squat at night. The light coming out of them just isn't that bright. You might be seen better, but you won't be able to see where you're going.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site

If you do not want to go HID then the next best thing would be to buy the sylvania silverstars, the brightest standard bulb out there and you can get them in white, blue, or with a "HID look"

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

DruGus

(non) ClockWorking Fazer
Reaction score
Visit site
On another note, the HD/"cruiser/chopper" crew seems to like leaving their highs on ALL the time...make me think a low flying UFO is about to have a head on with me :Flip:

:D

Agree with everything at all........anyway, we are weakest element
in traffic, our driving must be carefoul and deffensive independently
your skill hability. Be respectful but don´t expect same. This is my kharma :tard:

:rockon: Be agressive on road, not with other drivers.
High beam nearest is less knowledge from user
and probably left-hander in my opinion.

Beers & coke for all

DruGus

(non) ClockWorking Fazer
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't waste your money on those "bluer" lights. .

I assure this. Buid a chinese blue lamps and mod very nice with led "position"
each side, but couldn´t see anything in open road, just for be seen on city.

Now I have Xp-Phillips in my Fazer (h4+h7) with both lamps on (in low beam)
and the light is well bright and white combined with correct height in lamps
is perfect for me at driving in dark open road.

Still haven´t found the perfect lighting in any bike for twisty road,
not even Bmw :spank: .

adding a photo

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the opposite issue on my Versys... i get flashed when i low beams are on :( But tbh my low's are better than my cavalier's and the Highs are twice as good as my cars..

Could it be your headlamps are aimed high?

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
I am fairly new to riding. Got my fz6 month ago. I would like to ride with my brights on all the time at night. Does it annoy other drivers like a regular vehicle with brights? Is it illegal. Does anyone else always ride with brights?

Clay

Brights are a ticket offense here in my state. Will it happen for a motorcyclist ? Most likely not.

Yes, it will annoy drivers, but moreso at night, from behind them. Give them the courtesy of dimming your beams when you're directly behind them, and on two lane roads at night. FLASH HI LOW if you feel the need. It may save your life.

I prefer to run one headlight during the day as it looks very odd, and odd is what you want. A different color (temperature) low beam bulb is a good idea. A yellow seems to stand out. It's different = good. TIcketable ? Maybe, but not likely.

ALso, when you're pulled over for whatever, be nice. If you have no tickets (hopefully) the leo will likely let you off for minor things like lights if you're respectful and explain you're trying to be as safe as possible... new rider... etc

IF he rides at all, he'll likely give some advice, shake your hand and wish you well.

Ride safe

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Still haven´t found the perfect lighting in any bike for twisty road,
not even Bmw :spank: .

[/URL]

The perfect lighting is dual HID (bi-xenon) projectors mounted at an angle to create a "V" shaped cutoff on low beam...this way even when leaned over around a corner on low beam you will get low side coverage. On highbeam it is like there is no night and you can ride 90% of what you can in daylight. Once you go real HID projectors you never can settle for reflector anythings! :rockon:

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
Some feedback on bulbs:

My bike came used with blue bulbs. Looked really cool with the blue bike. Visibility to others was fine...I was a pair of radioactive smurf-berries closing in on them quickly, hard to miss that.

Sylvania star-whatevers are clear and white, if a bit pricey. My switch to that for the hi-lo bulb definitely improved sight, but not to the point of being bright by any means.

I do continue to use my hi-lo beams as if I were in the cage. I don't expect to run anyone off the road if I don't, just respect for other drivers.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Could it be your headlamps are aimed high?

I thought that but they are pointed low as possible, and they shoot about they same height when compared to my cavalier, idk, maybe the stock fixture is just naturally high?

Edit: I just remembered that the PO had the bike lowered, i wonder if that somehow made the beams shoot higher....

Last edited: