Do You Own the Right Motorcycle?

See post below. Then answer. Question is in red halfway down the post.

• Total voters

oogie

Reaction score
Visit site
For me there is not one bike that will do it, I want a garage full. I bought the little Dr200 for doing the dirt roads and trails, my short inseam limits my choices on other adventure bikes,otherwise I'd buy something larger, a Multistrada perhaps. Sold my cruiser after putting 30k+ on it, now I'd like a Connie or other touring bike,and something vintage in the BSA,Triumph category and the list goes on and on....

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
I really like my FZ6...if I could loose a little of the windnoise roar around my helmet it would be even better. Altho the new Sprint GT is a really nice ride and I'm attracted to the 2011 Z1000, my next bike will most likely be a Veradero or Tenere (whichever is cheaper to maintain, thats why the 1200GS isn't on my list) Have the need to go down a few more fire roads than I can with the FZ6 and pack a little more gear and a Pillion, perhaps....

jnappier

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently added the FZ6 to my garage collection. It is a fun light bike, I can't wait to put some miles on it. So far I can't find a single bike that meets all my wants and needs. There are still bikes I would like to ride and own.
So many bikes so little time and garage space.

Dr.Landau

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you hungry enough for a better riding experience in some specific category that in the next year or two you would purchase an addition motorcycle? Consider money to be an object, but not enough of one to make this a reckless or impossible decision.

Great thread lonesoldier!

I especially appreciate your recall of "simpler" open faced riding. In the past year I have actually cut down the arsenal of bikes, finding the FZ fulfils both the most pedestrian of roles as well as the need for speed rip 0-100 and back again.

I bought hook line sinker into reliving the "good ole days", and filled the garage with 2-strokes, and this weird Piaggio MP5.

1972 RD250 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Ying and Yang RD400/MP3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

05-17-08_1801 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Ive kept one of those 2 strokes and smoke er up on occasion, but they are labor intensive to say the least. The Piaggio became a gift to my Dad recently as Im content with the FZ for now.

I think the FZ is a great bike, it is certainly tops of the standard category IMHO offering nimble steering and a "supressed" powerplant, good looks and that Yamaha dependability. I think of my FZ as an "oil change only" bike, in that barring any unforseen circumstance it should perfrom as designed for years to come.

The next in will be an XS for some sort of bobber/chopper project.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you hungry enough for a better riding experience in some specific category that in the next year or two you would purchase an addition motorcycle? Consider money to be an object, but not enough of one to make this a reckless or impossible decision.

Great thread lonesoldier!

I especially appreciate your recall of "simpler" open faced riding. In the past year I have actually cut down the arsenal of bikes, finding the FZ fulfils both the most pedestrian of roles as well as the need for speed rip 0-100 and back again.

I bought hook line sinker into reliving the "good ole days", and filled the garage with 2-strokes, and this weird Piaggio MP5.

1972 RD250 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Ying and Yang RD400/MP3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

05-17-08_1801 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Ive kept one of those 2 strokes and smoke er up on occasion, but they are labor intensive to say the least. The Piaggio became a gift to my Dad recently as Im content with the FZ for now.

I think the FZ is a great bike, it is certainly tops of the standard category IMHO offering nimble steering and a "supressed" powerplant, good looks and that Yamaha dependability. I think of my FZ as an "oil change only" bike, in that barring any unforseen circumstance it should perfrom as designed for years to come.

The next in will be an XS for some sort of bobber/chopper project.

That RD400 looks great!

hazy

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't say FZ6 is the right motorcycle for me but nothing beat it in term of value for money.I really hope there is a little more torque down there since most of my riding is done on city area.

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to ride my naked FZ6 for commuting but due to the heavy and slow traffic I was using just a pretty small fraction of it and just burning gas and squaring up the tires, so I couple of months ago I bought a small 125cc Chinese bike locally assembled. I am totally happy with it, is just what I need for commuting and it almost works by the smell by passing near a gas station :D:D

here it is

aktfredy-bta-02-12.jpg

So now the FZ6 is used just for some spirited rides on weekends and for touring, amazing for both.

However as the time passes I am liking more and more the idea of a dual sport for those rides involving off road sections, my plan is to be buying one in about 1 or two years after I pay some annoying debts.

My candidates are these two

Suzuki DR650, assembled locally by Suzuki Motor de Colombia S.A

dr650se_mine_big.jpg

and this gorgeous Yamaha XT660R, assembled locally by Incolmotos Yamaha

yamaha-xt-660-r-con-6500km.jpg

imagen5111950472eg6.jpg

Shawn

Reaction score
Visit site
I love my FZ6 and I think it is the right bike for me. I would probably go up to an FJR if I started to do more touring. I would love to own an Enduro likely a BMW but I'm too short to ride most of them. So until either my riding type changes or I grow I will be sticking with my FZ. One more option would be to buy multiple bikes but alias my money tree just does not seem to be producing as much as I want.

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 has been a great bike to get back into riding. I like the sit up configuration along with power options and the handling and console. The FZ6 is like having two bikes in one. The easy touring or commuter bike or the high end track/racing bike. I rarely go over 8k on RPM just riding the streets but it's nice to know the extra power is there if needed. I have seen the argument that a true sport bike would have high torque with lower RPM that could be more utilized within the limits of the street. I guess there are different perceptions of how quickly one needs to get to speed with how little the required RPM.

I'll have better feedback once I get on the track this spring as I can not afford a speeding ticket so I have to keep the beast tame.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
there's always something new to see and something i'll want. but all i have to do is stop looking and start riding. i've taken a bit of a break from all motorcycle sites over the last few months and it's amazing how little i want another bike. at some point i'll get something else. but that'll be because the fz6 needs to much money sunk into it to keep it safe. until then, i plan to run it into the ground.

the only thing that "changes" that is if in a few years my daughter decides she wants a dirt bike. i might get one to ride with her. but i wouldn't trade in the fz6 for a dual-sport. i'd just add to what i have.

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't trade the fz6 for a dual sport either, I am completely in love with my FZ6

I really want to add to the team the dual sport but the fz6 will stay with me

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I know what you mean about the Royal Enfield. All of the trick suspensions, electronics, and horsepower can't duplicate the magic of a machine that just feels right put -puttering along at less than break-neck speeds. The old British twins, even the smaller Jap twins were great. I always liked a thumper bike like the old Yamaha 500 single. There's just a magic about some bikes that speed or looks cannot compete with. I had a Honda 350 years ago and I loved that bike. It was beautiful and it would do 106 mph one-up or doubling. (That was the listed top speed for that bike as well) V-twins just do NOT do it for me....never did. Give me a big single, a vertical twin, or a smooooooth inline four anytime!!! I bought my son a Ninja 250R and that is the coolest little bike. It is SO MUCH FUN to ride, (though top speed with his big dad on it is 97 mph - that's more than plenty for this bike) It's just a cool little bike that is fun to ride and gets crazy gas mileage.
I DO know what you are saying. I used to have a Suzuki dirt bike. It wasn't perfect, far from it, but it was a blast to ride. I always looked forward to tearing up dirt on it although it was woefully underpowered - it was a blast to ride.
The Fazer is the best all-around bike for me that I have ever seen/owned/ridden to date. I love it like life itself. Safe riding!

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't imagine ever selling the fizzer, until she's a rolling heap I can't afford to fix anymore. She's paid for, reliable, quick enough, and I have almost everything modded to my liking... givi bags, corbin, bar risers. I'd love to add a Bonneville with a sidecar (family vehicle), and a small dual-sport for short rides / winter commuting... but I wouldn't sell this girl off. It makes no sense.

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Every motorcycle is the best until you test ride the next one. That has been my experience so far from FZ6 -> Buell 1125, Buell XB12R -> FZ1. All are great motorcycle until you decide to upgrade.

All of those that are saying that FZ6 is the best one will come back after a few months and say how their new ride is better. I was on that boat and have learned that there will always be a better motorcycle until you find the one that does it all - likes of FZ1, Sprint ST, Ninja 1000.

Last edited:

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
I've only ridden the FZ6.

I keep wanting to add to my garage, get some sort of cruiser (really haven't done any shopping on that), but every time I think about spending the money on one of those I think about how many ways I could more intelligently spend it.

msfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
Even though I love my FZ6, I do not own the right motorcycle.

I'm considering replace it for a big trail bike, such as Suzuki's V-Strom or BMW's F800GS. But the german bike costs around US$30 K here in Brazil, while Suzuki's costs around US$17, US$18 K.

KTM's, Aprillias, Ducatis... they are all great bikes... but here in Brazil there's not a significant representation of those manufacturers, so you won't find replacement parts easily... Japanese bikes are easier to maintain.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Every motorcycle is the best until you test ride the next one. That has been my experience so far from FZ6 -> Buell 1125, Buell XB12R -> FZ1. All are great motorcycle until you decide to upgrade.

All of those that are saying that FZ6 is the best one will come back after a few months and say how their new ride is better. I was on that boat and have learned that there will always be a better motorcycle until you find the one that does it all - likes of FZ1, Sprint ST, Ninja 1000.

That's true.....for tarmac.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After reading the majority of these posts, here's my opinion of it....
I rode a 97 yz250 for 7 years...until I fried the clutch in my tacoma 4x4. That was my first and only (so far) dirtbike, like the girl you lost your cherry to, I didnt want to let her go...but to provide for my family, I had to get to work, bike got sold.:( Fast forward 6 years..daughter, work transfer, divorce.... I started to think about bikes again. Now I had the opportunity to get one. My girlfriend is all about bikes too, so I picked up my FZ. Same thing, first street bike. Do I want to ever let her go? Hell no, but if life takes a different direction, I will. Its a material object and Im enjoying every minute of it. I guess with the military background I have it gave me that mentality, please forgive me.:bow: My point is....Enjoy your FZ while you have it! Even if you are a beginner rider or a salty dog of street riding, in time you will grow and gain more experience which may lead to a different bike. After not being able to ride for 2 weeks.....I realized how much I love my bike. And that's all I got to say about thaaaat.
Joe:thumbup:

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Motojoe, that is some good insight. It's easy and sometimes a pitfall to become emotionally involved with a material object like a car or motorcycle. I still morn the losing of a 65 Pontiac Lemans convertible. I think with a motorcycle it’s more about going down the road on a bike then actually owning the bike brand. Maybe because I’ve never owned a bike that was really flashy or was considered special. I had a 1983 Suzuki 550 in-line 4 that was a nice bike and worked well for me but it was just a bike. After having my Fz6 for about 8 months I can comprehend some of the short falls of having a detuned 600cc racing engine compared to a liter bike, but for me at my age it’s been a great bike to get back on the road and does everything I need.