Do you miss this on your bike and have you ever had one...

Kick start bike

• Total voters

FZ6biker

Reaction score
Visit site
All my years growing up I had a bike with a kick start and no ignition switch button start. I always wanted the luxury(yes the luxury) of a button start bike. Now that I have own one I kinda miss that good ole kick start.
My Fav was the RD350 The ROyal Enfiels had a nasty back kick if u did nit do it right.

I am curious how many of you have owned and used a kick start bike and how do you feel about owning a kick start bike?

So lets make this a poll question.

Look for the Royal Enfield famous kickback in this video :D Aptly titled 'The Art of the start' It was really an art to start the Enfield on a cold morning or a rainy day lol

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UdP0K2dm5k]YouTube - Royal Enfield Bullet - The Art of the Start[/ame]

Last edited:
Lmao found this on You tube its funny :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-QzBLkm1uw]YouTube - best kickstarting clips part2[/ame]

I think it's kinda fun to do. My XR50 was a one kick starter, tried my buddies CRF 450 and it took me a few tries. I recently picked up a 77 Goldwing and it has the ability to kick start but I don't have the lever. :(

Don't miss that "technology" at all. It was fine for my RD and RZ but on thumpers and twins is plain sucked.

Never, ever again will I own a 4 stroke with-out a happy button and fuel injection. Nope. Not going to happen. I've spent waaaaay too much time trying to re-fire one of the beasts out in the woods after a fall or just a flame out. In fact, I'm jonesin' now for a new KTM 300 XCW 2 stroke with e-start!

How's that for the epitome of laziness????? ;)

Bruce

Been there, done that. Give me the lazy button and a good strong battery any day!

My dad's old hot rod sportster is a kick start, though he fitted an electric start to it after his knees went out.

My Suzuki 50 was the only bike I had with a kick start, as you can imagine starting a 50cc 2 stroke was easy.

Kick started some others though, my brother in law's XT 500, a YZ465 and various other off road bikes. The XT had a nasty kickback if you touched the throttle while starting it.

You do know what KTM stands for? Kick Ten Minutes :)

My bikes built in the past 20 years or so were electric start only. All the others were kick or kick/electric. Toughest one I ever had to start was my BSA 441 Victor. It was a thumper that would hurt you in a heartbeat when trying to start it.

I wish my Honda (lawn mower) had a kick start, instead of a pull cord... :rolleyes:

Saw a running Matag lawnmower built in the 30's, it had a kick starter on the 2 cycle motor.

My 87 XT350 has a kick starter, sucks compared to the button.

Sometimes the good ole days were not that good.

Last edited:
Back