Do you drive differently?

shamrocker

Reaction score
joshisingreenville.blogspot.com
I've been riding quite a bit lately and noticed that I am starting to drive like I ride. For example, tonight I was approaching a big curve and looked down at my tach. I was driving at 4000 rpm. My car redlines at 6000 and I normally drive around 2500. I just thought that it was funny, since I've been pushing the bike higher and higher as I get more comfy with the engine. Anyone else notice that you drive a liitle differently after you get off of your FZ6?

I see a lot more of what goes on around me when I am in the car/truck now! Even though I am in a cage, I have started driving like I am exposed, over all a good thing I think. :thumbup:

I always get antsy in my car because I can't cut between cars and pass slow drivers like I can on the bike. It's irritating to be stuck in a cage.

I noticed a long time ago that I'm much more of a defensive driver due to riding a bike. I'm more aware of what's going on around me, my use of mirrors, everything.

I too am much more tuned into dangerous situations. This happened today while in my cage: I saw a car trying to get out of a parking lot down the street on the right, but his view towards me was blocked by a line of parked cars on the curb. I was in the right hand lane. Had I been on a motorcycle, I would have move over one lane to the right, slowed down, and honked a couple of times. In a cage, I tend to just continue on with a feeling of "if I was on a motorcycle I'd have to worry about this but now I'll just largely ignore it, with a worst case result being a fender bender."

I also find a drive less aggressively. Roads that I used to consider fun to drive a car aggressively on are just ho-hum compared to riding the same road.

Sometimes I try to do outside-inside-outside in the small remaining margin to move around in my lane in a turn too.

Not at all. I drive at 2 to 3 thousand revs trying to keep it low and economical, while the Fazer has to rev and I'm trying to use the engine in the torque/power range. Without looking at the rev counter I'm getting my ears accustomed to the sound of trying to get it to 12000rpm but changing before the rev limiter. :rockon:

I'll be worried if I open the door and hang my ass out over the edge and try to drag a knee on a diminishing radius curve! :eek: :D

I'm pretty cautious on the bike so I would have to say no. I have noticed that I need to readjust to the clutch in each of them when I switch.

I noticed a long time ago that I'm much more of a defensive driver due to riding a bike. I'm more aware of what's going on around me, my use of mirrors, everything.

Yeah, I agree with that, too. I also slow down before entering curves with my car. :Flash:

I like to think that motorcycle riders should stand out as safe motorists. I mean, when I got done with the MSF course a couple years ago, I was so proud of how safely I was riding compared to the cages on the road.

I see more, that comes from practicing the vision drills, and I just mainly sit and think cars suck, cars are cages, the cold sucks, I really wish I was on the bike, why is this car such a pain in the butt, 2 wheels good, 4 wheels bad and so on.

Yes, I do drive differently, and that's a good thing. I'm using (practicing) skills like better use of vision, picking lines, thinking through curves, SIPDE, etc. It makes for safer driving of the family van, and keeps me a bit sharper for the riding season. Not only natural, but I think it's beneficial when you're back on the bike.

The only downside is waving at bikes from a minivan....they just don't understand...

My normal riding is at whatever gear i am in i stay in that gear and hole the Rpm's at 6-7K and just cruise along.

In the car, I habitually move to one side of the lane and then cross back over to the other so I can go over train tracks in a straight line. I also do all my braking before a turn and accelerate midway through.

Whenever I'm driving the company vehicle, I have to keep reminding myself that the right lane is available.

When i first started riding, i did not own a car...did drive occasionally, but it wac not for another 5 years, that i got my own car...so i think i drive like i ride! Well, quite a few people have commented to this effect, anyway.

I am definitely more aware on the road in my car, as a result of being an "invisible" road user on my bike for 25 years!

:thumbup:

Yeah, I agree with that, too. I also slow down before entering curves with my car. :Flash:

I like to think that motorcycle riders should stand out as safe motorists. I mean, when I got done with the MSF course a couple years ago, I was so proud of how safely I was riding compared to the cages on the road.

Good point - I think in the car people get to feeling too protected and do stupid things. I worry more about what other people in their cars are doing than my own abilities on the bike.

I'll be worried if I open the door and hang my ass out over the edge and try to drag a knee on a diminishing radius curve! :eek: :D

I ride the bike a a lot these days and hardly drive my Jeep. I find I have to catch myself because I keep thinking I can lean the Jeep into the turns. :eek:

Well.....If I get really good with the Jeep I might be able to.....

I've noticed that, without the wind blowing around me, the exhaust resonating in my helmet, and the grin on my face, I tend to drive slower, but with the same alertness (looking far ahead, braking early, etc). I find that I get more frustrated in stop and go traffic though. Then again, having air conditioning and listening to music seems to offset the frustration somewhat.

I've noticed that I pay so much attention to the cars, pedestrians, crosswalks, and intersections that I don't notice red lights as much.

Back