Do you consider yourself a cager?

Do you consider yourself a Cager when you are behind the wheel?

• Yes. I'm viewed as a cager to all motorcyclist even though I ride too!

Votes: 28 44.4%
  • No. I' don't consider myself a cager because I ride too!

Votes: 35 55.6%

• Total voters

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When you are driving your car or truck, do you categorize yourself as a cager when seen by another motorcyclist, even though you ride yourself. Your driving can be viewed motorcycle friendly, but does that motorcylist know that? No, so I consider myself a full blown cager when I find myself driving the golf cart, and on occasion, the company truck or van.

Last edited:

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
Could someone define cager for me?

I understand a cage is a car, but does cager have a negative connotation?

I consider myself a driver (hence the screename) because I am an exceptional driver. I am not such a good rider yet, because I have no experience. However, I always leave bikes a lot more room in front of me then I do cars. I do not pull out in front of bikes, even though I would a car in the same situation. Get what I am saying? So I ask you, sir: do you consider me a cager?

clunk

Apprentice
Reaction score
Visit site
Motorcyclists have no way to tell that you're looking out for them, so I consider myself just another cager. It also doesn't seem to help when I move over closer to them to give them a thumbs up :thumbup: ...

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know that when another rider on a bike sees me when I am in my truck, I am just a cager. They might see my reflective yamaha stickers on the back of my truck, but that doesn't probably mean much to them.

They may notice, however, that I am curtious to them and am aware of them. At stop signs, I often let bikes go before me. I always consider myself a rider, but, I doubt that when I am in a cage riders see me as such.

Maybe I could just wear my helmet when driving, and hang my arm out the window to wave at every bike. But then people would just think I am weird...

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I consider myself a driver (hence the screename) because I am an exceptional driver. I am not such a good rider yet, because I have no experience. However, I always leave bikes a lot more room in front of me then I do cars. I do not pull out in front of bikes, even though I would a car in the same situation. Get what I am saying? So I ask you, sir: do you consider me a cager?

That would be a Yes!

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site

You're contradicting yourself here....you can't be a good driver in a "cage" when you encounter motorcycles, but not when you encounter cars. You should be driving with the same consideration towards ALL other users of the road.
How do you know that you're an "exceptional driver"? I've been driving for...oh...40-odd years, but I still wouldn't classify myself as an "exceptional" driver. I'm good...very good...but not exceptional.
My understanding of the term "cager" is that it describes a person who drives a car completely oblivious of anything that is going on outside of their immediate line of vision or "zone". They don't shoulder-check, mirror-check or use flashers. They think they're watching TV instead of looking through a windshield.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got back from Las Vegas yesterday....the only thing I would drive in that city would be a frickin' tank! Those cabdrivers are a scary bunch.
I guess I'm always gonna be viewed as a cager because I'm a woman & apparently there aren't a lot of us according to 'J's' gender poll!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Motorcyclists have no way to tell that you're looking out for them, so I consider myself just another cager. It also doesn't seem to help when I move over closer to them to give them a thumbs up :thumbup: ...

Agreed! Well said...

Bryan

Reaction score
Visit site
Come spring time I always look out for bikes when in my cage. Although I have been taken back a few times in surprise by a bike. So I know by experience that when in a cage, your sight is limited by those posts that are in each corner.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got back from Las Vegas yesterday....the only thing I would drive in that city would be a frickin' tank! Those cabdrivers are a scary bunch.
I guess I'm always gonna be viewed as a cager because I'm a woman & apparently there aren't a lot of us according to 'J's' gender poll!

Now you know what kind of obstacles I have to deal with. Don't forget the tourist who are trying to drive and gawk at the sites, and the folks who had a few drinks, which is available 24/7. But I still love it here even if it may kill me some day.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
OMG NO!!!

I never drive unless I absolutely HAVE to. And when I do, I hate it, unless I am on vacation somewhere out of LA... Don`t take me wrong, I enjoy driving a good car, I just hate traffic and "cagers" that have no clue what they`re doing.

Riding is still >>>>>>> than driving, anyday.

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
You're contradicting yourself here....you can't be a good driver in a "cage" when you encounter motorcycles, but not when you encounter cars. You should be driving with the same consideration towards ALL other users of the road.
How do you know that you're an "exceptional driver"? I've been driving for...oh...40-odd years, but I still wouldn't classify myself as an "exceptional" driver. I'm good...very good...but not exceptional.
My understanding of the term "cager" is that it describes a person who drives a car completely oblivious of anything that is going on outside of their immediate line of vision or "zone". They don't shoulder-check, mirror-check or use flashers. They think they're watching TV instead of looking through a windshield.

I do not feel like getting into some trivial argument with you. I was just trying to better understand the term "cager". But I will defend my post if I am forced, so:

I pay extreme attention to everything around me at all times when driving. Sometimes, I make questionable moves in my car because I know how to control it and I know what the other driver will do 95% of the time. Nothing crazy (like when I was younger), but I do not always feel like sitting behind some retard too busy sending text messages on his phone or what-have-you. So I put myself (and idiot driver) at risk for a split-second to get around or whatever. Like I said, nothing crazy. But the fact remains someone could make sudden lane change without checking mirrors or whatever. However, when someone is on a bike I would rather sit in traffic all day because I do not feel like putting them at serious risk. In a car in city traffic in a fender bender, you bump around and stuff gets crumpled up. The same wreck on a bike could kill you if you get bumped into a tree or oncomming traffic. Even if it is a mild wreck on a bike it is still pretty serious.

W

wrightme43

I have a giant Yamaha sticker on the back of my camper shell, and a start dating motorcyclist sticker, and UTMC sticker as well. They better wave. LOL I am always a motorcyclist. I see motorcycles. I watch them, I give them clear signals of my intentions, and let them ride in peace. Unlike this asshat I passed today that swerved over at me, in a passing zone while he was doing 40 in a 55 in a big dodge truck. Isnt that attempted murder? The ones that just run you over because they arent paying attention are just manslaughter but if you swerve over to try and hit someone for no earthly reason?

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hate to be too literal but I would check yes to both questions you asked. I do not consider myself a cager when I'm driving. In my mind, I am a rider by mindset no matter whether I'm in a cage or on my bike. I leave more room ahead of me than cagers and I am very aware of what's going on around me. I don't use a cell phone while driving and I always use my indicator when changing lanes.

On the other hand, I think that I'm viewed by other cyclists as just another cager when I'm driving. For safety, I assume that no one in a car is paying attention to their surroundings and if other cyclists do too then that means that I'm viewed as a cager.

Trncaba

Reaction score
Visit site

a cager too.. having said that I watch out for Bikes and try to just be a good driver. Hard here in Slovakia as most drivers are a little crazy!
T

H

HavBlue

Yup, I'm a cager. Maybe I should get a sticker for the back window that says "biker friendly cager."

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
I hate to be too literal but I would check yes to both questions you asked. I do not consider myself a cager when I'm driving. In my mind, I am a rider by mindset no matter whether I'm in a cage or on my bike. I leave more room ahead of me than cagers and I am very aware of what's going on around me. I don't use a cell phone while driving and I always use my indicator when changing lanes.

On the other hand, I think that I'm viewed by other cyclists as just another cager when I'm driving. For safety, I assume that no one in a car is paying attention to their surroundings and if other cyclists do too then that means that I'm viewed as a cager.

Thats exactly how I feel. While I may think of myself as a rider, others just see me as another cage. Add my gender into the mix, and I am just another woman in a cage. Girls don't ride, so why would there be any inkling of an idea that I ride? I am courteous to everyone around me though. I am never in enough of a rush to put anyone at risk, bikes, other cages, myself, etc.