Do you actually stop at stop signs?

Well....do you really stop at stop signs

• Yes...full stop, foot down all the time!

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The speedo reads 0 but still rolling on through

Votes: 77 67.0%
  • Slow down, downshift to 2nd or 3rd

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Stop signs..what are they?...do they apply to me??

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you actually stop at stop signs in your neigborhood (when there is little or no traffic)?

I noticed that when there is no traffic, I do slow down, but don't acually stop at the 4 stop signs on my way out in the morning unless there are cars or people around. Just wondering if I'm alone here...

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

If stop is defined as a full wheel stop with a foot down then no. Fact is, I can't remember the last time I actually stopped at the end of our street but then again that could be part of living in a rural area.

mfox23

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to be honest, in my neighborhood when there is light or no traffic, I very rarely stop if like said, a stop is defined as full stop with feet down. I do slow and check to make sure its clear but i only completely stop when someone is in front of me or someone is at the stop sign of a cross street. Guess its not the safest thing in the world but when no ones on the road thats what happens...

thatguyx

Reaction score
Visit site
on the bike it's either foot down or speed reads zero. in the cage it's full stop, and half a second wait. i just get annoyed when i see people run stop signs or do a rolling stop, so i just do it and hope they catch on. last thing i want is someone to run a stop sign or do a rolling stop and then end up in front of me, cage or bike.

J

jsteinb95

On a bike, yes.......in a car, no...("california stop")....I DO make sure that there are no other vehicles before I proceed. :D

W

wrightme43

It depends. If I have a clear sight line, and there is no traffic I dont. If I am not able to see, or its in town, or somewhere I need to stop. Its a right foot brake, left foot touches the ground, and roll on. I dont do the dangerous cruising up to stop that I intend to run, and only braking if it would cause a accident not to.

For example in my neighborhood. The stop sign on my road, I can see the whole road from start to the next stop sign. If there are no cars visable for the 10 secs it takes to get there, and the whole slowing for the turn, I see no reason to stop. It would be different if I couldnt see that it is totally empty. Its a no risk obvious you either need to stop or you dont situation.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
In the UK we have two types of junction, 'Give Way' & 'Stop'.

At a give way traffic on the crossing carriage way has priority. But as long as the way is clear you are not obliged to come to a stop.

A stop sign is a mandatory instruction. In a car that means the wheels have to cease rotation.

Whether you are required to put a foot down on a bike is unclear, I assume it depends on your balance. I couldn't come to a full stop & not put a foot down without falling off :Sport:

vokal389

Reaction score
Visit site
I dont technically "stop" I "Pause" which is how they explained it to us in MSF. You dont really have to put a fut down but slow down to about 2 mph and if its clear go for it. I really only full stop with foot down if there is someone in cross traffic or someone in front of me.

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
being a cyclist ....I can easily do a full stop and not ever put a foot down.

on the bicycle I can "track stand" through most traffic lights with no problem

it is funny just standing still for a full minute or longer...gets some pretty intersting looks:Sport:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do the track stand thing too, I got a ticket once for "not" stopping because the cop didn't see my foot go down.

I was able to get that charge thrown out, but it was a PITA!

So I usually stop all the way now, but I will track stand it from time to time.

H

HavBlue

I do the track stand thing too, I got a ticket once for "not" stopping because the cop didn't see my foot go down.

This is interesting. When I lived in California cops would tell you a foot must go down but this was wrong as represented by the CVC. There was never any mention of a rider needing to put a foot down, only that the wheels of the vehicle needed to fully stop.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I obviously stop if there is traffic coming, but if i can clearly see that nothing is coming and i have no way of getting hit then i roll right through.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In the UK we have two types of junction, 'Give Way' & 'Stop'.

At a give way traffic on the crossing carriage way has priority. But as long as the way is clear you are not obliged to come to a stop.

A stop sign is a mandatory instruction. In a car that means the wheels have to cease rotation.

Whether you are required to put a foot down on a bike is unclear, I assume it depends on your balance. I couldn't come to a full stop & not put a foot down without falling off :Sport:
Especially after your weekend lol.

As mentioned by Phil I comply to the traffic laws Breaking what can seem even mundane traffic laws in the UK can result in a fixed penalty. 3 points on your liscence and a fine. Not worth the trouble for the sake of a few seconds IMO.