Differences between 2005 and a 2008 FZ6

abynormal

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

I do realize that not everybody can compare an 2005 with a 2008 FZ6. Whe have both, I have the 2005 while my wife drives the 2008.

Now, I already posted it before, her 2008 feels hotter while driving then mine.
I have only the top fairing while the S2 has the full fairing on it...
Today I have driving hers just to compare the handling between the 2 bikes - see other topic.
My wife complains that her bike really feels hot. Especially she complains from a lot of heat comming from the exhaust on the RH side.
I do confirm that her bike feels like a hot potato while mine feels ok.
Temperature wise the bike seems running normal, today its been running between 82 and 89°c with an outside temperature of 28-29°c.
After long drives on a hot day its no longer comfortable to drive her bike...
What are you experiences with S2's?

Further comparing the 2005 with the 2008, the clutch from the 2008 is a lot more directly/abrupt. The clutch from the 2005 has a lot more feel.
The result is that the gear changes at low revs are more violent. Again the 2005 feels more refined here...

Then as a last...the engine from the 2008 feels more alive and puls better and more linear from low revs than the 2005. This one struggles a bit and does not feel so pleasant...

The 2005 has 12OOOkm on the clock while the S2 has 23000km on the clock.

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't really contribute here as I've only driven a 2008, but I think it would be interesting to hear the tales; specifically of the seat temperatures. :O

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
The two bikes are basically the same. The 08 has better brakes, improved fuel injection mapping, better swing arm and a three way catalytic converter. Other changes are just cosmetic.

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
I have no idea why so many people think that the FZ6 seat gets especially hot?
Mine definitely gets toasty, it's not unbearable but it's definitely a lot hotter than my buddy's vstar. Edit: I haven't ridden others, but I doubt it's any hotter than a CBR or similar undertail exhaust.

Last edited:

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine definitely gets toasty, it's not unbearable but it's definitely a lot hotter than my buddy's vstar.

Hmm I must admit I never rode with the standard "cardboard" seat - when I bought my bike the previous owner had installed the seat mentioned in signature. Get another seat :D

abynormal

Reaction score
Visit site
Whe both have seats from Bagster with silicon gel pads installed into them.
Its no imagination here, the seat from the S2 is a lot hotter than on the 2005.
Whe can easily compare both bikes side by side after a long ride...

About the seat temperature, as the S2 has an improved fuel injection system with an oxygen sensor installed in the exhaust I can imagine that it will run on a better controlled fuel air mixture, maybe run a bit leaner. And as whe all know, a lean mixture wil burn hotter - and give a hotter exhaust! Thats the only explanation I have for it...

With the better mapping that may explain why the S2 feels better on the throttle...!

Brakes, hmmm, my front brake on the 2005 feels more agrresive than the front brakes of the S2.

Any experience on the clutch? I have seen a tread here where they change the braket from the clutch cable on the engine of the S2...will go and look up that tread to find more info...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think anyone that rides with full leathers hardly notices the heat from the side on the later bikes. My 08 pours out some heat but boots and leathers and its not an issue.

So how does she ride: does she tend to lug it about or allow it free rev. Lugging about in too high of gear will make it hot too.

Lubing the clutch cable every 3 months will make a huge difference too. It will pull easier and give it more feel as it has better control.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I have lower fairings on my 06. For a while I rode without them and noticed a heat decrease. After putting them back on, I do get a lot of heat from the right side at times. I believe this is from the radiator rather then the exhaust as it seems to come and go. If I tilt my knee out a bit and get some air to my inner thigh all is well in the world again. I just try not keep my knee against the tank on hot days as cooler days it's pretty unnoticeable.

abynormal

Reaction score
Visit site
Clutch cable has been lubed, it has been one of the first things I did on here bike. I am a mechanic in my daily life so keeping the bikes into good condition is normal for me.
About lugging into a to high gear. Well I do feel the same heat and I dont drive her bike different than mine.

Fact is that her seat is very warm (hot) on the RH fwd side near the exhaust.
Compared to my 2005, the S2 feels a lot warmer overal.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Clutch cable has been lubed, it has been one of the first things I did on here bike. I am a mechanic in my daily life so keeping the bikes into good condition is normal for me.
About lugging into a to high gear. Well I do feel the same heat and I dont drive her bike different than mine.

Fact is that her seat is very warm (hot) on the RH fwd side near the exhaust.
Compared to my 2005, the S2 feels a lot warmer overal.

This stuff here will fix your heat problems and looks good to I.M.O. .. as a mechanic i'm sure you have used or seen it before... :rockon: :rockon:

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
This stuff here will fix your heat problems and looks good to I.M.O. .. as a mechanic i'm sure you have used or seen it before... :rockon: :rockon:

Ceramic powder coating looks better and is better for the pipes!:thumbup: It is a bit pricier though.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ceramic powder coating looks better and is better for the pipes!:thumbup: It is a bit pricier though.
opinions vary on the heat wrap.... I like and so does she! LOL yes there is a motorcycle in the pic.... :BLAA: :rockon: :rockon:

bikerboyg

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there from Holland,

I also can say that on my 2008 S2 model its pretty hot unther my seat with also normal temperature like yours:(

So I think its a pretty hot bike to drive:rockon:

B.t.w. I am very cool on the bike:BLAA:

abynormal

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there from Holland,

I also can say that on my 2008 S2 model its pretty hot unther my seat with also normal temperature like yours:(

So I think its a pretty hot bike to drive:rockon:

B.t.w. I am very cool on the bike:BLAA:

I had the idea of converting my 2005 into an S2 with full fairing, you can find complete fairings including headlight etc on the net for aceptable prices but if this will make my 2005 into a hot bike I will drop the project.
Sitting on a hot patato in summer is not my idea of having fun during a bike trip.
Yes I can wrap the exhaust but overall the bike is a lot hotter than mine...

KmofugginD

Reaction score
Visit site
How about color on the two bikes you are comparing?

Also in regards to the different cat on the two bikes...
Catalytic converters burn super hot to "clean" the exhaust before it exits the pipe, perhaps they moved the cat on the right pipe to a position without as much air circulation/closer to the rider? Or the newer cat burns hotter?