Damn You Yamaha!!

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Kind of want.

Where's the FJR800? Knock off 100 pounds and $6k or so, and I'd be all over that.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I keep telling myself to hold out for a crossplane fz1 but I'm not sure if its ever gonna happen...

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice bike :drool:, it's just too much more expensive than the fz6 :eek:

Kind of want.

Where's the FJR800? Knock off 100 pounds and $6k or so, and I'd be all over that.

Over here I think the FZ8 GT pretty much covers that part of the market, ABS/lower fairing/touring windscreen/heated grips/luggage, it's also on special offer at the moment :thumbup:.

I keep telling myself to hold out for a crossplane fz1 but I'm not sure if its ever gonna happen...

Well yamaha presented a crossplane 750 at the Intermot in cologne, but it was a triple (R1 engine with a cylinder chopped off)

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion, they didn't change the bike THAT much for 2013. Motor and trans (still 5sp) have not changed. Electronic cruise is a very welcome option for sure, but I'd rather save $6-7k and get a lightly used 07. :don'tknow:

TSRBrad

Reaction score
Visit site
Kind of want.

This is something that no one seems to want to build (or at least import into the US)... a sub-liter ST machine that's athletic, comfortable and equipped for long-haul travel and affordable right out of the crate. There just ain't much out there fitting that description. Probably the closest is Honda's NT700 but it's way underpowered and way overpriced.

Believe me, the internal debate I've been having with myself about what I really want and what I'm willing to pay for it has been going on for quite some time. Like I said, I'd made peace with the idea of hanging on to my current bike. I've more or less completed my to-do list on it so that it fits me and let's me do what I want and go where I want... almost.

The FJR has really been the only bike on my "I Want" list. No doubt a lot of money (understatement :jawdrop: ) but from what I can see Yamaha has made some significant improvements to this machine that may finally push me over the edge ... and word is that they've done it with only a very modest price bump ($300 over the 2012 model). I've looked at just about everything else out there and I keep coming back to the FJR.

The FZ6 will be put to bed for the season soon enough but it's never too soon to start thinking about next year. :sinister:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Brad, you should keep an eye on the FJR forum. The Central FJR Owners (CFO) have a meet in LaCrosse in September every year. I was there a few years back, some really fun riding in those parts. May have a big National gathering there next fall, keep your eyes on it.
There is some really great FJR owners around the twin cities who can lend some advise when needed.
I had 90,000 miles on my 04 when the deer killed it last month. I enjoyed every mile on it!

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion, they didn't change the bike THAT much for 2013. Motor and trans (still 5sp) have not changed. Electronic cruise is a very welcome option for sure, but I'd rather save $6-7k and get a lightly used 07. :don'tknow:

Since the start of this year, at demo days, I have ridden the FJR, Kawasaki C14 and the BMW K1600GTL. I was hoping that Yamaha would, to quote the salesman at my local dealer, "launch a bike that would put Yamaha back at the front of the Sport Touring market". As far as I can see they haven't done it. All they have done is hang a whole heap of electronics on what is essentially a 2002 bike.

If you use the comparison tool on the Yamaha website the only difference between the 2012 and 2013 FJRs is the price. Now the new bike is only $300 more than the old bike, so that's not too bad, but come on Yamaha. Where's the 1400 crossplane engine, 6 speed gearbox, electronic suspension, remote key........

Signed

Disappointed of Texas :( :( :(

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Since the start of this year, at demo days, I have ridden the FJR, Kawasaki C14 and the BMW K1600GTL. I was hoping that Yamaha would, to quote the salesman at my local dealer, "launch a bike that would put Yamaha back at the front of the Sport Touring market". As far as I can see they haven't done it. All they have done is hang a whole heap of electronics on what is essentially a 2002 bike.

If you use the comparison tool on the Yamaha website the only difference between the 2012 and 2013 FJRs is the price. Now the new bike is only $300 more than the old bike, so that's not too bad, but come on Yamaha. Where's the 1400 crossplane engine, 6 speed gearbox, electronic suspension, remote key........

Signed

Disappointed of Texas :( :( :(

Exactly! If I was about to spend ~15k on a new sport tourer right now, I'd give Triumph Trophy a very close look.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
This is something that no one seems to want to build (or at least import into the US)... a sub-liter ST machine that's athletic, comfortable and equipped for long-haul travel and affordable right out of the crate. There just ain't much out there fitting that description. Probably the closest is Honda's NT700 but it's way underpowered and way overpriced.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love an FJR1300, but I don't want to spend that money, I don't want a bike that heavy, and I don't need that power enough to justify getting the same mileage I'd get in a commuter car. :p Then again, I'm biased, because fuel economy makes riding a self-subsidizing hobby for me. I love to ride, but if I'm getting 30mpg instead of 50mpg, especially if I just spent car money on my bike, it's not getting me any other benefit.

Throw a couple well-designed hard bags, a fairing, and a couple cool touring features at an FZ8, and I'd consider paying ~$8-10k for it.

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
...Over here I think the FZ8 GT pretty much covers that part of the market, ABS/lower fairing/touring windscreen/heated grips/luggage, it's also on special offer at the moment :thumbup:...

If only I could read, great pics though

Last edited:

CowtownBiomed

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still surprized that they havent upped the power yet.
For example my 2006, (BMW) still has about 30HP more than their 2012.

We have a meetup member who bought one, (FJ) brand new this year, and after one group ride, he took it back..
He bought a used 2010 K1300S (for about 1/2 the price of the FJ) and now I chase him..sigh..
He sure is happy guy now though..

I guess I should take one for a test ride, so I can make a comparison myself..

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
OMG:eek: that FZ8GT is GORGEOUS!:jawdrop: :drool:
I wonder If we can make my bike look just like that? hmmmmm :D

TSRBrad

Reaction score
Visit site
OMG:eek: that FZ8GT is GORGEOUS!:jawdrop: :drool:
I wonder If we can make my bike look just like that? hmmmmm :D

IMG_20120514_115621.jpg