Custom integrated tail light, member made!

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, even though I haven't completed my degree yet, it's time to put it to work. After spending months looking at eBay and being disappointed with the options, I've decided to make a board to be inserted into the tail light to replace the incandescent bulb with a battery of LEDs and incorporate the turn signals.

My plan is to develop a board with 24 high intensity red LEDs and 20 high intensity green LEDs. The purpose of the green ones is so that the turn signals will appear amber or yellow when shone through the red lens. Naturally, it will function as a running light and a brake light.

The reason I chose to make my own is because I think the clear lenses that come with the eBay jobbers is just a little flashy and a bit ricey for my taste.

Anyhow, I'm letting you guys know because I'm testing the waters to see if there is any interest from fellow members in this project/product. Currently, I'm estimating the price will be about $50, but might go down if production were increased. This is because the places I've found to produce the board either require a 12" x 12" sheet or charge by the square inch. Currently I'm considering the latter, but the former will be more cost-effective as the demand is increased.

Below are some proof of concept photos, showing that a green light will appear amber. Keep in mind, the LEDs I used are 1/100th the intensity of the bulbs I'll be using, it's just what I had available...

View attachment 16585

View attachment 16586

Please let me know if you are interested. I'll still make one for myself, but it would be nice to produce a few.

The boards will be high quality and probably weather proofed. I'm trained to perform class 3 solders (space-going quality connections) so there's no need to worry about craftsmanship.

Thanks all!

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with you about the clear tail light but a lot of members don't. If you could work on a product that allows easy production of either you may reach a wider audience.

I think most people will be like me and although interested will want to see a finished product.

BTW good luck I think it is a great idea!!

08-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I would love to see some pics or possibly a video of the final product. I have also been looking for an integrated system and havent been real happy with the results. Keep us posted.

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
A clear lens version would just require replacing the geen LEDs with yellow or amber, no biggie. Anyone with a clear lens could just tell me.

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool project :thumbup:

Personally, I am not a fan of integrated lights, clear or otherwise, because I have trouble finding them on the bike if I am tailing one. They just don't draw attention to them like separate turn signals would. Maybe it's the quality of the LED's they use or the brightness of them. They look fine in the dark, but I have trouble noticing such turn signals during the day.

Anyways, good luck with your project and I would definitely like to see your results :thumbup:

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Personally, I am not a fan of integrated lights, clear or otherwise, because I have trouble finding them on the bike if I am tailing one. They just don't draw attention to them like separate turn signals would. Maybe it's the quality of the LED's they use or the brightness of them. They look fine in the dark, but I have trouble noticing such turn signals during the day.

Agreed, but they look so cool at night, I decided to give it a go. I will definitely recommend leaving the stalk turn signals in place.

genesis

Reaction score
Visit site
I have always liked the look of the integrated tail lights, but haven't found any i like the look of... What your planing sounds really good. I would definitely need to see video or pics of a finished product.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool project :thumbup:

Anyways, good luck with your project and I would definitely like to see your results :thumbup:

Understand what your saying thats why I also have the factory signals as well!:thumbup:
DSC_0066.jpg

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
how are you planning on setting it up. i have one (came on my bike) and i don't really like the setup. it has the red and yellow led running top to bottom - alternating rows. it really makes the turn signals pretty worthless in my opinion. and the hazards are pointless with this setup. i can't commit to buying anything right now, but if you worked out a better setup than i have i would be tempted to try yours out.

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
how are you planning on setting it up. i have one (came on my bike) and i don't really like the setup. it has the red and yellow led running top to bottom - alternating rows. it really makes the turn signals pretty worthless in my opinion. and the hazards are pointless with this setup. i can't commit to buying anything right now, but if you worked out a better setup than i have i would be tempted to try yours out.

Instead of the alternating rows, it'll be like a checkerboard pattern with a solid row of red in the middle

R G R G R R R G R G R
G R G R G R G R G R G

That way the lighting will be a little more even. I ordered the LEDs today, should get here in about a week (thank you snail-mail :( ) And I'll be etching a prototype board this weekend when I can find the time. Once I get a working test board I'll post pictures and video.

Keep the questions/comments coming. There have been concerns raised that I haven't thought about and have improved the design.

FZ6biker

Reaction score
Visit site
I just spent the $$ on one off eBay. It works great though. I did remove the stock bulky lights and install smaller Led signals to go with the integrated lights as I wasn't fully convinced with the integrated signals just by themselves.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
I just spent the $$ on one off eBay. It works great though. I did remove the stock bulky lights and install smaller Led signals to go with the integrated lights as I wasn't fully convinced with the integrated signals just by themselves.

what little led signals did you get? i'd like to get some little ones but all the ones i like look like they'd have long "stalks".

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd want a simpler (and a bit cheaper) version that was just all red LEDs. Then It could be used with a clear or smoke cover and would draw a lot less power than the stock bulb and hopefully be brighter. What do you think about doing second, simpler option too? I assume you'd just be selling the board with LEDs etc that we can fit into our stock housing yes?

Cheers

ClarkFZ6

Reaction score
www.sdmf.com
I bought the clear rear led light cluster without the turn signals in. I think its too unsafe to have the turn signals squeezed into the rear light. Kudos for your work though dude!

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd want a simpler (and a bit cheaper) version that was just all red LEDs. Then It could be used with a clear or smoke cover and would draw a lot less power than the stock bulb and hopefully be brighter. What do you think about doing second, simpler option too? I assume you'd just be selling the board with LEDs etc that we can fit into our stock housing yes?

Cheers

That's a possibility. I'm not sure it will be much cheaper to have an all red lamp because the red and greed LEDs cost the same. It will just require a couple of jumpers to connect the circuitry. I'll probably end up making these to order, as far as what option/lens the buyer would like/is using.

The final product will just be a board that will get placed in the tail light housing, most likely in front of the reflector for the bulb. Attached (depending on the version) will be 3 or 5 wires (running light, brake light, left and right turn signal, and ground) that will go through a grommet to fill the hole left by the bulb.

I'm not completely sure about the final placement of the board within the housing or how it bill be attached. I need to get one built and play with how it will fit.

Keep 'em coming, this has been really helpful, developmentally. :thumbup:

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
I really like the look of hte clear taillight, and have no interest in the turnsignal being included in it.

About how much are you guys finding the clear taillight lenses for?