Curse you, oil filter!

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
Easy fix to your problem. I have one of those oil filter cap wrenches the one that fits over the filter. I had one heck of a time getting the filter off it just kept slipping, so I took a 5/16 inch self drilling screw and drilled it through the cap and filter. Then just backed the filter off with out any oil comming from the filter. The next time I had to change the oil I just used the same hole with a self drilling screw and the filter just back off with out a hitch. Good luck. :cheer:

Doc

truth.

self tapping screw a filter wrench onto the filter and your good to go

sanguines

Reaction score
Visit site
truth.

self tapping screw a filter wrench onto the filter and your good to go

Wait, you mean drill the screw through the wrench into what's left of the filter?

It seems like if I did that, it would just destroy the filter more when I tried to turn it. Maybe I'm just not understanding.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wait, you mean drill the screw through the wrench into what's left of the filter?

It seems like if I did that, it would just destroy the filter more when I tried to turn it. Maybe I'm just not understanding.

I think these guys may not be understanding that you have almost no filter left.

Do you feel confident proceeding without damaging your block where the gasket seals or the threads that the filter threads onto? If not, see if you can talk a local m/c mechanic into coming over to your house to give it a shot, or truck your bike into a shop.

If you do feel confident, it seems like gently trying to break the seal free and/or gain purchase on what's left of the filter to unscrew it is your way to go. If it were me, I would tap a notch into the outer edge of the filter with a screwdriver and a hammer. Then using that notch I would put the screwdriver at a 45 degree angle to the filter and tap counterclockwise with a hammer to nudge it free. You probably have a good amount of crimped metal left on the filter housing to do this without damaging the block. Just make sure when making your notch that you don't punch through the remainder of the filter and gouge your block.

Last edited:

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
I think these guys may not be understanding that you have almost no filter left.

Do you feel confident proceeding without damaging your block where the gasket seals or the threads that the filter threads onto? If not, see if you can talk a local m/c mechanic into coming over to your house to give it a shot, or truck your bike into a shop.

If you do feel confident, it seems like gently trying to break the seal free and/or gain purchase on what's left of the filter to unscrew it is your way to go. If it were me, I would tap a notch into the outer edge of the filter with a screwdriver and a hammer. Then using that notch I would put the screwdriver at a 45 degree angle to the filter and tap counterclockwise with a hammer to nudge it free. You probably have a good amount of crimped metal left on the filter housing to do this without damaging the block. Just make sure when making your notch that you don't punch through the remainder of the filter and gouge your block.

That is exactly what I would try based on the pictures. Or it may be time to make a tool. those holes in the filter base...how deep are they? If they are deep enough, you could get a cheap flat wrench like used for fan clutches on cars...its called a fan clutch wrench...or you could buy a piece of flat bar and get a round piece of steel and weld it to the flatbar so you have like a sign with a small face and a long post. (think stop sign)

You then could buy roundbar of the appropriate diameter and weld as many of them on the round part you welded to the flatbar as there are holes in the oil filter base. Cut each round bar "stud" to the right length as not to go in so far that it could gouge the block mating surface.

This idea is totally dependent on how deep those holes are on the oil filter base.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is exactly what I would try based on the pictures. Or it may be time to make a tool. those holes in the filter base...how deep are they?

I was just thinking the same thing. Make a tool, (2 poles that are joined together across the top) that will fit into the small holes around the filter base, (eg, one at 12 o'clock and one at 6 o'clock), then you could get a bar in-between the two "poles" and twist it off. Just don't go through the holes too far, the engine is in there...lol

:rockon:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With the same idea in mind, pick up a 4-5" bolt (preferably hardened, approx 1/4").

Cut off the head and bend both ends in a vise 90 degrees. Of course both bend ends would need to fit in the filter holes.

Keep the bent ends as short as possible (so those don't bend).

Insert the bolt in the remaining oil filter and grab the new tool with a large, good pair of vise grips. It should twist out.

You can also pry whats left of that filter steel out, use a large pair of vise grips and grab as close as possible to the base. I would tap/strike the vise grip counterclockwise (loosen) to break the grip..

sanguines

Reaction score
Visit site
So how did it go sanguines? I'm curious to know how this turned out. All is well I hope.

Unfortunately the bike is still sitting in the garage, busted. I've been working on it when I get a chance, trying to use a hammer and screwdriver to carefully tap it loose, but no luck so far. Frustrating. I don't have very many tools so I haven't been able to try some of the other suggestions. Fan clutch wrenches are pricey, too.

Last edited:

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about that. I tell ya, at this point, I'd get it to a dealer and let them deal with it (I'd first call to see if they know they can get it off). It could be better for your sanity and time.

I hope things work out.

Dennis

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Whatever the biggest flat ended rod you have that will fit in one of the smaller round holes in the filter base...... insert that into the edge of the hole at the '3 O'Clock' position, and tap that 'up' with a hammer. I'd go so far as to use a flat bladed screw driver..... but there would be risk of gouging the block internal to that if the blade tip is too far inside the filter.

A punch would work pretty well.

If you had to, you could also make a rod with a pin in the end (90° to the length of the shaft) that would fit in that hole.... that would allow a 'flatter' angle on the shaft, so you would be less likely to touch the block.

impactpoint.jpg

Last edited:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately the bike is still sitting in the garage, busted. I've been working on it when I get a chance, trying to use a hammer and screwdriver to carefully tap it loose, but no luck so far. Frustrating. I don't have very many tools so I haven't been able to try some of the other suggestions. Fan clutch wrenches are pricey, too.

MAN that is one messed up filter. First off let me ask if are doing the righty tighty, lefty loosie thing? Just want to make sure your turning it the correct way. I won't even list all the dumb things I have done.

Second, if it still won't budge. Perhaps I could help. I am only 35 minutes from you and if you have a way to haul it up here we could try together in my garage. Send me a pm if your can get up here, I am 12 minutes off I 80 in Colfax.

Or bite the bullet and take it over to Roseville Yamaha, they are a good dealership. Good luck!

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Epic oil filter thread!!!

It always amazes me how the two most "lubricated" items (oil filter and oil drain plug) are always the most difficult to get off!?!?!? Doesn't make any sense....