Coolant Leak

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well over the summer I had to top off the coolant bottle a few times. I could never find a source of a leak, until a week ago. I was out sweeping my garage (raining out) and noticed a drop of coolant under my bike. Upon closer inspection I noticed coolant running out of the spark plug well drain hole. I pulled out the plug wire, the one furthest from the cam drives, and it was covered in coolant. So a trip to the dealer. Their conclusion is basically a porous casting. :eek: I asked if this has happened before. Their response was simply "no". So now I am waiting for a new head to come from Japan, should be here next week.:( At least the riding season is basically over.:thumbup:

They have pulled the head off. The headgasket is below the spark plug wells, so that was ruled out. I thought it may have been a crack, but they (the dealer) thinks there is just a spot right by the coolant passage that is porous. A new head has been ordered, but Yamaha does not stock actual engine castings, so I may have to wait awhile to get one.

I have been here for awhile, and I can only think of one other instance where there was a defect. I can't remember who it was, but it was something to do with the valvetrain. I will look for it tonight.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a dealer that knows what he's doing. Keep us informed on the progress.

Hey, while they have the head off, have them install a set of cams, valve springs and head gasket from an 04 R6 and see if it it improves peak HP...:rockon::rockon:

Well I got the bike back today and everything seems good. I must give props to my dealer! After hearing many horror stories about dealer techs, I can say that mine did an outstanding job. I can not even tell the engine was out and taken apart. No scratches or scuffs on anything, not even a greasy fingerprint!:D:cheer: I braved 38F temps today and put 30 miles on and no issues. So my bike is back in the garage and will soon be covered for winter.

I found a cool leak...had my bike serviced and the shop didn't snap the lid on tight, most had spilled out. Lucky I had checked everything right after I got home.

Glad to hear they are covering everything. I had a bad experience where they didnt tell me until the job was done i owed 30 dollars for some small parts they needed but werent covered. Small amount but not telling about this really aggrivated me.

I had some warranty work done on a 4-wheeler, not the fz.....she is runnin just as good as the day i bought her.:thumbup:

Back