Coolant Leak

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well over the summer I had to top off the coolant bottle a few times. I could never find a source of a leak, until a week ago. I was out sweeping my garage (raining out) and noticed a drop of coolant under my bike. Upon closer inspection I noticed coolant running out of the spark plug well drain hole. I pulled out the plug wire, the one furthest from the cam drives, and it was covered in coolant. So a trip to the dealer. Their conclusion is basically a porous casting. :eek: I asked if this has happened before. Their response was simply "no". So now I am waiting for a new head to come from Japan, should be here next week.:( At least the riding season is basically over.:thumbup:

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They have pulled the head off. The headgasket is below the spark plug wells, so that was ruled out. I thought it may have been a crack, but they (the dealer) thinks there is just a spot right by the coolant passage that is porous. A new head has been ordered, but Yamaha does not stock actual engine castings, so I may have to wait awhile to get one.

I have been here for awhile, and I can only think of one other instance where there was a defect. I can't remember who it was, but it was something to do with the valvetrain. I will look for it tonight.

Last edited:

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you have a dealer that knows what he's doing. Keep us informed on the progress.

Hey, while they have the head off, have them install a set of cams, valve springs and head gasket from an 04 R6 and see if it it improves peak HP...:rockon::rockon:

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I got the bike back today and everything seems good. I must give props to my dealer! After hearing many horror stories about dealer techs, I can say that mine did an outstanding job. I can not even tell the engine was out and taken apart. No scratches or scuffs on anything, not even a greasy fingerprint!:D:cheer: I braved 38F temps today and put 30 miles on and no issues. So my bike is back in the garage and will soon be covered for winter.

buzzard breath

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I found a cool leak...had my bike serviced and the shop didn't snap the lid on tight, most had spilled out. Lucky I had checked everything right after I got home.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear they are covering everything. I had a bad experience where they didnt tell me until the job was done i owed 30 dollars for some small parts they needed but werent covered. Small amount but not telling about this really aggrivated me.

I had some warranty work done on a 4-wheeler, not the fz.....she is runnin just as good as the day i bought her.:thumbup: