clutch out... give it gas... hear a click.

Snipza[USMC]

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, whenever I let my clutch out and give the bike gas I can hear a click. I know that the clutch is engaging... but it's more of a jolt type of click than anything else. I release the clutch slower and give the gas slower and the click still occurs. Is it supposed to click in such a manner? If not, how might I fix it?

Snipza

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No, it shouldn't click.....

Maybe have someone with good hearing stand very close by and try to narrow down the location. Are there many miles on the bike? Has the clutch cable been lubed up at well as the plastic sleeve and steel cylinder in the end of the clutch lever? Sounds like you may have something binding slightly there..

If your chain needs servicing badly you may have some links locking up then popping loose as you proceed forward...(clean and lube as well)...

Scott

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Snipza[USMC];261360 said:
Okay, whenever I let my clutch out and give the bike gas I can hear a click. I know that the clutch is engaging... but it's more of a jolt type of click than anything else. I release the clutch slower and give the gas slower and the click still occurs. Is it supposed to click in such a manner? If not, how might I fix it?

Snipza
Hmm, my bike developed a similar symptom over the past 10 days;

- when I take off in 1st, I hear a single click that occurs only during the first few meters/yards of riding

Went to the garage this morning;

- tried revving in neutral, nothing
- revving in 1st while bike on the centre stand and releasing the clutch like I'm taking off, nothing, couldn't provoke it
- removed the front sprocket cover and checked, nothing
- chain and sprocket OEM with 8k kilometers/~5k miles on them
- oil Motul 7100 10W40, changed less than 2k kilometers/1.2k miles ago

It seems like this only happens when the engine is under load on normal take off, when I take off slowly (like puttering about in heavy traffic) it doesn't happen.

This weekend I'm meeting up with some riding buddies so I'll have one of them listen to try to determine where the sound is coming from.

Basically just posting 'cause I'm hoping someone had a similar problem

EDIT;
*when I say "take off" - I mean normal every day take off from a traffic light, no speeding or racing. English is not my first language, and to me taking off seems like it would mean as racing but I don't know a better phrase for it :)

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Something that comes to mind on this is if it's not drive line related it may be engine to frame movement. Check all the frame to engine bolts. Also check for movement in the triple. There may be movement and the bearing may need service/replacement. It could also be swing arm bearings.

[MENTION=8166]Snipza[USMC][/MENTION] Are you at Miramar or Pendleton? I'm near Miramar.
[MENTION=27950]bricksrheavy[/MENTION] Your English is good!

Last edited:

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Something that comes to mind on this is if it's not drive line related it may be engine to frame movement. Check all the frame to engine bolts. Also check for movement in the triple. There may be movement and the bearing may need service/replacement. It could also be swing arm bearings.

+1 on Cliff's response.
I heard a click for months, rolling on throttle and when braking. Thought it was the steering head bearings, turned out to be my frame slider bolts were loose.
Slight engine to frame movement. Check your frame bolts.

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply guys, will check tomorrow and report back. Steering bearings were replaced last year, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for something as simple as lose engine mounts (Occam's razor, don't let me down! :) )

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hope you figure it out. Mine makes clicky noises on acceleration and I've just given up on finding out why.

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Update;

Went and checked the mounting bolts this morning, and sure enough, the rear bottom one (the one next to the oil filter, that goes all the way thru to the other side of the bike) was loose a good 1-1.25 turns out.
Tightened it, checked the others just to make sure, went to work and back and I'm happy to report the dreaded click is gone!

I had removed that bolt a couple of weeks ago 'cause I needed to take the Givi roll bar off, and obviously haven't tightened it properly ('though I would have sworn I did) - or the bastard went loose on it's own so I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the help everyone! :thumbup: :thumbup:
That is the condition of your counter-shaft sprocket? If it's severely worn, and the chain is lose, you will get clicking.
Are you referring to the front sprocket? - good to know clicking is one of the symptoms of a worn one :thumbup: