Clutch in RPMs drop and engine dies

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Sudden throttle cut off seems to be the cause....but why?

Bike is a 2008 like you all found out, it has just over 3000 miles on it.

Idles above the 1k mark, since its not digital I cant tell you exactly what its at(unless there is a way I am not aware of). I would say its at 1200 RPM when its warm. Should i bump it up ?

Altitude is 4300 FT so just shy of 1500 m? But goes up to 5500+ if I am in the mountains riding. However it happens consistantly at 4300. Doesnt the ECU adjust automatically for elevation?

I have never disconnected the battery.

I just assumed :rolleyes: the kickstand switch was not the cause, It only dies when i play with the throttle. I could get out my multimeter and test the resistance. however i dont feel this is the cause since I can make it shut off with throttle and if I dont let the RPMs dive quickly I have no problems. How can I properly test this so I can eliminate this variable?

The engine doesnt sputter shake cough or do anything like that. The RPM gauge simply drops hits idle and turns off. Like I used the kill switch.

I was curious yesterday(probably annoyed the neighbors too) and kept reving it to try and find a consitant pattern. I was in neutral and it idles fine. If I kept the RPMs under 4k I could raise them and cut the throttle fast and no issues. When I revd the engine and it went above 4k and I cut out the throttle imediately it would die when it hits idle.

Q? Will it idle in low gear under load I.e. traveling at idle speed or does it just die throwing you over the bars? Do you by chance run an oiled air filter and did you ever run the Techron black bottle through it?

I am not sure i fully understand the question. The bike will drive fine in 1st at any speed. If i down shift properly and slow down with the gears I have no problem. Like I stated above if the RPMS are less than 4000-4500 and I let off the throttle I dont have any issues. its when I cut off the throttle suddenly, for a unexpected quick stop I have problems. Normally i always try to downshift throw the gears when stopping and that keeps it from dying.

It has the stock air filter I believe, its on my todo list to check that and change the oil. My buddy scoped out the filter when i bought it since I barely knew anything about bike maintenance at the time.

I have no problem checking my kill switches, but since I can kill the engine consistantly with the throttle how I described above I am having a hard time believing its my kill switches. But what do I know :confused:

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Missed some questions, everyone is awesome for your willingness to help me out!! Thanks!

Unless your getting some pinging/knocking, put regular fuel in it, Premium burns slower(prevents pinging/knocking), the manual calls for regular which burns "normally"(probably not the correct wording Randy).

ANY OTHER MOD'S, changes, etc?

Again, some Seafoam or techtron can't hurt..

No mods other than some new levers.

I never ran the techron through it since the issue went away last year. At the end of the season I did add some fuel stabilizer.

Bike needs some gas, I will put regular in it today. did not realize it burned slower, I figured premium wouldnt hurt and the cost was marginal. I will grab a bottle of the black techron too while I am there and add that as well.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd check the TPS on the diagnostic menu anyway, it's possible there's a fault, and it would cause the symptoms you describe. Easy enough to check, I had it happen to me once but then it went away, but I saw the tps readout values go down to 0, when it should have been 18 or so.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd check the TPS on the diagnostic menu anyway, it's possible there's a fault, and it would cause the symptoms you describe. Easy enough to check, I had it happen to me once but then it went away, but I saw the tps readout values go down to 0, when it should have been 18 or so.

+1 on the above.

Here's a link to help:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...ou-experiencing-poor-idle-mileage-stalls.html

The main thing you need to watch for is not only the upper and lower #'s, but that ALL THE #'S inbetween don't skip or are missing. Being slightly higher or lower than spec's won't hurt anything...

I have my idle set at 1,000 even and don't have any issues. Even thou you don't have a digital tach (nor do I) make sure its just about (when warm) 1,300 RPM's until the matter is straightened out.

It sounds like a fuel delivery issue to me, perhaps the injectors are partially clogged, etc. As posted above, run some Techtron or Seafoam, (I'd run it a bit on the heavy side).

Don't be afraid to run it hard and let it engine brake hard (maybe to 12,000 RPM's and let the engine slow down the bike) to suck the fresh fuel and cleaner all thru the system (as the problem is when the RPM's come down.)

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds good, Ill start with the techron(since I need gas on the way home) and then try to check the TPS if i have some time this evening for that. Thanks for the suggestions.

Anyone a Office Space fan? its a movie and every time someone says TPS all i can think about are TPS reports. :thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here are some additional thoughts;

Do one or the OTHER but NOT BOTH at the SAME TIME:
ONE) Bump the idle to solid 1350 1400. Not to solve the problem but to gain information.
THE OTHER) Disconnect the battery.

Does it prevent the stall condition??

Run the injector cleaner through it as planned.
Check the TPS, note the fully closed value and let the throttle snap back 4 or 5 times and confirm it reports the same value.
Likewise, its seems likes it running lean. Inspect the air filter make sure no one moved in (unlikely). My bike runs great at all elevations so far. From the sea floor to 8000 feet there are No problems. But a heavily soiled or oily air filter can hurt instant idle condition as the air stops at the medium.

There is a possibility of a vacuum leak at the base of the TB's where they meet the rubber coupler. You'll need a 3 or 4mm ball end driver that's real long. Reach in and seat the 4 clamps firmly. They have positive stops so turn the cap until it stops. You can't see them in this picture but I suspect you may need to pull the air box to get at them. You could spray some carb cleaner or starting fluid at the base, if the idle speed changes you likely have an air leak and need to tighten the clamps.
picture.php

Just curious, how does it rev out? Does it pull smooth and strong through the whole RPM range?

Last items that came to mind;
Has it ever had a throttle body sync. If it has too much idle air it could cause this stalling. The thing is, it could run smooth and lean just enough to cause this. If it checks out OK, a C0 bump could be used to richen it a bit.

As for the idle in gear question. I can idle in 1st gear on mine it it does so just fine. It can get a bit of lurch on flat ground tho. Will yours?

Last edited:

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
After riding the bike I realized my idle numbers were a bit high. It was staying around 1000+- a little when it was nice n warm after my ride home. I apologize for the bad info earlier. I stalled once, when I clutched in after second gear and just breaked before a left turn with out engine breaking it died at idle.

TPS checked out fine 16 and 100 consistant 5 thanks for the link it worked great.

techron is in the tank with regular gas this go around.

Revs fine and seems to have good power with a smooth powerband. havent noticed a change since i got the bike.

I have not done a throttle bottle sync, I doubt the previous guy did either since it was so new when I bought.

Should I start with raising the idle since it was lower than I expected? Me thinks it will be happier if I raise it from everything you all have said. I will also check the airfilter, that makes sense at idle not much air could get through a dirty filter.\

As for the idle in gear question. I can idle in 1st gear on mine it it does so just fine. It can get a bit of lurch on flat ground tho. Will yours?

Like when I shift into first? Yes it grabs or lurches a bit and the wheel spins on the center stand when in first.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
After riding the bike I realized my idle numbers were a bit high. It was staying around 1000+- a little when it was nice n warm after my ride home. I apologize for the bad info earlier. I stalled once, when I clutched in after second gear and just breaked before a left turn with out engine breaking it died at idle.

TPS checked out fine 16 and 100 consistant 5 thanks for the link it worked great.

techron is in the tank with regular gas this go around.

Revs fine and seems to have good power with a smooth powerband. havent noticed a change since i got the bike.

I have not done a throttle bottle sync, I doubt the previous guy did either since it was so new when I bought.

Should I start with raising the idle since it was lower than I expected? Me thinks it will be happier if I raise it from everything you all have said. I will also check the airfilter, that makes sense at idle not much air could get through a dirty filter.\

Like when I shift into first? Yes it grabs or lurches a bit and the wheel spins on the center stand when in first.

You will likely solve this with a twist of the fingers.... There is a thumb screw on the left. Adjust to happy spot ~ 1300 1350 and see what comes of it.

I just meant to ride it in 1st gear at idle, clutch out, feet up, tires on the ground! :D

While cleaning the chain just now I took this. Its the base of the throttle bodies and could leak air if not tight. It is Not apparent, but you need a long enough driver to reach from the opposite side of bike because those are turned away. So figure real long, like 16" to do it from outside the frame. That's the Right side shown here.
picture.php

Far Right - is the Thumb Screw! Turn it Clockwise to increase Revs....
picture.php

Anyway - your goal should be to change one thing at a time until solved. However, this being a safety hazard, I may cut corners!!!
The idle speed is 1st up tho (it only takes a second)
then battery
then air leaks

Go annoy the neighbors! :rockon:

Last edited:

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Final, you rock! Id be a poor man with out this forum!

I will try to do the idle this weekend. Would rock if thats all it takes. But I will go from there.

I just meant to ride it in 1st gear at idle, clutch out, feet up, tires on the ground!

ahhh, I think it does. However i can easily test that on my way home today.

Have a good weekend!

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '06 that was doing the same thing and bringing the idle up to 1300 did the trick for me. It only seemed to be happening on hotter rides or longer rides. Id start there. Hasn't happened in the last 1k miles after adjusting the idle and it's been hotter than hell

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have my idle set (when warm) to 1350, as this makes changes a bit smoother.

I've run it there for nigh on 18 months, with never a problem.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also not able to see it in Windows 7 using IE.

"Bloody Hell"

Nelly

Something about your settings I suspect. Should work in i.e. with all the defaults for security. Laptop is running Win 7 64bit, i.e 10 (News to me, last patch took it from 9 to 10 :Flip:), but also I do most browsing using Opera as a default and its not under attack like so many other browsers like IE, Fire Fox. Also its not invasive to the OS like Chrome and IE.
Anywho, IE 9 and 10 display user data. Not sure what's up with your system.

PS - IE added the Flip by default. Another update gone wrong I suspect! lol J/K!

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Ran the techron in the tank and adjusted the idle up to 1300. Rode yesterday, for a about an hour and didnt seem to have any issues. However I was trying to improve my technique and get better at down shifting. I didnt try to force the issue, it was rainy and didnt want a stalled bike on top of slick roads. I will try to ride some more this week and test further, however my back is messed up:( so we will see on that.

roscohendrix

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike did the same thing at 3000 miles. It was the kill switch. Straight wire that sucker an asee if it don't solve your problems. Some guys helped me figure it out in a thread a couple months ago

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, I will def check that on the next round of things if the issue is not solved.

I need to ride it more and see. Fingers crossed!