Chainlube on tire :(

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
So, after a long ride a couple of days ago, I lubed the chain with Castrol Chainlube (see here Castrol Chainlube Grease | Canadian Tire). I was really careful not to get any of it on the tire or anywhere, and I think I did great in that respect.

Yesterday I wiped the chain with shop towels, and today I took the bike out for a ride. Guess what---the left side of the rear tire (the side closer to the chain) got all stained with that slippery chainlube :(

I'm a beginner, tell me what I'm doing wrong! I think it got on the tire shortly into the ride, because I remember now that the rear became slippery shortly after I left :(

Also, how can I effectively clean the tire now without damaging the rubber?

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I would use Simple Green, S100 or something like it - just make sure you totally wash it off. My preference would be S100 as that is what I use to clean my chain - seems like a great degreaser and cleaner. I use the Dupoint Teflon chain lube you can find at Lowes and WalMart. I guess it works pretty good - I'm not super consistent about lubing the chain and have 26,000 miles on the stock chain and sprockets. I have tried other chain lubes and don't like the way they ALWAYS fling stuff off.

My cleaning and lubing process is:

1. wash the bike then wash the chain using S100 and a chain brush.
2. Dry bike using cotton rags.
3. Ride the bike for 5 or 10 minutes - doesn't have to be fast.
4. Using the bottom of a cardboard box between the chain and tire as a shield, spray a section of the chain. Move the chain up and down to get excess off. Move chain and repeat until you have covered the whole chain twice.
5. Let the chain dry overnight (doesn't have to be that long it just seem like I always wind up lubing the chain at the end of the day).
6. Forget about it till next time.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
pretty much same process for the clean but I spray with a chain wax, every two weeks for the past couple of months and the chain has stayed pretty clean; there is lots of building work happening near me so the roads are really dirty with clay. I've been impressed. It doesn't fling off at all, and not much sticks to it. before I started with wax it was an oil based lube and eveything was black-chain and sprockets, and heaps of muck on the swingarm and the rim

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
pretty much same process for the clean but I spray with a chain wax, every two weeks for the past couple of months and the chain has stayed pretty clean; there is lots of building work happening near me so the roads are really dirty with clay. I've been impressed. It doesn't fling off at all, and not much sticks to it. before I started with wax it was an oil based lube and eveything was black-chain and sprockets, and heaps of muck on the swingarm and the rim

Not to knock your experiance at all :), I tried using Maxima chain wax on my old KLR a couple of years ago. I was not happy with it as the chain literally began to develope surface rust and kink. It also wore out and stretched in different spots badly wearing out prematurly.

I am very anal about the chain and bike in general and went back to a different chain lube. I think I'm going to try the Dupont as I've heard good things about it.. After spraying the chain, I wipe off any excess with paper towels and don't get ANY fling off on the wheels. There is usually a little bit inside the front sprocket cover after a month or so...

As for the S100, it works great, just rinse gently with water, don't power spray the chain with the hose...

Last edited:

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, just to give you a small update: I bought "Simple Green MAX" and sprayed the rear tire, the lightly scrubbed it with a dishwashing sponge, then rinsed off with the garden hose. Visibly the oil looked gone, so I took her for a ride. Didn't feel any slipping...but then again, I also didn't lean that much, so I don't know...

Oh, I also picked up some of that DuPont Teflon all purpose lube, cleaned the chain and lubed with that. Looks like it won't fling off like the previous lube, but we shall see (lubed after the ride).

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use maxima chain wax and have done so for a good 12 years, used it on my mx bikes, flat track quad, and my fz6. The key to chain wax is putting it on after you ride. The chain has to be hot and it will suck it right in. Book recommends applying once every 600 miles. I was putting it on too much and it ended up filling the cover over my front sprocket and dripped out and looked like oil....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use maxima chain wax and have done so for a good 12 years, used it on my mx bikes, flat track quad, and my fz6. The key to chain wax is putting it on after you ride. The chain has to be hot and it will suck it right in. Book recommends applying once every 600 miles. I was putting it on too much and it ended up filling the cover over my front sprocket and dripped out and looked like oil....

That could have been my problem then. If washing the bike, I blow it off and lube it. If just cleaning the chain and lubing, I do it cold... thanks.. :)

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
Use brake cleaner and wash it off after.
If you want to be 100% sure - u can use some sand paper on the rubber.
Tire is not porous and brake cleaner will take all the crap out.
Had it happened and not once - brake cleaner is the way to go!

Chupacabra

College Graduate??
Reaction score
Visit site
As mentioned before, Maxima Chain Wax or the DuPont Teflon spray works wonders, but you must clean the chain and its contaminants off prior to use. I use Motorex chain clean...very icky icky stuff, but it works. I brought my can with me on my roadtrip and my chain after cleaning looked spotless every single time.

Also it was mentioned to let your bike sit overnight after oiling, this is a great suggestion and allows the chemicals to seep in the innards of the chain.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
This is what I do: I use chain wax spray and apply it when the chain is hot. After my first ride, (following an application), I take an Armor All wipe and wipe off the side of the tire and the rim. (I use them too for wiping bugs off my faceshield and plastic parts without scratching!)