chain sling off

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
I touched on it on another thread, but thought I would start one just for it since that one died off.

I have a terrible problem with chain sling off. No problem cleaning it off, but the process does suck and I would like to find a better way so that I'm not always cleaning it off.

One poster mentioned having great success with PJ1 blue label, which is also what I use. Maybe my cleaning/lubing method needs work, here it is and tell me what you think:

I clean my chain using wd-40, rags, and toothbrush. I know there are differing views on using wd-40 to clean it, maybe thats my problem? Once good and clean, I take the bike for a short slow ride around the neighborhood (a few miles) on the clean, non-lubed chain to make sure the wd-40 is gone and to heat the chain up. When I get back, on a still warm chain, I apply the pj1 according to the label for two revolutions. Then I take a rag and wipe off any excess and let it soak in for a while before I take a short ride again. Usually, that first short ride after the lube yields little to no sling off. The next normal riding that I do, whether it be the next day or 2-3 days later I get sling off EVERYWHERE. :( :confused:

What am I doing wrong, what can I do better?

jbwaterman84

Born to ride
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the same stuff and always had sling, until this last time. I did my clean and lube as normal, on a warm chain. The one thing I did differently this time, was after applying the lube, I let the bike sit overnight and dry. Very little sling off this time. Might be something to try.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I have used this stuff since 1 mile on the bike and now at 18,xxx miles the chain and sprockets still look new! No sling off at all.

dupont_teflon_lube-400x400.jpg

I clean with Kerosene, then wipe with a rag, then apply WD-40 to clean off the residue loosened by the kerosene and after a rag dry off and a short ride on the WD-40 chain I apply the DuPont and let it air dry for a few hours before riding.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
I use Dupont chain saver. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon-Chain-Saver-Lubricant-CS0110101/dp/B003OBP63S"]Link[/ame] Never had an issue with it flinging off in my whole 1 year of riding so far :BLAA:

Brasscap

Reaction score
Visit site
I have used this stuff since 1 mile on the bike and now at 18,xxx miles the chain and sprockets still look new! No sling off at all.

I clean with Kerosene, then wipe with a rag, then apply WD-40 to clean off the residue loosened by the kerosene and after a rag dry off and a short ride on the WD-40 chain I apply the DuPont and let it air dry for a few hours before riding.

That's what I've been using for a few years and have no issues....great product!

nsaP

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a fan of the Dupont Teflon lube as well. I tried some different plant oil stuff this last time and it's a lot thinner. So much so that it was flinging off around the front sprocket and I thought I had an oil leak! It also coats my wheels. Black wheels are on my list for my next bike.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I use Honda with Moly. Thousands and thousands of miles, zero fling off. Dries non-tacky so does not collect dirt. Every once in a while I wipe off accumulated dirt and that's it! I repeat, with Moly, not the white lithium type. Only possible drawback is in wet conditions it does not last as long as the goopy stickier types. A good trade off for me.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ I think its your product that isn't meeting your expectations. Add to that: WD being solvent may be keeping it from bonding - thus it slings off!

This threads begs the argument - how good is WD?? If its lube, it also makes a good solvent. Here it is acting as both but is expected to fling off before applying the real stuff. haha!

I will add that Maxma Synthetic Chain Guard Flies off also. I'm now using Dupont Teflon Chain-Saver wax based chain lube from the yellow can. Its good for about 400 miles. After cleaning the chain, I apply it; run about 400 miles apply it again and then clean the chain @ 800 miles or so.

For cleaning I use Motorex Chain Clean Degreaser. Says its the oil of Switzerland! :ban:

Also used Silkolene Pro Chain as a lube but it attracts allot of dirt. Lasts about 500 miles does well in the rain.

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
I used ChainWaxx for 3 years with good results, my stock chain lasted 33k until I replaced it, also ChainWaxx had hardly any sling off. I now Use 1z Ultra Gel Spray Grease, it's awesome. It flings but it keeps the chain running smooth for twice as long as ChainWaxx did. I love it and will continue to buy it. Here's the Amazon link for a peek check out the reviews.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/einszett-960505-Ultra-Chain-Grease/dp/B001KXIHFG/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367961690&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=ulta+gel+spray+grease]einszett 960505 Ultra Gel Chain Grease - 10 fl. oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Dear Liquid Wrench Chain Lube,

I know we've been together for a year now, but things just aren't working out between us. Please know that it's not you... it's me. I've grown a lot since we first met and want to experiment with other lubes. I have my eye on some that aren't as flingy and clingy, ya know?

Don't cry... it's not like this is a break up. It's more of a break. I'll keep you around the garage for the old squeaky hinge. And who knows? Maybe if I'm out of the good stuff and desperate, I'll hit you up for a late night lubie call.

Please don't think I don't appreciate what we've been through together. I'll always remember the good times we've had.

Love,
pookie

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site

FYI - I was sold on this product after reading some reviews but alas, it has been discontinued.

See background here:

DuPont Motorcycle Chain Lubes for 2012 - webBikeWorld

And a direct review of the chain saver:

DuPont Teflon Chain Saver - DuPont Teflon Chain Lube - webBikeWorld

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
It isn't discontinued I just picked up a can at Lowes and they had plenty. Oh I see now that they changed the formula.

Last edited:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes my brief research tells me that it has been reformulated. It's basically the same stuff but now does not include the "dry, wax" portion on the can. This makes it less desirable. The DuPont chain saver product is supposedly the next best thing.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Dear Liquid Wrench Chain Lube,

I know we've been together for a year now, but things just aren't working out between us. Please know that it's not you... it's me. I've grown a lot since we first met and want to experiment with other lubes. I have my eye on some that aren't as flingy and clingy, ya know?

Don't cry... it's not like this is a break up. It's more of a break. I'll keep you around the garage for the old squeaky hinge. And who knows? Maybe if I'm out of the good stuff and desperate, I'll hit you up for a late night lubie call.

Please don't think I don't appreciate what we've been through together. I'll always remember the good times we've had.

Love,
pookie

Liquid Wrench chain lube is the absolute worst product (not just lube, pretty much anything that I can think of) that I have ever bought. It is terrible beyond words.

Bought a can in a pinch as I was out of lube on a trip. Used it twice and picked up a can of Chain Saver the second I found a Lowe's.

It drips everywhere, coats the chain in a sticky oil tar that in turn picks up sand and dirt, flings everywhere. Never seems to get semi-dry so it's always flinging and picking up junk. I feel terrible for the poor motel owners that were stuck trying to clean up the oil patch left by this crap.

I'm presently using Dupont Chain Saver, not as good as the old Multi-Use formula, but passable. If it wasn't so cheap and easily available, I'd probably switch to something else.

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
I've used chain wax and i now use DuPont chain saver exclusively. I have never used wd 40 to clean it. I usually use the DuPont degreaser to clean my chain. I have never experienced any sling off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies......went with the dupont teflon chain saver and definitely like it.

I spent much more time than normal cleaning my chain this time, and I believe that most of my issue wasn't the product, but the WD40. I paid great attention to detail while cleaning and even after painstaking efforts to dry my chain of all wd40, there was still at least some residue on the rings. By painstaking efforts I mean 2 hours of going over my chain with dry rags/short ride/dry rags/short ride/dry rags.......and I could still get something to wipe off on paper a paper towel. I'm sure there is no chain lube made that bonds to wd40.

I'm going to use kerosene or a dedicated chain cleaner on my girlfriends bike and give the pj1 blue label another try on hers to see how it does just for curiosity sake.....then probably switch her to the dupont as well.