CBR 1100xx clipon and CRG hindisght LS

mattcosta7

Reaction score
www.matthewcostabile.com
These babies showed up at my door Thursday night. I had to work Friday and Saturday, so I didn't have time to install until late last night!

They're much lower, and slightly more forward, at the front, but have alittle more pull back as well.

When I first picked up the bike, I compared riding positions to the r6 and fz6, and thought the fz's more upright feel would be more comfortable, and also easier to learn more on, as it is my first bike. After a few miles...2500+ moreso, I began to feel that the bar was actually alittle too high, and the riding position was alittle too relaxed.

Pros
It's much more responsive with the new bars, and I feel control up as well.
I feel more comfortable in the more aggressive stance, but I can see it being less so for extended rides.

Cons
The bars stop turning due to tank contact before full lock (not a huge issue, as most sportbikes hit full lock WELL before the fz comes close). It could be a pain in parking lots, but i'll deal with that...I don't often use them anyway.

As for the hindsight mirror, I think it provides a much more expansive field of view, than my previous mirrors did by far, due to its position outside the bar, and its convex lens. I don't like how I have to look down so far to see it though. I do notice, however, that it provides a much clearer view than the over the bar mirrors ever did, even at speed.

Pics:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

ttoften

Reaction score
Visit site
DUDE!!!
where the bloody hell did you get those from?!? I WANT!!!

I guess i have to add to my winter make over!! so plxx, whereeeee :D:spank:

mattcosta7

Reaction score
www.matthewcostabile.com
DUDE!!!
where the bloody hell did you get those from?!? I WANT!!!

I guess i have to add to my winter make over!! so plxx, whereeeee :D:spank:

I found mine on craigslist, and paid 45 to my door. They're on ebay sometimes...a set I lost right before finding these went for 76 dollars.

any 43 mm clipons will work, but you need the rise to properly clear the tank, AND I did have to put them over the triple, rather than under, which does lower the front about 3/4 inch Overall it feels much more like a supersport, in all aspects of steeting/seating/turnin and corner feel. I like it a good bit.

Now I need some of those fz6 cup panels, and this will be off the hook.

I took the left grip off super slowly, with a combo of a thin flat screwdriver and a can of compressed air, so I was able to reuse it without a problem.

The highsight retails around 85 and the barend adapter for it retails for 20, but I work for a dealership, so my cost is a little less.

Oh, and alittle more fiddling around has got me full lock, BARELY, since the grip is touching the tank.

I really want to find a new triple clamp now, as well as some nice new levers, black ASV C5s.

And some LSL crash pads...I know, I have put this off way too long.

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
looking good!!! how do you like the change in geometry? also looks like you are going to need some of Hellgate's custom triple tree!

mattcosta7

Reaction score
www.matthewcostabile.com
looking good!!! how do you like the change in geometry? also looks like you are going to need some of Hellgate's custom triple tree!

I would love to get my hands on one of those triples, but for the price, right now, it's not gonna happen...sadly. from the ride I took last night (very short due to rain), I like the riding position much better, but I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the drop in the front....I'm mixed with it actually. I think that once I get used to the feeling of the front half being alittle lower, i'll like it better. It's not a huge drop, but noticeable.

I just need a nice, sunny day where I can go for a ride and actually get a sense of the bars to give better feedback

Last edited:

cknatz

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a pair of CBR 1100xx clipons for my 08 FZ6!! Paid more then you 75 right to the door on EBAY. Cant wait. Will post pictures when i get them on.

Am i going to have any problems since i have the cowlings on the bike? Any solutions for the triple? Does a R6S triple work??

Well so much for waiting for a response. Called my local yamaha store and he said it would work. Just bought a 06 07 08 09 R6S Yamaha Upper Triple Clamp

Cost me 50 bucks; ebay.

Picture Attached. Its a perfect fit from reviewing it closely next to my bike. There goes that riser if you plan on doing the mod.

Total Cost with clip ons = $125

Pics to come.

Mods: Full cowlings, carbon fiber frame sliders & fender eliminator kit.

Last edited:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
The highsight retails around 85 and the barend adapter for it retails for 20, but I work for a dealership, so my cost is a little less.

EACH!! :) important detail hehe...

Also, while I agree that you don't need to worry about "full lock" during riding, it is quite dangerous to have the clipons hit your tank at full lock imo... just imagine what would happen to your hand in a crash if you don't let go on time. My recommendation: make a custom lock yourself by adding material to the frame (where the original locking takes place).

I rode Oso2k2's FZ, and it had that same setup... you're crazy if you think this makes the FZ more comfortable :) I did think it would be awesome for the track (a set of setback plates is a must though), but for the streets it is useless imho (makes a fun nibble commuter into a typical, not that nibble sportbike!). Just my opinion of course! :thumbup:

Either way it looks HOT!! :D

cknatz

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got my CBR 1100XX clip ons & R6S triple!!! :D

I will upload some pics when i get them on the bike. Thanks for all the help so far in this thread!

Last edited:

Extremity

Junior Mint
Reaction score
www.echoplaneonline.com
Just got my CBR 1100XX clip ons & R6S triple!!! :D

I will upload some pics when i get them on the bike. Thanks for all the help so far in this thread!

Do you have the link to the ebay seller with the triple? Was it just a random thing he had one of to sell? Where would I be able to find this?

The entire clipon thing is still confusing me, I see how I would have to push the front down to give them something to clamp to, I just don't see how I push it down. What tool do I need? It looks like I need like... a GIANT wrench or socket, and a GIANT allen key?