Can't ride yet but I own an FZ6!

cgies90

Reaction score
Visit site
After being around a lot of coworkers that are getting their bikes back out of the garage for the spring, I decided I want to learn this year. I signed up for a safety course and got my learner's permit, and decided to start scouring Craigslist for an upright 600. Found this blue '07 with 18K for an awesome price and picked it up the next day.

bykqfJz.jpg

j9gprM4.jpg

I had to have the coworker ride it back to work for me! Since then I've been practicing little by little and I think I'm about ready to get out on the road.

Looking forward to learning on this bike and being a part of the community. Any tips or advice about learning to ride, riding, safety, or just about the FZ6 is definitely appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to our awesome forum! Do your safety course. Get protective gear and don't ride past your experience. Most of all have a great time riding!:)

Sent from Moto's Motorola

LazrFazr

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome! I've owned mine for almost a week now. Just some tips...

1. Always look for a way out in case you need one.
2. Look more than you need to, front and back.
3. Ride knowing people don't look for you.
4. When riding down country roads, scan the ditches....dogs, animals
5. Relax but be alert.
6. Check tire pressure every other time you go out.
7. Use hand signals with your turn signals when you feel its appropriate. People actually see those more than the lights.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats and Welcome!

I couldn't ride before getting my '07, in blue, either! The owner rode it to my driveway.
I started riding in my residential area before taking my course, then finally started commuting and getting on the Interstate after the class. Just take her easy (she can be a handful) and what everyone else said above.
Might check the condition, and the age, of the tires; if they're squared off at all it's good to learn on newer, fully-round tires (safety gear first, if you don't have any). Keep us posted!

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mostly what LazrFazr said. I hadn't ridden for 30 years, but took the MSF safety course, and _then_ got a bike. I still go back and practice in that parking lot, doing some of the drills. The more you ride, the more comfortable you will be with the bike. Just don't drop the alertness.... go out with the attitude that you can't trust anyone, and that the road is a giant obstacle course and they are all out to get you. Seems extreme, but you want to keep your wits about you, and you dont' have that car-shell/body to protect you anymore. And enjoy the freedom and the wide-openness of it... even better than a Jeep with no top and no doors. Congrats!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
. Any tips or advice about learning to ride, riding, safety, or just about the FZ6 is definitely appreciated.

I know it's hard, but it's best for you and your bike and wait for you to complete your MSF. If you learn from your friends, even if they are seasoned riders, they me teach you bad habits. Don't worry, most of the students in your class will be in the same scenario as you. Riding actually is more mental than physical, it's all about making the correct decisions, before you get on your bike and while you're riding as well.

As Scott mentioned, make sure your bike is street legal. License plate doesn't appear to be visible either, rear reflector appears to be missing. Maybe your rear directional are incorporated into your brake light, if it's aftermarket. Wearing full gear is always a great idea when you're out riding. You will also learn about safety gear during your class. Get insurance for your bike, remember, most insurance companies will offer some sort of discount off your premium after a successful completion of your safety class so make sure you ask!

cgies90

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the great responses. I got a full face helmet, jacket, and gloves today and racked up about 30 miles on some low traffic suburban streets. It's still plenty scary and intimidating, but undoubtedly fun. Safety course is this weekend.

The bike has a plate and tag, they just weren't installed when I took the picture. The turn signals are integrated into the taillight, does that mean it's aftermarket? And the bike just passed inspection about a month ago but I want to make sure the bike is plenty visible. What are some good reflectors to check for and install if needed?

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on your bike! Good choice :rockon:

Yeah, definitely aftermarket integrated brake/turns.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For better visibility up front. search BD43 mod. It lights up your RS low beam headlight using the factory harness so you don't have the "one eyed, one bulb out" look.

For the rear, Hyperlights running/flashing brake lights(LED). Much brighter than stock, the flashing brake light super bright. I made a bracket to bolt with the license plate(out of aluminum) to attach the unit to (as you have the fender eliminator kit)...Much more light and a "back up" light should the OEM bulb blow.
Hyperlites Flashing LED Motorcycle brake lights, Running Lights and Turn Signal

Here's mine, just above the tag:

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the great responses. I got a full face helmet, jacket, and gloves today and racked up about 30 miles on some low traffic suburban streets. It's still plenty scary and intimidating, but undoubtedly fun. Safety course is this weekend.

The bike has a plate and tag, they just weren't installed when I took the picture. The turn signals are integrated into the taillight, does that mean it's aftermarket? And the bike just passed inspection about a month ago but I want to make sure the bike is plenty visible. What are some good reflectors to check for and install if needed?

Good start on the gear. I would strongly recommend armored pants or atleast Kevlar lined jeans. Also some good protective boots.

Dress for the slide not the ride. In the case of an unexpected off (if you don't think that happens just cruise the many posts of experienced riders going down on this forum - at no fault of their own) you want to be over protected not under.

I'm a mom. Sorry, forgive me. I just want us all to be safe, to be able to do what we all love - ride.