Buying a used 2007 FZ6 with 40k miles

dalco

Reaction score
Visit site
Assuming that "all is well" with this 2007 FZ6 with 40,000 miles, how much longer can I expect this engines to last, and how much should I pay for it (new tires, brake pads, excellent condition overall)? Thanks for your help!

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't pay more than about $2500 for an '07 with that kind of mileage. If it was maintained regularly then you should easily be able to get 50-100K miles out of the engine.

dalco

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. Is it obvious, then, that a 2008 with 5k miles for $4000 would be a better deal than a 2007 with 40k miles for $2200? (sorry, but I sold my K with 79k miles on it, so I don't know how things "hold" in the FZ6 world.)

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I have 38,000 miles on mine and it is running fine. Have had it since 2,800 miles and have taken good care of it with regular oil changes, good exercise (trips to the redline but only after it is warmed up). Don't know how many miles it has left but it is as strong as it has ever been. There is member on the board selling a 2007 with 8,700 for $2,800 which seems like a much better deal. Think it is in Knoxville, TN. Humm, get a friend to drive you to Knoxville, buy the bike, ride the Dragon on the way home.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. Is it obvious, then, that a 2008 with 5k miles for $4000 would be a better deal than a 2007 with 40k miles for $2200? (sorry, but I sold my K with 79k miles on it, so I don't know how things "hold" in the FZ6 world.)

I think it would just depend on the bike personally. I mean the 1 with 40k could be in great shape, commuter bike not pushed hard never dropped etc etc etc and then you could find one with 5k and it be some 19yr old 1st bike never saw the bottom side of 10k you'll just have to ask questions to the owners to get a idea of how the treated it.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
With the number of low mileage bikes out there for reasonable prices, I don't think I could buy one with 40k for cheap enough to make it worth it. When I can buy one with <10k for <$4k all day long, I'd have to get an absolute steal to buy one with 4x the miles.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i'd check what kind of service history it has, if it's every had problems. things replaced etc.

I'd also check if the valve clearances have ever been looked at

with age there's more potential for problems due to wear and tear, things like bearings, cam chain, etc

dalco

Reaction score
Visit site
Good points. I will definitely ask for the service history. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and advice.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
With the number of low mileage bikes out there for reasonable prices, I don't think I could buy one with 40k for cheap enough to make it worth it. When I can buy one with <10k for <$4k all day long, I'd have to get an absolute steal to buy one with 4x the miles.

I agree with this. There are FZ6's for sale in the greater Washington DC area every week with under 10K miles for $3,000-$3,500.

Don't just jump on the first one you see and don't be afraid to drive across state lines! It will be worth it! These bikes are a great bang for the buck and plenty of low mileage ones are around for cheap, especially with winter around the corner!

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I also agree. There should be plenty of good deals out there. A FZ6 should get lots and lots of miles if serviced and maintained properly. Ask Vegasrider Kenny. He probably has 100,000 miles by now on his 06 I believe? My 07 however has only 12,200 and I would not sell mine for what I paid for it. I just love it. Of course I have done lots and lots of mods. It's only 5 miles to work so I haven't got tons of miles on her. :thumbup:

dalco

Reaction score
Visit site
Good advice about searching around. The FZ6 must be a great bike because all the dealers tack on another $1500 on top of the private sellers' prices. I can't get mine to budge on the price! The only "things" they "add" are the state inspection, fluid replacement, and 30 day warrantee. Doesn't add up to $1500 if you ask me.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Damn, guess no one is going to want to buy mine when I get around to selling it. Almost at 60k miles now.

No real mechanical problems so far. A couple clutch cables, a clutch (this one was more my fault than the bike), steering bearings, chain and sprockets at about 35k miles, and that's about it. Valves were checked about 8k miles ago and still within spec. Doesn't burn a drop of oil and transmission shifts normally

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Damn, guess no one is going to want to buy mine when I get around to selling it. Almost at 60k miles now.

No real mechanical problems so far. A couple clutch cables, a clutch (this one was more my fault than the bike), steering bearings, chain and sprockets at about 35k miles, and that's about it. Valves were checked about 8k miles ago and still within spec. Doesn't burn a drop of oil and transmission shifts normally

No reason with good care you can't get well over 100k, heck 150k miles out of these fine inline 4's.

Don't forget to lube that clutch cable ;)

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
No reason with good care you can't get well over 100k, heck 150k miles out of these fine inline 4's.

Don't forget to lube that clutch cable ;)

Agreed, with proper maintenance, these bikes are as reliable as anything else out there.

As for the clutch cable, I'd rather replace it than lube it. A new OEM cable is about 30 bucks up here.

dalco

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure I've seen any of these, unless they're 2005 or older, or F6ZR, which should be significantly less, money wise, than that FZ6, because of the detuned engine.

By the way, according to Wikipedia, there are 2 versions of the engine for the FZ6: one with 70+hp, the other with 90+hp. What's with that? Is it a mistake?? I thought all FZ6's had the 90+ hp engines and only the FZ6R had the detuned engines. Do I have to "check" each FZ6 to make sure it has the "S" version with 90+ hp?

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
redger actually yes the fz6 exist detuned as well before the fz6r (xj6 for us europeans) came around.

when the fz6 s2 came around it had the full power, but the fz6 s1 (namely the 06 model with the black frame) kept being produced as a detuned model. i don t know if this practice was carried over in the states. there is a recent discussion on the forum about this issue also