buying a new helmet

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Icon makes a surprisingly good helmet given their price point, and their design department is top notch IMO. I personally find them to be a bit heavy though for my own taste.

aaronrosencrans

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree. Icon makes great-looking gear but they tend to be a little on the heavy side. It's all a matter of preference. As long as it protects your head and it looks good, I'm all about it.

kris_fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
i was also looking at the joe rocket carbon fiber helmet, but it is slightly out of my range. i guess i could just save for a bit more and get that helmet instead. any other good helmet recommendations?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i was also looking at the joe rocket carbon fiber helmet, but it is slightly out of my range. i guess i could just save for a bit more and get that helmet instead. any other good helmet recommendations?

I know a few people that have the CF helmets and they like them a lot, lightweight and well built.

Although expensive, but if you ever use it then Insurance should cover replacement, so it is truly a one time investment,

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to ride with a shoei helmet and it was wonderful.

Now i have a HJC paradox and I do not like it nearly as much. There's a lot more wind draft inside the helmet, and the visor only has 3 settings, up, half way, and down. Its light weight and decent comfort make it a mid quality helmet in my opinion.

The shoei had notches along the whole elliptical so you could adjust how open your visor is. Also was very comfortable with little to no draft inside the helmet.

If i had to do it over again, i would stick with shoei.

FZTofer

The Gamer
Reaction score
Visit site
Joe Rocket helmets are actually made by HJC btw so if you like HJC helmets the joe rocket won't be diffrent... IMO I like the Icon Better... but I'm getting the Scorpion EXO-700 Neon for birthday/christmas and I have only heard good things about Scorpion helmets... Don't know anyone that owns a Icon but they look nice and the look pretty well built so I don't see why its a bad choice

Rant Over...

paulman

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently bought the Domain decay helmet from Icon. Overall I am happy with it. Fits my head better than other helmets I have worn. Seems to be about the same weight as my HJC even though its a pretty large helmet. Graphics and appearance are top notch and just overall feels safe. Only complaint is that the vents dont seem to be very functional. The helmet is well vented but it doesnt seem to make a difference whether they are opened are closed it always sounds/feels the same. I think if I really wanted to do some cold weather riding id put a small piece of tape over the holes in the vents to solve the problem. Other than that very happy.

pottie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Take your time when you get one and get the one fit comfortalbe for your head...it took me a while to decide as well and I went with ARAI Quantum after tried SHOEI as well, I wear glasses so I m a bit picky to choose cz I want to make sure I got the right one a bit pricey but it felt very comfortable and fit right when I put on Quantum.
Arai making helmet according to shape of human head so make sure your helmet shape is close match with your head shape...
Just listen to your head....good luck and congrat for new helmet....

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
All I will say is make sure it is comfortable and snug, and that it is SNELL rated.
SNELL spec's are more stringent than DOT. When it comes to your noodle, don't save a few bucks!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is the Dodge Charger Daytona wings supposed to do anything? Looks like a nice helmet otherwise. What price did they quote you?

ReblTeen84

Übernerd
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an HJC Sy-Max II and a Scorpion EXO-700...I prefer the 700 by leaps and bounds and while it wasn't cheap, it wasn't the most expensive helmet on the racks either.

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
There's several threads on helmets in this Forum - I'd recommend looking at some before you buy. There are a lot of excellent helmets out there that don't cost an arm & a leg to get you very good protection.
Also check out this link for reviews of helmets: Motorcycle Helmets - webBikeWorld

FZTofer

The Gamer
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an HJC Sy-Max II and a Scorpion EXO-700...I prefer the 700 by leaps and bounds and while it wasn't cheap, it wasn't the most expensive helmet on the racks either.

Fo Sho the EXO 700 is an awesome helmet for the price... Which is Why I Put the Neon one At The Top of My Christmas List :thumbup: lol

F

FZSex

Just try it on before you buy. My head works for HJC (that CL-SP is a SUPER value), Shoei (I have an x11) and Scorpion.

Cagers are definitely seeing the new helmet and jacket :rockon:

Icon has some quality stuff, I don't think you can go wrong if it fits you well.

jacket.jpg

FZTofer

The Gamer
Reaction score
Visit site
Just try it on before you buy. My head works for HJC (that CL-SP is a SUPER value), Shoei (I have an x11) and Scorpion.

Cagers are definitely seeing the new helmet and jacket :rockon:

Icon has some quality stuff, I don't think you can go wrong if it fits you well.

jacket.jpg

Ahh you got the jacket too?? thats sweet, I would want it if it where a shorter jacket... Maybe if I start taking some long trips I'll invest in the jacket :thumbup:

BTW That helmet is hott and Visible and it will protect your Brain Bucket

F

FZSex

Theres always this guy here... Its not a COLD weather jacket but definitely a cool to hot jacket (its on my short list for Spring...all my jackets are gonna be hiviz).

Sorry for the hijack

Olympia GT Air
gt_air_neon.jpg

FZTofer

The Gamer
Reaction score
Visit site
Theres always this guy here... Its not a COLD weather jacket but definitely a cool to hot jacket (its on my short list for Spring...all my jackets are gonna be hiviz).

Sorry for the hijack

Olympia GT Air
gt_air_neon.jpg

Oh nice, I'll look into that thanks much man :thumbup:

Pimpson

Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbup: on the Scorpion EXO700. A bit noisy, but I think any helmet on this bike is gonna be loud. I love mine. I did ruin the anti fog coating on the inside of my shield though. I washed it and rubbed the inside with a towel to dry. oops, guess your not supposed to do that. :banghead: