bubbly idle w/leo's...w/vid

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
So I don't know why the bike does this, it maybe normal but I dunno. When I have the db killers in the muffler it seems to never do this, but when I take them out, the idle bounces around...usually for the first 10 min or so of riding, but sometimes takes longer to smooth out. This is a quick video right after I started it showing you what I mean. Does anyone elses bike do this? Is there any way to stop it? I figured by now it would have recognized the exhaust and corrected itself.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EgrUrt6Fvg]YouTube - Fz6 idle[/ame]

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '06 with stock exhaust. And since the led analog tach is crappy just today I switched it to digital readout. I noticed mine did the same as yours. it bounced back and forth from about 970 to approx. 1050. I'm guessing yours didn't do this with stock exhaust or you wouldn't be asking now.

I have a buddy who owns a performance shop. He keeps harping on how these bikes need to be tuned with PC and dyno especially when removing the cat pipe as you have done with installation of the Leo's. FWIW I think that's his business to get bikes totally dialed in squeezing the best performance out of them. For my purposes and the way I ride I can't be too concerned about a jumpy idle because for all intents and purposes the bike really runs perfect.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's as a result of reduced backflow with the less restricted exhaust....It does it even after a PC111 & dyno map is made....

:thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's as a result of reduced backflow with the less restricted exhaust....It does it even after a PC111 & dyno map is made....

Yes, if you put one hand on one exhaust and stop it's flow you will see it smooths right out. As the engine warms it's rate may change. It only happens at idle and should not be a problem. Mine also did it even after a dyno with a PClll.

LunchBox04V

That Subaru Guy
Reaction score
Visit site
Just did my Leo's with the cat pipe and I have the exact same idle as you. +1 for back pressure being the solution. I am not going to worry about it now... However, the disc with the holes in it much help if installed. Just a guess though.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dont let it get tyo you folks....unless you restrict your exhaust, and create backflow, you aint gonna stop it....i dont think you can do much about it...

My bike has been doing it for 30000km's...i had forgotten about it even, till this thread reminded me about it.