Brake service, anyone done it?

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
In my manual it says under periodic maintenance and repair:

Hydraulic Brake Service:
Every two years replace the internal components of the brake master cylinders and calipers, and change the brake fluid.

Anyone actually changed the caliper and cylinder internals on their bike??

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
In my manual it says under periodic maintenance and repair:

Hydraulic Brake Service:
Every two years replace the internal components of the brake master cylinders and calipers, and change the brake fluid.

Anyone actually changed the caliper and cylinder internals on their bike??

Yes, I did about 13 months ago on my '04. A complete overhaul of the front brakes, rebuilt caliper, new pads, replaced brake lines and rebuilt the master cylinder. Just because I felt it was needed.

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
was it easy enough to get the parts from a main dealer? If you dont mind me asking, how much did u spend roughly?

W

wrightme43

Also copper ions which are a indicator of the brake fluids corrosion inhibitors failing, and moisture.

Change your brake fluid every year, or more if you race. If you do this your seals, and mastercyl will last for a very long time. Just my experince and opinion.

Its one of those systems that cant fail.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I took the manual to the shop with me, read the "replace internal parts" part and they looked at me like I was crazy. They said if I changed the fluid every 2 years, I could avoid changing the internals. It was a Honda dealership not Yami but they sell Honda sport bikes. The lady in the parts department has a whole lot of experience. I may ask a Yami dealer.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
The master cylinder rebuilt kit is $15~ on ronayers.com, $20 at a dealer or so.
Rebuilding the calipers is a little bit more expensive.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just flushed my fluid after 2 years and it was SLIGHTLY darker than the new stuff I put in. Just enough to where I could sort of tell when the new stuff was getting bled out. So, maybe in another 2 years I will do an overhaul on them, but probably not until then.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I change the brake fluid every couple years and every other oil change take the pads out and clean and lubricate the sliders, I check the seals at the same time. When they start seeping, I'll replace them then. I have never seen a seal get so bad that enough fluid came out to affect braking performance, catch the problem early enough and it's a non-issue

Now having said that, the R6 front master cylinder that I have could definitely use a rebuild as the movement is notchy when you put some good pressure on it. The current style radial R6 master that's in the mail to me should take care of that :)