Boneman's Bi-Xenon HID projector mod - In Progress

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
All thanks to member 'Gozilla' and his post about Bi-Xenon H4 & H7 HID projectors and for selling his extra H4 & H7 projectors, I deceided to tackle this project this weekend. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/14963-bi-xenon-projector-angel-eye-installed.html

This is probably the biggest electrical mod I've undertaken and the task seemed daunting at first. My biggest concern was finding physical space for mounting two sets of controller units and two ballasts in the front fairings...along with my already mounted Stebel Horn, POD light and LED blinker wiringin and relays. So after thinking about it for several weeks now, I said "screw it" and just dove in and went for it. The attitude I take when doing a mod is that I'm going to do it and make it work; period. Any issues I run into along the way are just problems that can be solved.

Removing and taking apart the front assembly/headlights wasn't that bad and thank god I put quick disconnects on all the previous wiring mods I've done!

DSCF4861.JPG

DSCF4862.JPG

Next to finding space to mount stuff, the whole "headlights in the oven" thing freaked me out the most, but as it turns out, it was really an easy process.

200 deg for 20 minutes and the lens covers pulled right off!

DSCF4863.JPG

Once the lenses were off, I fully committed myself to doing this mod by painting my reflectors black. I like the look of HID projectors with a black background. Since these projectors still need the reflectors for mounting and you can't remove them, I deceided to paint them black (the porjectors don't use the reflectors).

DSCF4864.JPG

DSCF4865.JPG

After the paint dried overnight, I installed the projector housings into the reflectors.

DSCF4867.JPG

Using the supplied lens sealant, I re-attached the lenses.

DSCF4869.JPG

Then I re-assembled the headlights back into the front faring. This made it quite easy to work on and to figure out where to place and attach everything in the kit.

Welcome to my nightmare!

DSCF4871.JPG

Right side (H4)

DSCF4872.JPG

Left Side (H7) - VERY crowded with having the Steble horn here too, but I did manage to get everything in place. Needless to say, but the left side is now full up!

DSCF4873.JPG

I mounted the ballasts using industrial Velcro with adhesive backing. This way it holds them secure, but i can remove them easily if I need to replace them.

I managed to get the entire front assembly back on and bolted onto the bike last night and completed most of the wiring on the right side (the easy side). I'm taking my time with this mod as there is a fair amount of wiring to do and at the same time I am re-working and cleaning up some of my other wiring from my POD lights/switch and horn wiring. i figure another few evenings and I hope to be done and rinding again by Thursday.

The nice thing about this retro fit HID kit, is that you can use the exisiting headlight aiming adjustments for moving and aiming the new projectors since they are mounted into the adjustable reflectors!

I will keep you posted on my progress. Mod time so far - 5 hours.

Last edited:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
looks like a $hit load of wires. hopefully you get it all done

Lol, yeah, but it's really not as bad as it looks. The HID hookup, although a fair amount of wires, is pretty straight forward. Just takes time to figure out the best way to route the wires and keep them clean looking.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Lol, yeah, but it's really not as bad as it looks. The HID hookup, although a fair amount of wires, is pretty straight forward. Just takes time to figure out the best way to route the wires and keep them clean looking.

very nice! can't wait to see it finished.

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
So far so good I hope. You must have a lot of patience. I wish I could take a project on like this myself. Good luck on finishing it up.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
What HID kit did you use? They don't look like the slim ballasts.

Same HID kit that Gozilla used (click on the link in 1st post). It was a "custom" kit in that the kits only come as either H4s or H7, not a mix of both. Gozilla bought both kits and used one projector from each kit and sold the 2 spares he had left.

Ballasts are just regular ballasts I found on eBay as they were not included with the kits.

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
Lookin' good Boneman. I have always wanted to do this mod but I don't think I have that much patience! Besides I don't have a garage to work in and I don't think I will be able to leave my bike like that outside :(

Nice write up though, like always, will come in handy when I do take the plunge.

Thanks,
M.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good. Can't wait to see it on the bike with the blacked-out housings. Should look really clean.

dantow

The Phoenix
Reaction score
Visit site
I think a lot more people will take the plunge and do this mod. nice write up and pics. can't wait to see the finished project

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
subscribed!

how did you paint the reflectors?

Keep us updated!

With paint :Flip:

...ok I'll stop being an a$$.... :thumbup:

1. Masked off the reflectors to protect the rest of the housing from overspray (see pics).
2. Used two light coats of grey rattle can primer. The oven was still warm (off) from removing the lens covers so I put it back in the over to let the remaining heat help cure the primer (not nessicarry but I was impatient and wanted it to dry faster).
3. Couple light coats of rattle can gloss black. Was going to use Satin Black, but was almost out of it so I used gloss instead.
4. Let dry and remove the masking and you're done!

s4mt3k

Reaction score
Visit site
With paint :Flip:

Loooll

one day i'll man up and paint something... i'm always so afraid of paint, i'd rather work with a bunch of electrical wiring...
i wanna plasti-dip a the vw emblem on my car and i've been trying to gather up the courage for the last 6 months loool

thats y im always like; so how did u paint this? i'm trying to feed off other ppls confidence in painting stuff

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Painting is easy, painting clean is harder. And besides, Plastidip peels right off if you don't like it.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Loooll

one day i'll man up and paint something... i'm always so afraid of paint, i'd rather work with a bunch of electrical wiring...
i wanna plasti-dip a the vw emblem on my car and i've been trying to gather up the courage for the last 6 months loool

thats y im always like; so how did u paint this? i'm trying to feed off other ppls confidence in painting stuff

I get asked this question a lot, so I've now created a little "How To Paint" guide in the How To section: http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/16967-how-paint-basic-guide.html#post214134

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
UPDATE - Almost done!

Spent another 2.5 hours on it last night and came soooo close to fnishing it up! If it wasn't for re-doing my existing POD light wiring, I'd be done.

Anyway, I hope to have it completed tonight.

I powered up the bike and had the Angel Eyes lit up and working and nothing blew up and didn't smelll anything burning so that's a good thing! :thumbup:

Here are a few more pics:

Right Side all wired, labeled and cleaned up.
DSCF4878.JPG

Left Side all wired and packed in like sardines! This was a bit of a night mare for wiring.
DSCF4879.JPG

DSCF4880.JPG

The new 'face' of my FZ6! Finally a front end I enjoy looking at! I think painting the reflectors black was the best way to go to complete the HID look.
DSCF4881.JPG

DSCF4884.JPG

So I have about 5 more wires to terminate, then put everything back on and hope like hell that the Left and Right fairing pieces will still fit back on! If not, I have my Dremel at the ready! :eek: