Bike is dumping oil.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That is such a bitch... That's why I don't like buying used bikes unless its from someone I know... Someone did a cheap fix and dumped the bike...

I gather you've never been under the sprocket cover to clean/inspect under there?

seanalan329

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking other than holding the chains mud slinger, strip the case and weld it up. :don'tknow: :don'tknow: need better pic first.
That's basically all the damage. I've had it about a month and pour about 4k miles on it. Stripping it and welding would be the most economical of course, hard to say how long the first weld lasted.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, if it was JB weld (as posted in an earlier post), its certainly not as strong as a true TIG weld.

I suspect, the high vibration spit out the JB stuff. The JB, if it's near the output bearing isn't giving any support to the sprocket output bearing either.

If you can clean up the area and snap another picture would help in deciding if a true TIG weld would be feasable. Pick all the crap out too.

If its in-between (including both halfs) the upper and lower cases or directly supporting that bearing, its going to be VERY iffy welding...

seanalan329

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, if it was JB weld (as posted in an earlier post), its certainly not as strong as a true TIG weld.

I suspect, the high vibration spit out the JB stuff. The JB, if it's near the output bearing isn't giving any support to the sprocket output bearing either.

If you can clean up the area and snap another picture would help in deciding if a true TIG weld would be feasable. Pick all the crap out too.

If its in-between (including both halfs) the upper and lower cases or directly supporting that bearing, its going to be VERY iffy welding...

These pictures aren't the best and were taken before I had a chance to really clean up the area. I had to come into work today but my mechanic is going to clean it to see what can be done.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm trying to figure out what originally caused the issue... tight chain plus hard shifting put too much stress on the sprocket?

As for repair... it looks possible to get a pen in there with the chain and sprocket off, but I think the problem is going to be cleaning the area. It's gotta be spotless if if you're going to get a clean TIG weld.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Just now saw the earlier post about it missing a chunk. Perhaps it had a catastrophic chain failure, and it whipped that tab off damaging the case?

This is actually kind of a bonus... it means there's room to add metal for strength. If it can be sealed with a clean bead along the crack, an additional chunk can be added for strength. Just looking at the pictures though, it's tough to say if a welder can do a thorough job with everything on the bike.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm trying to figure out what originally caused the issue... tight chain plus hard shifting put too much stress on the sprocket?

As for repair... it looks possible to get a pen in there with the chain and sprocket off, but I think the problem is going to be cleaning the area. It's gotta be spotless if if you're going to get a clean TIG weld.

Normally you'd bake the oil out before welding so it needs gutted. The back side of the bearing where the half circle is has an oil path, although I think its the return to the crankcase, but it may be the feed for the shaft in the transmission. Need to look real close the oiling diagram in the FSM.

Very sorry to see such a thing happen. It least it didn't cause a wreck. Have you thought about contacting the previous owner? If you got swinging good deal, maybe not. If you paid a premium - I'd be thinking about it.

Look at the "broke my gears thread". Is that in your skill set, do you have friends and a place to do something like that?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its really hard to tell with that goo still in there.

The one picture shows the sprocket has been removed once before (the retainer has two bends in it). As best I can tell, all the damage appears in the upper half case.

Hopefully, its not too close to the output shaft oil seal.

Once your mechainic gets the sprocket off and all that JB weld out, you'll have a better idea of your options.

As Randy mentioned earlier, did you buy the bike from a dealer (with some sort of a warranty?). If so, I'd be looking real hard at that potential option.

Here's the thread of an engine tear down due to an issue with the transmission. Somewhat long but VERY informative:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/48071-broken-my-gears.html

Last edited:

seanalan329

Reaction score
Visit site
It was was a private sale so I really don't have any options short clocking the guy in the jaw out of frustration. He did mention it had a new chain. I should have noticed the sprocket cover was missing a bolt.

I am talking with another member about a complete crankcase, with a really good deal, so I'll probably be taking that off his hands even if we're able to weld it.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
YIKES!
I'm not sure what kind of deal you can get on the case halves but you MUST HAVE a MATCHED SET TOP TO BOTTOM as the line bore for the crank and transmission are done "as one", paired for life so mix and match is not an option.

In this diagram they are sold as a pair. If it comes down to it, see if the pistons and rings could acquired during purchase. Or the complete crank, rods, bearings, pistons, but now the cost may be crazy. I say this because the pistons/rings are also married to those bores so slapping your bottom end in a new case brings additional cost and set up fees.

Welding is likely the best option but removal of the epoxy must happen first. I've seen cracks drilled and plugged so it really just depends where it is, if it intersect high pressure oil or just splash oil.

With it clean you stand a better chance of making an informed decision about the next step.

http://joiseyboyz.com/moto/fz607/crankcase.gif

seanalan329

Reaction score
Visit site
In this diagram they are sold as a pair. If it comes down to it, see if the pistons and rings could acquired during purchase. Or the complete crank, rods, bearings, pistons, but now the cost may be crazy. I say this because the pistons/rings are also married to those bores so slapping your bottom end in a new case brings additional cost and set up fees.

http://joiseyboyz.com/moto/fz607/crankcase.gif

It appears to be everything minus the covers. (Cylinder head cover, Generator rotor cover, Shift shaft cover, Pickup rotor cover, Clutch cover)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Installing your cam's (besides R&Ring the engine) would be the biggest thing but all your other parts would swap over...

AND, you'd have a bunch of spare parts (transmission, etc).

Will it fit in a "if it fits, it ships" box??? :)

Last edited:

seanalan329

Reaction score
Visit site
Curiosity kills, so what happened here? [MENTION=24158]seanalan329[/MENTION]

I had my mechanic try an salvage the original engine. He had a metal worker do some welding over the crack/hole and he did some more welds. It still leaks a bit, hardly noticeable. Now I'm just waiting for it to fail again.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
It was was a private sale so I really don't have any options short clocking the guy in the jaw out of frustration. He did mention it had a new chain. I should have noticed the sprocket cover was missing a bolt.

I am talking with another member about a complete crankcase, with a really good deal, so I'll probably be taking that off his hands even if we're able to weld it.

The previous owner could have killed someone by hiding the mechanical issue like this.

I'm talking about liability. Should failure to disclose such of this condition be considered fraud? (maybe Scott has an answer since he's law enforcement retiree). :rolleyes:

Good luck with your quest to fix it and get back to the road!