Bike is dumping oil.

seanalan329

Reaction score
Visit site
On my way to work something went wrong. To start, I'm not sure if it's related, but during a shift I had a really high rev then a half a mile later I started leaking a lot of oil. It stopped while I turned it off. I can't really tell where it's coming from until I remove some stuff. It seems to be behind the chain cover next to the starter. Any ideas? :confused:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On my way to work something went wrong. To start, I'm not sure if it's related, but during a shift I had a really high rev then a half a mile later I started leaking a lot of oil. It stopped while I turned it off. I can't really tell where it's coming from until I remove some stuff. It seems to be behind the chain cover next to the starter. Any ideas? :confused:

Were you able to ride it home/add oil, How does it run now, miss firing at all? You need to pull some covers off.

I'm hoping you didn't let loose a connecting rod (not likely) on that missed rev and put a hole in the block.

There's not much to leak behind that cover short of the output seal and the over rev wouldn't make that fail. I have a suspicion it won't be good but I hope I'm wrong...

Please post some pictures as you get close to where the oils coming from, pay close attention for any cracks, hairline or otherwise in the block...

seanalan329

Reaction score
Visit site
After the high rev it seemed to run fine, I said I ran for a half but probably more like a full mile and nothing seemed off. Then the engine light came on. It's at a gas station right now and I'm going to tow it to my brother-in-law's shop. I'll follow up in the next couple of hours.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Hm, it's not the oil filter? That's there in that area of the bike, too. Just thinking of the simple things before we get too deep.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If nothing obvious shows, lift the tank and open up the air cleaner housing. S

Sometimes with excess blow by, oil gets into the bottom of the air filter housing.

Your over rev may have blown some oil in there and now its running out.. dry it out and keep an eye on it.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
a shift I had a really high rev then a half a mile later I started leaking a lot of oil.

Really high rev? Mine bounces off the rev limiter from time to time :rockon: .. nothing wrong with that Thats what its there for! Shouldnt be a reason to cause damage.

Didnt overfill the oil?

seanalan329

Reaction score
Visit site
If nothing obvious shows, lift the tank and open up the air cleaner housing. S

Sometimes with excess blow by, oil gets into the bottom of the air filter housing.

Your over rev may have blown some oil in there and now its running out.. dry it out and keep an eye on it.
I'll check but I doubt it. This dumped all my oil I think. I'm at the shop now. Hold for updates.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Chain jump off and punch a hole in the case, light came on cause its low on oil????

If the oil filter is fine, I'd be pulling the cover over the front sprocket and have a look.

How was the chain looking at the last maintenance cycle? Was it kinky?

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll check but I doubt it. This dumped all my oil I think. I'm at the shop now. Hold for updates.

Of course dumping all of the oil at once is bad. Are there any external oil lines on this engine? Maybe over-reving caused excess oil pressure causing some sort of seal failure? I'm trying to be optimisitc :eek: but the connecting rod\hole in the case ranks high. The engine continued to run just fine, no excessive noise, etc.?

seanalan329

Reaction score
Visit site
My guess is the chain came off on the previous owner and took out the receiver for the chain cover bolt, you'll notice that it's missing if my picture upload correctly. Then they might have used JB Weld to fix it.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am sorry to hear about your issues; hopefully it was explained that there may have been some issues when you bought the bike (Although I would not be surprised if teh previous owner witheld this tidbit).

Just wanted to throw it out there; i have a motor from an 07' that I have begun to part out. I can give you a heck of a deal in the complete lower assembly if you are at all interested.

Good luck getting back out on the road!!

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
My guess is the chain came off on the previous owner and took out the receiver for the chain cover bolt, you'll notice that it's missing if my picture upload correctly. Then they might have used JB Weld to fix it.

:eek: That picture will burn into my memory and be checked on all future used bike purchases.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wholly CRAP!!!! If I'm not mistaken, a rather large piece of the case is missing!

Chain jump off and punch a hole in the case, light came on cause its low on oil????

If the oil filter is fine, I'd be pulling the cover over the front sprocket and have a look.

How was the chain looking at the last maintenance cycle? Was it kinky?

49543d1375982923-bike-dumping-oil-20130808_102800.jpg

attachment.php

seanalan329

Reaction score
Visit site
Wholly CRAP!!!! If I'm not mistaken, a rather large piece of the case is missing!
Yeah, tell me about! There's a chunk missing out of the lower receiver too. There was no sign of any leak prior to it falling today. Any repair possible. I got an eye on a crankcase in town but it will be some work to assemble everything. How much work is the timing on these motors?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you take a zoomed out picture as it appears the part that is missing is from the upper block which implies you'd be swapping pistons into a different block if you only bought the damaged part. This may not go well as you need the upper and lower engine cases as pair and this may require different engine bearings for the crank to have correct oil clearances. I'm not sure how tight Yamaha held the crank bore spec. so maybe its not an issue.

A better picture to isolate what is missing and extent of damage. If possible keeping it square to the bike so everything aligns easily for our eyes.

Sorry.. .. ..
How long have you had it?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you take a zoomed out picture as it appears the part that is missing is from the upper block which implies you'd be swapping pistons into a different block if you only bought the damaged part. This may not go well as you need the upper and lower engine cases as pair and this may require different engine bearings for the crank to have correct oil clearances. I'm not sure how tight Yamaha held the crank bore spec. so maybe its not an issue.

A better picture to isolate what is missing and extent of damage. If possible keeping it square to the bike so everything aligns easily for our eyes.

Sorry.. .. ..
How long have you had it?

I'm thinking other than holding the chains mud slinger, strip the case and weld it up. :don'tknow: :don'tknow: need better pic first.