Beware the Deer!

surfinfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the story. I usually ride without pants, but not anymore!

Is that blood in the pictures? If so, is it yours or the deer's? Hardcore either way...

Hah! well, I'm not sure what you see in the pics, but I'm pretty sure there is no blood from either the deer or myself in any of them.

As for the pants, I'm happy to hear that, and I can only hope that you really do wear them all the time. :thumbup:

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually ride without pants

Hey, that's not what they mean by "going naked."

I have a friend who insists that he has hit a bear twice in his riding career. Another friend witnessed the one incident, so I guess it's legit. These were the friendly West Virginia black bears. Not those grumpy brown ones you have on the left coast. He said it's odd how the bear stopped him like a soft brick wall. They looked at eachother and the bear scurried off with narry a limp. Impressive.

surfinfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I would not want to be laying on the ground next to what I would imagine is a very angry black bear. They may not be as big and bad as browns, but they can still do some damage. I will stick with my deer thank you... haha.

surfinfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
First off, I would like to thank everyone for their warm wishes. It's a great thing to have the support of the motorcycling community behind you when things go wrong. Thanks everyone!

Next, I heard back from the insurance company today. It is indeed a total loss, and I will be taking the full check and giving them the bike. The value of the bike is $5900 after taxes, which is good for me considering that I only paid $4500 for it. The buy back on my bike was far too high for me to be interested in at $2300. So, I will be going shopping for a nice new toy soon. FUN!

While i'm on the subject, since I've given my opinion about everything else... CARRY GOOD INSURANCE!!!!! I have excellent coverage and pay $18 dollars a month! Now isn't that worth it considering that when I crashed into a deer, they paid for the bike, bought me a new helmet, and gave me enough extra to go buy an aerostich and more? It makes me curious why some people carry liability only on their bikes. If you can't afford the extra $10 a month for good coverage, you shouldn't be spending your money on motorcycles. :rant: That's all... done ranting...

Well, thanks again for reading my story and I hope everyone rides safe and has fun!

ecurb

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the great input on your experience. You haven't talked much about how you'll replace the bike. What bikes are you considering?

surfinfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the great input on your experience. You haven't talked much about how you'll replace the bike. What bikes are you considering?

Well, actually I'm not too sure about that yet. I really liked the FZ6 a lot, but I may take the opportunity to try something new. I tend to like to get new things all the time anyway... it's just the way I am. I have been thinking I'd like to hit some of the logging/fire roads that are everywhere around here. There are probably more dirt roads in Maine than there are paved roads. So, I'll be ckecking out the new KLR, V-strom, and maybe some others. I want to be able to ride comfortably for most of a day, but I want to be able to feel comfortable in the dirt too. I won't be doing much single track type riding, but some of the "roads" around here get rough enough to need a little ground clearance. Who knows... there are too many great bikes in the world, and I just can't have them all at the same time... oh well.

If any of you have any suggestions, I'm all ears...

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice to know you'll be OK after some healing and better to know you're not broken up! Sorry about the bike! I was going to psot to let you know I'm coming through tomorrow on the way to Old Town and back through on Monday. I was hoping to at least meet for a coffee and a short ride. Just glad you're OK!

Where did this happen since I know the area? I'll be sure to avoid that neck of the woods this weekend!

surfinfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice to know you'll be OK after some healing and better to know you're not broken up! Sorry about the bike! I was going to psot to let you know I'm coming through tomorrow on the way to Old Town and back through on Monday. I was hoping to at least meet for a coffee and a short ride. Just glad you're OK!

Where did this happen since I know the area? I'll be sure to avoid that neck of the woods this weekend!

Well, I'm out of a bike at the moment, so I can't really do the ride, but I could get out for coffee if you want... Let me know and I can PM my number if you are interested.

I hit the deer on route 94 between Garland and Corinth. I was enjoying the ride, just exploring the area... until I went down anyway. Hah!

surfinfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
Bikes in the Fast Lane - Daily Motorcycle News

Try one of these...
It isn't pretty but it will rock your world!;):thumbup:

Wow... yeah, I've been drooling over the KTM bikes for a while now, but I just can't justify the price tag. I am not nearly enough of a dirt rider to be able to use the potential in those bikes... it would be going to waste. Maybe some day, but for now I'll stick to a more humble bike. Thanks for the suggestion though!

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you are OK. I agree ATGATT!
V-strom or Versys are both excellent choices. KLR is quite different. V-Strom a little better for off road compared to versys.

surfinfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you are OK. I agree ATGATT!
V-strom or Versys are both excellent choices. KLR is quite different. V-Strom a little better for off road compared to versys.

Yeah, I really like the strom, but they are really hard to find used around here. I sat on a versys at the local shop, and I like it, but I'm not really sure what it is... it's not really a dual sport, and it's really really tall for a sport bike. It's probably actually a great bike, but I'm gonna wait to hear more on it. I've always wanted a KLR, it is so loved by almost everyone that owns one, and it is one tough bugger. On the other hand, it's pretty crude compared to most modern bikes... even the '08 is pretty basic. I'd like to get one of the '08 KLRs out for a test ride, but they are too new for them to be turning up used just yet.

surfinfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
This is the one I keep drooling over, nor could I ever justify the price tag as well.

BMW HP2 - webBikeWorld

I am also in love with this....

Ducati Hypermotard - webBikeWorld

I do so love my hooligan bikes:D:thumbup:

Now I think you guys are just trying to be mean! :D I would love to have either, but again, the price is waaaaay to much. Especially that bmw. I hear they actually throw in a trip to their dirt school for free when you buy one of those. That's a pretty expensive class! Come to think of it, why the hell would anyone pay 20k for a dirt bike in the first place? Oh wait... because they can! I sure hate the super rich folks who buy crap they don't even use while the rest of us, who are more likely to use it, can't even afford to look! On the other hand, it gives me great joy to outride guys in their trophy toys on a bike that is one of the best bargains in the industry. :Flip:

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Now I think you guys are just trying to be mean! :D I would love to have either, but again, the price is waaaaay to much. Especially that bmw. I hear they actually throw in a trip to their dirt school for free when you buy one of those. That's a pretty expensive class! Come to think of it, why the hell would anyone pay 20k for a dirt bike in the first place? Oh wait... because they can! I sure hate the super rich folks who buy crap they don't even use while the rest of us, who are more likely to use it, can't even afford to look! On the other hand, it gives me great joy to outride guys in their trophy toys on a bike that is one of the best bargains in the industry. :Flip:

One of my joys in life is while deep in a turn scraping the pegs, wave at the bikes in the on coming traffic and totally trip out the the guys on there Ducati's and stuff:Flip:

Though I do have to admit, there is a guy around here on a hypermotard and he is FREAKING FAST! The only thing that seems to keep up in the turns is another local Aprilia, super motard, that guy is amazing in the turns, though we do catch him in the straights everytime:thumbup:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Do not the deer avoidance devices have any value? I have noticed that these never/rarely seem to be mentioned. I think they work on some kind of piercing high pitch sound that is supposed to frighten or spook deer. Don't these things work? I am still considering one but I don't want to just waste money on something that is worthless.

surfinfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
Do not the deer avoidance devices have any value? I have noticed that these never/rarely seem to be mentioned. I think they work on some kind of piercing high pitch sound that is supposed to frighten or spook deer. Don't these things work? I am still considering one but I don't want to just waste money on something that is worthless.

I didn't ever really believe that those did anything, but maybe I'm wrong. I am fairly certain that the deer did hear me, and was scared by the sound, hence the reason it tried to bolt across the road in front of me. I don't know if maybe those would have gotten it across sooner, and out of my way, but I've never heard anything solid about the little things. It seems to me that if they really worked, there would be more solid info about them, they would be more common, and maybe even built into some vehicles as standard. I think that deer have much better hearing than we do, and think about the fact that you can hear even a stock sportbike coming from at least a block away. Plenty of time to react if you are a deer. I think those little things are as useful as if someone said "some bright flashy lights might let them see you sooner"...HAH! Those stupid things will stand in the road and stare at a semi truck coming straight at them and not even move. They are just dumb. Of course, I might just be uninformed.

Pondrat

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hah! well, I'm not sure what you see in the pics, but I'm pretty sure there is no blood from either the deer or myself in any of them.

As for the pants, I'm happy to hear that, and I can only hope that you really do wear them all the time. :thumbup:

Umm, yeah - that came out wrong. I definitely wear pants on the bike (except for extra special occasions) just not proper riding pants with armor.

And as for the blood, what's that red spot on pic "Fixed 119"? maybe just some paint, but way cooler to think of it as deer's blood :thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I know that I was extremely lucky, and have definitely learned a huge lesson that will not soon be forgotten. I have read stories like this before, and I still didn't wear the complete gear every time. But, even though it never hit home for me, I hope that I can play my little part in inspiring everyone else to gear up. If one person wears more gear because of this story, than it was worth sharing... otherwise it's just a waste. Wear your gear! I learned the hard way, and still was super lucky to only get minor injuries. You may not be so lucky.

Thank you for reading my story, and ride safe!!!

:Sport:

Thanks for sharing,

I am glad that you are ok. What happened to the deer? Have you got a freezer full of venison?lol.

You are the sixth member since May to have a crash.

Nelly