Better than Expected!

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
My second oil change is complete and I feel pretty good about it. After the first change, which was a complete disaster, this one was almost fun it was so easy.

Last time I torqued the drain bolt to factory recommendations, and it came off no problems at all. For the filter that I hand tightened, it came off with my hands with no issues, and it never leaked. Screwdriver method was not required this time! I also didn't miss the oil pan when the oil started to flow! With the help of the forum, I decided to pick up Rotella 5w-40 Synthetic this go around and a K&N oil filter. Started it up, no leaks. A shop will never change the oil on my bike again.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to hear! My first change was a mess as well.

Where are you at in IN? I'm originally from Lafayette.

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site

I got a gallon at walmart for $19.00. Definitely better than paying per quart for the yamalube. The K&N Filter was 15 dollars, and I only got it because of how terrible removing the filter the first time was. Now that I do it and only hand tighten, I think I am going to get a Purolator Pure One filter next time and save some cash.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I got a gallon at walmart for $19.00. Definitely better than paying per quart for the yamalube. The K&N Filter was 15 dollars, and I only got it because of how terrible removing the filter the first time was. Now that I do it and only hand tighten, I think I am going to get a Purolator Pure One filter next time and save some cash.

I use this tool with my oilfilters...
Ölfilterschlüssel für Schraubölfilter - Für Ölwechsel - Werkzeug - Motorrad-Technik
Works great!

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
If you can remove the filter in that tight space after it has warmed up with just your hands it is probably not tight enough. Ok, it didn't leak this time but if it is just hand tight it does not take much vibration to slightly loosen the filter. Use the recommended torque of 17 Nm (12 ft-lb) and you'll be fine. I would not feel comfortable tooling down the road with just a hand tightened oil filter.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
If you can remove the filter in that tight space after it has warmed up with just your hands it is probably not tight enough....

I agree with Evitzee!

Do you remember to leave a bit of fresh engine oil on the oilfilter's gasket before you mount it? This also add's to less chance of leakage - I believe it may almost kind of glue the filter to the spot!

Last edited:

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess you guys may be right that maybe it wasn't tight enough. And yeah, I do put fresh oil on the gasket of the new filter before installing it. With the K&N filter this time, I didn't have a torque wrench with that low of a setting, so next time maybe I will invest in some more tools.