Better seat options

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
My solution is a hand made lambswool cover. You can get them custom made down here in Australia for about A$100 for the whole seat. I bought some black lambswool from an Ugg Boot maker for $20, some 1" wide elastic and a needle and thread.
Made a lambswool cover for the riders seat only as I carry a bag on the back. Now lambswool is an interesting material. We use it as an underlay on our beds down here, perfect.
End result is a very comfortable ride at the right price and custom made by myself.

:rockon:

rumpole-of-the-bailey-albums-picture-sept-2009-picture4805-01082009609.jpg

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
He is correct... some states require that sticker to stay. You can put a matte black sticker over it though, just put some paper over the original sticker to mask it, then stick the matte black one over that so it seals around the outside of it. If you *need* to peel it off, the original remains untouched.

Uh Oh... which states. :eek:

I got rid of mine right away, White sticker on a black frame what were they thinking. Anyway I wonder what one would do if they did tear it off and needed it to be there. I would think that the VIN etched on the frame would be all that's needed?

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
May I ask......where did you get your TS seat from? Is there a particular "best supplier" here in the States? Thx

I ordered off their web site and bought one of the seats that was pre-made (which happened to be exactly what I wanted). I think I ended up paying around $300 total and it was worth every penny. They were very quick to ship as well - which was really nice.

I have also found that there is a break-in period with it. It seemed a little stiff (but still very comfortable) the first time is rode it. I think FZ1inNH recommended to plant your butt way back in which is what I did and I am pleased with how it is feeling now. Went on a long ride a couple of weekends ago and never even thought about a stop - now that was cool.

I'll try to post up some photos. They may be in multiple posts since I still haven't figured out this new computer... (new mac).

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I doubt it, I can go about 100 miles before monkey butt sets in:eek:
It was about the same on the 06 VStrom I had, so I think all of the manufactures use the same seat supplier:spank:

Jerry

NO! I think it is worse!! Had an '07 and could ride for at least an hour before I had to wiggle a bit. I couldn't even do 45 minutes on the '09 - I think they put cement in the padding...

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
NO! I think it is worse!! Had an '07 and could ride for at least an hour before I had to wiggle a bit. I couldn't even do 45 minutes on the '09 - I think they put cement in the padding...

LOL, maybe you just have a sensitive derriere:D I on the other hand have an old tough one, so I can go a little further before the pain:rolleyes:

Jerry

zixxerboy

Reaction score
Visit site
My solution is a hand made lambswool cover. You can get them custom made down here in Australia for about A$100 for the whole seat. I bought some black lambswool from an Ugg Boot maker for $20, some 1" wide elastic and a needle and thread.
Made a lambswool cover for the riders seat only as I carry a bag on the back. Now lambswool is an interesting material. We use it as an underlay on our beds down here, perfect.
End result is a very comfortable ride at the right price and custom made by myself.

:rockon:

rumpole-of-the-bailey-albums-picture-sept-2009-picture4805-01082009609.jpg

I have a sheep skin cover that helps but after a tank of gas it's not enought either.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a sheepskin from a visiting New Zealander 3 years ago, and I used that for awhile, just folded under my arse. So I was sitting on a double-thick section of it, and it would get me to about the 3 hour mark, maybe 4, without much pain (including quick gas stops every hour and a half) but it was still not enough.

I really, really, ... REALLY need to do something about this seat. It's been two and a half years of me saying that, and I still never fork over the $350 for a TS seat. And now I'm semi-broke and need tires, so it ain't happenin this month either.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome Brenda! And yes, I did mention to plant yourself back and break it in that way. Good for you for remembering that. :D

Jman, once you ride on the TS seat, there IS no other seat option. It really is THAT good. I just ordered a 2nd FZ1 seat from TS. The bargain seat was a bit short in the rider's area and "the boys" were not happy with me. However, Norm tried it and because his arse isn't nearly as big as mine, fit the seat perfectly. So, we worked a deal and I ordered the LONG seat. Norm will take my seat and we both walk away happy! :D

runforfun7

Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered off their web site and bought one of the seats that was pre-made (which happened to be exactly what I wanted). I think I ended up paying around $300 total and it was worth every penny. They were very quick to ship as well - which was really nice.

Does your TS seat have the Gel in it? I was interested to hear how much of a difference the gel made on TS seats.

Thanks

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Does your TS seat have the Gel in it? I was interested to hear how much of a difference the gel made on TS seats.

Thanks

I can give you my impressions of a gel seat.

When a gel seat is HOT, it remains HOT... it doesn't cool off in a hurry, a.k.a. hot ride for a while.

When a gel seat is COLD, it is a block of ice, remains cold and hard for a long ride.

Therefore, after selling my gel seat, I'd never go back to one. I honestly believe they also create pressure points instead getting rid of them.

This is just my take. Other will have a varied opinion. :D

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
The only downside to a TS seat in my opinion is if you are the type of spirited rider who is all over the seat leaning (ie track day type riding). It can still be done but it is more difficult to get your backend across the seat on a TS seat than the flatter stock.

A lot of people balk when they see the price of the seats but to put it in perspective... I have done three expensive mods: Two brothers exhaust, the R6 front forks/brakes, and the TS seat. All of them have made the bike more fun to ride but only one of them allows me to stay on the bike longer.

Right after I got the seat I did the deal's gap trip... 550+ miles to get there and about 800 miles in 4 days and another 550+ miles home. My rear only hurt on the long hauls and even then it would only started getting sore after about 350 and only really started to burn at 500. I learned a lot of things on that trip... the best being don't wear jeans under my riding pants on long rides because you will end up with imprints of your pockets on your arse.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The only downside to a TS seat in my opinion is if you are the type of spirited rider who is all over the seat leaning (ie track day type riding). It can still be done but it is more difficult to get your backend across the seat on a TS seat than the flatter stock.

Do you mean because of the material they use that stops you from easily sliding? If so, people can custom order with a different seat material that will let them slide around a bit easier but hopefully not as much as a Corbin stock material. :D

necrotimus said:
I learned a lot of things on that trip... the best being don't wear jeans under my riding pants on long rides because you will end up with imprints of your pockets on your arse.

:rof: Absolutely true! :D

segue00

Burrrppppp, aaaaaahhhh
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have both the Corbin and the Top Sellerie for my FZ. I can say that the Top Sellerie is more comfortable and so much lighter. The Corbin's carcass weighs a ton compared to the stock.

Corbin's leather seat is slippery compared to the Synthetic cover of TS.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, after MUCH debate and research, I finally ordered my TS seat!:Flash:

After reading all the horror stories of many different forums about the terrible customer service at Corbin that sealed the deal for me. I was amazed at the arrogant representative I spoke with at Corbin. TS actually emailed me back when I asked the questions about their materials - which is leatherette BTW (sel003). Link: Artificial leather - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Being in a service industry myself, support for a product and good customer service, is a HUGE plus in my book. Anyways, a very big THANKS to everyone for all the info.:Flash:

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There is one on its way to me as well. Finally broke down and ordered one. :)